Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-17-2014, 06:18 AM   #1
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot
Oxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Loads!
Question Best application for creating and editing eBook files?

I like to take a step back once in a while and review my eBooks creation process. Having made literally THOUSANDS of titles, I think I have the process down to a fine art but there's always room for improvement.

Being a bit of a code-head, I'm writing the XHTML directly using Notepad++ with all its lovely regex and fancy plugins. I find I need to do this because I get my source manuscripts from a variety of applications from the client and so very often they're a total tag-soup. It's the only way I can see of making sure that the output code is clean enough to work across all the eBook reading platforms.

My staff and I are able to "see the matrix" and edit XHTML directly with no problems, and that seems to be the way when we're working on eBooks with complex formatting.

But does anyone else use any WYSIWIG editors that, for example allow you to browse and apply CSS styles to the preview text and do all kinds of quick editing tricks without having to always edit the code.
I mean I can save a few seconds here and there by highlighting text and clicking BOLD, or paint paragraphs with a class rather than having to type the tags - yes, all those seconds add up!

I've returned time and again to the likes of DreamWeaver and Sigil - both seem to have their merits.
I like Sigil because it has a good search and replace and the all important REGEX. Dreamweaver's search and replace is PAINFUL.
Neither seem to have a good CSS browser - even in DreamWeaver, I manipulate the CSS directly in the code view when designing web sites.
Sigil doesn't seem to be cut out for DEVELOPING new eBook files, rather it's great for going in and tweaking them.

So... it'll be nice to hear what everyone else is using.

Andy
Oxford-eBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I simply use my own add-in for initial creation and fine-tuning with Sigil.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I think the best environment is a word processor environment with all its bells and whistles and capabilities. Then either publish as epub (as AWD) or use Toxaris' add in for Word.

This assumes that styles are used and the word processor is used as such and not as a typewriter.

I think this may be less so if the document is very heavily formatted. If that is so, it may be easier (relatively) to work directly with the code. But epubs are a poor way of displaying textbooks and other similar heavily formatted documents.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Within the limitations of the tool (no tables) I use Atlantis (AWP) and work within the wysiwyg world of word processing fixing things using styles and then create/recreate the epub file. For minor CSS changes Atlantis also provides a free tool to edit the individual files inside an ePub. I reviewed it in our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If you are copying images using the clipboard, it is very nice to just be able to copy and paste instead of having to save and add and place.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
I used to use TacoEdit on Mac for it's simultaneous code/preview, but I've pretty muched switched to vim->Sigil now.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote