Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-30-2014, 11:33 AM   #271
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I've done OK. Read more books than I bought, including one off my way back list. Well, technically, I bought more than I read, but that's because I bought a Baen Monthly Bundle. And I likely won't read anywhere near all of the books on this particular bundle unless something changes. So I don't count them. OTOH, I've added more Audible books than I've read, so I'm moving backwards there.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:25 PM   #272
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've finished 10 books this month with a total of 3696 pages. Not bad since I had a bad cold last week when I didn't feel like reading and I've been spending more time playing computer games.

Last year I read 14 books in January and almost 5000 pages. However, I did have a week holiday last year when I read six books instead of the usual 2 I read in a week.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #273
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I have gotten much farther than I expected this month, finishing 12 books and 3,584 pages. Four of those "books" were less than 25 pages, but my average page count is still around 300 pages, so I am not worried about counting short stories as books. It's a nice feeling to have a good head start on my goal this early in the year.

My highlights this month were Earth Abides by George R. Stewart and Microcosmic God by Theodore Sturgeon, both published in the 1940's.

I have purchased 6 books so far this year which is WAY more than I normally buy, I average 10-11/year. Hopefully I will read them all at some point this year, I am working on the second one now. I really need to leave Amazon gift cards in card form rather than applying them to my account when I get them, that tends to stop me from purchasing things on a whim.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #274
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
I expect February will be good too. I'm starting with Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy. I always wanted to read those
Beh. I wanted to read them too, after I finish my current series. Y u no make own plans?

(The upshot is that those are short books; the entire trilogy of five books is only around 670 pages.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #275
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Beh. I wanted to read them too, after I finish my current series. Y u no make own plans?

(The upshot is that those are short books; the entire trilogy of five books is only around 670 pages.)
Short or not, in Canada these are practically cult books to this day. As are Dirk Gently series by the same author.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #276
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
And in Australia. His early death was a sad loss for us all.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #277
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Short or not, in Canada these are practically cult books to this day. As are Dirk Gently series by the same author.
This is my cue to plug Tom Holt's work again, right?

Summary: Writes much like Douglas Adams used to, only more frequently. Usually publishes comedic modern fantasy instead of comedic SF, and often bases it on classic myths and legends.

Most recent releases: Doughnut and its sequel When It's a Jar.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #278
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
16 done so far this month so I'm just chugging along (of course, the dead Christmas tree is still standing in my living room while I do so ).

If anyone is into urban fantasy, check out my book lists here because that's mainly what I've been reading for the past few years and I don't foresee that waning, so it's a good listing source if you're into that genre.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:58 PM   #279
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
And in Australia. His early death was a sad loss for us all.
Yeah. If he'd lived another 30 years we might have got another book out of him.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #280
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

I am, I am! :P

I find that sci-fi books have generally shorter format than fantasy (which I am used to), and I like it
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:10 AM   #281
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
This rather makes a mess of my $40/month budget. Perhaps I can get on track by being very frugal in February & March.
OTOH, I have beenable to read a lot this month. I finished my 24th last night, and should finish my 25th before tomorrow..
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:25 AM   #282
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
This is my cue to plug Tom Holt's work again, right?

Summary: Writes much like Douglas Adams used to, only more frequently. Usually publishes comedic modern fantasy instead of comedic SF, and often bases it on classic myths and legends.

Most recent releases: Doughnut and its sequel When It's a Jar.
Thanks for that: I hadn't heard of him, but I like the sound of his books.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:45 AM   #283
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Thanks for that: I hadn't heard of him, but I like the sound of his books.
Well worth a look Possum. It is donkeys' years since I first read Expecting Someone Taller and Who's Afraid of Beowulf? but I do remember loving them. I have much more recently read his J.W. Wells & Co series which are fun and kicks off with The Portable Door, featuring office politics with a magical twist.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:55 AM   #284
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Well worth a look Possum. It is donkeys' years since I first read Expecting Someone Taller and Who's Afraid of Beowulf? but I do remember loving them. I have much more recently read his J.W. Wells & Co series which are fun and kicks off with The Portable Door, featuring office politics with a magical twist.
I have tried a Tom Holt book long, long ago, and I don't think I liked it. However, I'm willing to give him another shot (eventually). Which of his books should I put on my wish list? That is, which do you think would work best for someone new to his books?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:18 AM   #285
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I really liked the first couple, and just sort of slowly drifted off when it started to seem repetitive. Who's Afraid of Beowulf? was probably my favourite. I felt that Expecting Someone Taller would have benefitted from a bit more knowledge of the Ring Cycle than I possessed.

Snow White and the Seven Samurai seems to be the last one I have.

It's probably been long enough that I should try some of his newer stuff.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote