Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
asqueue
Enthusiast
asqueue began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4
can't switch to azw conversion

The Calibre User Manual says that to use the integrated e-book editor your book must be in the EPUB or AZW3 (Kindle) format. I converted a book successfully from XHTML files to MOBI. Whenever I go to Preferences>Output Format, EPUB Output is highlighted. When I then add the book and convert it, calibre converts again to MOBI. If I instead in Preferences>Output Format select AZW3 Output, calibre just blithely again converts to MOBI. I've tried closing calibre before processing, but that makes no difference. How do I make calibre convert my book to EPUB or AZW3 format?
asqueue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:40 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If it's a book you've already converted, you may need to manually select the epub/azw3 format in the conversion dialog (drop-down box). Those preferences are saved per-book. Only with a brand-new, never-before-converted book will the default Output Preference setting be used.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
asqueue
Enthusiast

When I click on the arrow to the right of Convert books (or right-click on the icon), there are only three choices: Convert individually, Bulk convert, Create a catalog of the books in your calibre library. How do I go about "manually select[ing] the epub/azw3 format in the conversion dialog (drop-down box)"? Sorry if I'm being blind or obtuse.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After you click on "Convert individually," the dialog that opens will have a drop-down box in the top-left corner to select the Input format, and another drop-down box in the top-right corner for selecting the Output format.

Then there's the scads of other settings (some dependent on the Input/Output formats chosen above).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-11-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:57 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by asqueue View Post
When I click on the arrow to the right of Convert books (or right-click on the icon), there are only three choices: Convert individually, Bulk convert, Create a catalog of the books in your calibre library. How do I go about "manually select[ing] the epub/azw3 format in the conversion dialog (drop-down box)"? Sorry if I'm being blind or obtuse.
When you convert (single), a screen comes up. On the RIGHT of that one is the pull down

There is also a Preferred output format setting on Preferences:Behavior
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:21 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@asqueue Also check this Tweak

Quote:
ID: restrict_output_formats

Restrict the list of available output formats in the conversion dialogs.
For example, if you only want to convert to EPUB and AZW3, change this to
restrict_output_formats = ['EPUB', 'AZW3']. The default value of None causes
all available output formats to be present.
If its not 'None' and it doesn't include AZW3 then you wont see AZW3 as an Output Format (top right corner) in the Conversion dialogue.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
asqueue
Enthusiast

Thanks @ducks. Your suggestion allows me to specify output.

Thanks @BetterRed.

Last edited by asqueue; 05-11-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asqueue View Post
Thanks @ducks. Your suggestion allows me to specify output.
In all fairness... mine does too.

Tags
azw conversion, calibre conversion, epub conversion