Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 06-01-2014, 07:52 AM   #1186
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by hombretranquilo View Post
Last build, koreader-nightly-20140601, don't run on Aura HD. It freezes in File manager screen. Maybe there is something wrong within new "input.lua" file.

Koreader is awesome. In fact, koreader is the reason reason that i have an Aura HD. Lots of thanks to developpers.
Thanks, I was wondering why the android build didn't work on my phone. Hadn't installed the new build on my Aura. There were some lines deleted by accident in a commit with over 40 changed files. I fixed that and send a PR.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #1187
simonchik
Enthusiast
simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3, kobo touch N905
tapping speed problem, koreader version 2014-01-01, kobo touch N905 firmware 3.3.0

Hello all, first of all thank you _so much_ for this wonderful port, looks like we finally got a usable kobo! That's quite some work you've done!

I'm using a KOBO touch N905 (or N905B? mark3 anyway), and was trying to get koreader running. Since it didn't work the first time, I chose to dig a little deeper and ended up compiling the thing myself, a version that was known to work. I am one step away from getting a fully functional thing, I was wondering if you could help me.

I can confirm that koreader version 20140101 works on a kobo touch, with firmware 2.6.1 and 3.3.0. I will post my compiling instructions later, since it differs a little bit from what's explained on the wiki.

What works for me:
  • Firmware 2.6.1 and 3.3.0, did a factory reset to get 2.6.1 back before trying 3.3.0; (http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...date-3.3.0.zip )
  • kobo-files-monitor (http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/files/kobo/fmon.zip) (pb-chess which I had installed to try coolreader DIDN'T work for me on firmware 3.3.0, probably did something wrong, don't know what though, as I tried reinstalling the damn thing a few times;
  • put koreader.png at the root of the filesystem on the kobo;
  • install koreader, version 20140101 (got it from branching the source: git checkout -b kobotouch-20140101 945e0ae23c48af31a6ccac19916639588d91524), I can post the binary here if needed), koreader/ and KoboRoot.tgz in ./kobo
  • put KT_homebutton.bin in the ./kobo/koreader/ dir (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...hmentid=122149
    &d=1398543351)
  • modify frontend/ui/input.lua for inverted X/Y:
    Code:
    --- input.lua~  2014-01-01 23:55:50.000000000 +0100
    +++ input.lua   2014-05-30 22:21:50.000000000 +0200
    @@ -24,8 +24,8 @@
     local SYN_MT_REPORT = 2

-- For single-touch events (ABS.code).
    -local ABS_X = 00
    -local ABS_Y = 01
    +local ABS_X = 01
    +local ABS_Y = 00
     local ABS_PRESSURE = 24

-- For multi-touch events (ABS.code).
  • add at the end of the koreader_kobo.sh script:
    Code:
    cat /mnt/onboard/.kobo/koreader/KT_homebutton.bin > /dev/input/event0

What DOESN'T WORK:
The tapping speed. In the menus or when I flip pages, the only way to do anything is when I tap very quickly several times. It's been reported by @olobolger (#1058). It's really too bad because it makes the whole thing unsuable, I'm sure there is a way out of this. Does anyone have a clue? That would be wonderful....

Also, I was wondering if we could make a list somewhere of what actually works on what device. I don't know if the latest nightbuilds would work on my touch or no, I've tried koreader-kobo-arm-linux-gnueabihf-v2014.04.zip but ended up corrupting my filesystem (maybe this has nothing to do with it).****EDIT: tried again. The stable version 201404 works, no need to patch input.lua or the starting script, but tapping speed problem remains. The nightly build 20140518 (koreader-kobo-arm-linux-gnueabihf-v2014.04-62-g295d040.zip) doesn't start at all.

Anyway, thank you again!

Last edited by simonchik; 06-01-2014 at 09:08 AM.
simonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #1188
simonchik
Enthusiast
simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.simonchik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

• toolchain: http://tolino.naberius.de/gcc-linaro..._linux.tar.bz2 (I guess you can also use gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf on ubuntu)
  • dependencies: autoconf automake build-essential cmake gettext git libglib2.0-dev libtool patch pkg-config subversion transifex-client wget zip
  • get the code (how come google-translate-cli is not there?!):
    Code:
    git clone git://github.com/koreader/koreader.git
    cd koreader
    git checkout -b kobotouch-20140101 4945e0ae23c48af31a6ccac19916639588d91524
    # PATCHED : koreader-base/.gitmodule : soimort/googl-translate-cli au instead of
    # koreader (NOT NEEDED)
    echo "==================================================================="
    make fetchthirdparty # will fail
    mkdir -p koreader-base
    cd koreader-base
    git clone git://github.com/soimort/google-translate-cli.git
    cd ..
    make fetchthirdparty #this time will be ok
    * install toolchain:
    Code:
    mkdir -p /opt/kobotoolchain ; tar -C /opt/kobotoolchain -xjf gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.8-2013.04-20130417_linux.tar.bz2
    * compile:
    Code:
    PATH="/opt/kobotoolchain/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-4.8-2013.04-20130417_linux/bin/:$PATH"
    USE_FIXED_POINT=1
    USE_NO_CCACHE=1
    make clean
    #THIS SHOULDN'T BE NEEDED, I USE TARBALLS OUT OF THE GIT REPO TO COMPILE
    CRENGINE_DIR=./koreader-base/kpvcrlib/crengine #/crengine/include/crsetup.h
    # CREngine patch: disable fontconfig
    grep USE_FONTCONFIG $CRENGINE_DIR/crengine/include/crsetup.h \
    && grep -v USE_FONTCONFIG \
    $CRENGINE_DIR/crengine/include/crsetup.h \
    > /tmp/new \
    && mv /tmp/new $CRENGINE_DIR/crengine/include/crsetup.h \
    || echo "USE_FONTCONFIG already disabled"
    make TARGET_DEVICE=KOBO koboupdate
    kobozip=`find koreader-kobo*.zip |sort -r |head -1`
    exit

Last edited by simonchik; 06-01-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #1189
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Thanks, I was wondering why the android build didn't work on my phone. Hadn't installed the new build on my Aura. There were some lines deleted by accident in a commit with over 40 changed files. I fixed that and send a PR.
I have the file manager up on my TF-101 with v2014.04-119-g1ebc1de.
Have to put it into portrait mode. The listing in File Manager has a keyboard of some kind with a boxed letter starting each line, not sure what that is about.
The top menu seems to be working, even "Toggle hidden files".
I had a demo .epub in the directory that File Manager opened in and it is working fine. Every thing seems to be working except the light control.

Can't navigate to any of the folders shown in the File Manager, it just sends me back to the Android page I launched Koreader from. (It has a generic Android Icon by the way, if you provided another it wasn't used.

Luck;
Ken

The demo .epub made it to the history list, and that works also. It looks like that "keyboard" is there in the history list, as well.

V2014.04-122-g76c620f seems the same.
v2014.04-139-gbac02ff the same except the keyboard shortcuts are gone. Still can't navigate to other folders.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-03-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #1190
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchik View Post
[*]kobo-files-monitor (http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/files/kobo/fmon.zip) (pb-chess which I had installed to try coolreader DIDN'T work for me on firmware 3.3.0, probably did something wrong, don't know what though, as I tried reinstalling the damn thing a few times;
The stable version 201404 works, no need to patch input.lua or the starting script, but tapping speed problem remains.
You could see whether your tapping speed problem resolves itself by avoiding Nickel altogether. Could you try installing Start Menu as detailed in the latest nightly Readme.txt?
Old 06-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #1191
simonchik
Enthusiast

OK I'll try that and let you know. Funny cos I was checking https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=135 yesterday, didn't know what it was. Thanx so much!
Old 06-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #1192
simonchik
Enthusiast

@Markismus:
Alright, so I installed Kobo Start Menu as detailed in the thread. With my 20140101 version, the problem remains, it's actually worse, sometimes I can quick-tap, sometimes not, very erratic. I tried to unpatch input.lua, but it wasn't that. In the crash file, only
Code:
NtxHwCfg_GetCfgFldStrVal:[WARNING]Config header error !!
I also tried version 201404 stable, and version 20140418, it doesn't start at all, complaining about not being able to open the light device (there is none on the touch, right?):
Code:
./luajit: ./ffi/kobolight.lua:74: cannot open light device
stack traceback: [C]: in function 'assert' ./ffi/kobolight.lua:74: in function 'open' frontend/ui/device/kobopowerd.lua:16: in function 'init' frontend/ui/device/basepowerd.lua:16: in function 'new' frontend/ui/device.lua:226: in function 'getPowerDevice'
Thanks for your help!

Last edited by simonchik; 06-02-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:16 AM   #1193
Markismus
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonchik View Post
Code:
NtxHwCfg_GetCfgFldStrVal:[WARNING]Config header error !!
This one is new. Normally it says config file to old and you can skip this error. It's from a binary file of Kobo's firmware.

If the header file generates errors, than maybe config_kobo.sh also generates errors and the device is not detected properly.

What I would do is first enable debug mode and redirect every output to a log file. You have to manually edit koreader_kobo.sh to:
Code:
# finally call reader
./reader.lua -d /mnt/onboard > koreader.log 2>&1
The first log lines should state the model detected. If that's wrong you could alter the lines 69-77 in device.lua into
Code:
self.model = "Kobo_trilogy"
Old 06-02-2014, 03:25 AM   #1194
Markismus
Guru

@simonchik You've tried a very old firmware and the newest. This thread has all the firmware versions. It stands to reason that although new firmwares keep being released for the mark 3 devices some bugs might get introduced with all the enhancements. I don't know which firmware would be best. But I would try some and look at their tap response before digging too deep.

If I were to start experimenting I would look at 2.10 and 3.0. But that's just based on my experiences with the Aura HD back then. You could post the question in the thread mentioned above.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:32 AM   #1195
Markismus
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
The listing in File Manager has a keyboard of some kind with a boxed letter starting each line, not sure what that is about.
If koreader detects a keyboard it gives shortcuts to each line. Does your device have a keyboard or is it a bug?
Old 06-02-2014, 06:02 AM   #1196
simonchik
Enthusiast

@Markismus:
Thank you for your rapid answer.
1)I tried to redirect stdout as indicated, "unfortunately" the model is detected alright:
Code:
Device model=
Kobo_trilogy
Firmware revision
Screen height =
Screen width =
2) You're right, I tried 2.6.1 because it was said to be working by someone in the thread. I'll try 2.10 and 3.0 and let you know. Thank you. ***EDIT: apparently, 2.6.1 wasn't that old after all, there is no 2.10 for the touch. So I'll try 3.0..

Last edited by simonchik; 06-02-2014 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #1197
simonchik
Enthusiast

@Markismus:
I installed firmware 3.0. Exact same problems. Is worth it to try with firmware 2.6.1?
Old 06-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #1198
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
If koreader detects a keyboard it gives shortcuts to each line. Does your device have a keyboard or is it a bug?
I installed and am using it as a tablet, without it being plugged into the keyboard/dock. It has a couple virtual keyboards but they are not available while Koreader is running. I will see what happens when it is setup as a netbook, this evening, VA appointment today (can't miss one of those).

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #1199
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I think the Android build is not yet properly integrated with the has keyboard / has no keyboard differentiation. It also has no code for accessing actual key press events yet, I think.

@simonchik: If I were in your place, I'd try to get the latest build running instead of investing time into old versions (I understand testing them, but don't invest to much time in patching/developing starting with those versions). There'll be the occasional bad apple, though. The "quick tap" problem ought to be fixable, generally speaking.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #1200
simonchik
Enthusiast

@hawhill: thank you for your advice! The problem is that -- if I understand correctly (#1047) -- the last versions don't work at all on the kobo touch. And on my device they didn't start anyway. That's why I'm sticking to an old version for now. Of course the quick tap problem should be fixable! I really hope it will be! Would be too bad to miss such a wonderful piece of software because of that...