Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #16
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Read 24,000 Pages in 2014

I am going to increase my yearly page goal to 24,000 pages and will continue a couple of my ongoing sub-goals as well.
1) Page Goal: Read 24,000 pages in 2014.
Multi-year Ongoing Goals:
2) Diversity: No more than 1/3 of pages read will be in a single genre.
3) Re-Read: No more than 1/4 of pages read will be re-reads.
4) Indies: At least 1/5 of pages read will be independently published.

Status as of December 31:
Final Page Goal Status: Completed on 11/14/14, ended at 27,557 pages read, 80 books/short stories completed.
Diversity Goal: 31% Fantasy books
Re-Read Goal: 24%
Indie Goal: 21%

Overall Summary Stats: 1, 2, 3
  • Read 36 books from 32 new authors.
  • Read 38 library books.
  • Read 29 books that either won or were shortlisted for a literary award.
  • Read books published in 29 different years (highest from 2013 with 9).
  • Read 6 books published in 2014.
Completed books (in order of date finished):
  1. The School - Donald Barthelme - Short story
  2. My Life - Bill Clinton
  3. Microcosmic God - Theodore Sturgeon - Short story
  4. A Father's Fist - Hugh Howey - Short story
  5. Earth Abides - George R. Stewart - Library book
  6. Bridge to Terabithia - Katherine Paterson - Library book
  7. Sand Omnibus - Hugh Howey
  8. Killing Floor (Jack Reacher 1) - Lee Child - Library book
  9. Fire Watch - Connie Willis - Library book
  10. The Star - Arthur C. Clarke - Short story
  11. Side Jobs (Dresden Files Anthology #1) - Jim Butcher - Library book
  12. Decision Points - George W. Bush
  13. Sandstorm (Sigma Force 1) - James Rollins
  14. Steelheart (Reckoners 1) - Brandon Sanderson
  15. Chimera - Stephen Gallagher
  16. The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles 1) - Kady Cross - Library book
  17. Sourcery (Discworld 5) - Terry Pratchett - Library book
  18. Odd Hours (Odd Thomas 4) - Dean Koontz - Library book
  19. Die Trying (Jack Reacher 2) - Lee Child - Library book
  20. Mitosis (Reckoners 1.5) - Brandon Sanderson
  21. Heaven is a Place on Planet X - Desirina Boskovich - Short story from "The End is Nigh" pre-apocalyptic anthology
  22. Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentlemen Bastards 2) - Scott Lynch - Library book
  23. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy 1) - Stieg Larsson - Library book
  24. Echoes of Honor (Honor Harrington 8) - David Weber
  25. Ashes of Victory (HH9) - David Weber
  26. The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde - MR Library
  27. Holes - Louis Sachar - Library book
  28. The Golem and the Jinni - Helene Wecker - Library book
  29. Just One Damned Thing After Another (Chronicles of St Mary's 1) - Jodi Taylor
  30. Rules of Prey - John Sandford - Library book
  31. Sealed Correspondence - Richard Rudomanski
  32. The End of Marking Time - CJ West
  33. Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue (Bern Saga 1) - Hugh Howey
  34. Snuff (Discworld 39, City Watch 8) - Terry Pratchett
  35. The Martian - Andy Weir - Library Book, "traditionally published" version, only the ending changed noticeably (slightly shorter)
  36. The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo - Tom Reiss
  37. Walker - Michael Langlois
  38. Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos 1) - Dan Simmons - Library book, June 2014 MR Book Club
  39. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum - MR Library, April 2014 MR nomination
  40. Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer 1) - Robin Hobb
  41. They're Made out of Meat - Terry Bisson
  42. The Delta Chain - Iain Edward Henn
  43. Royal Assassin (Farseer 2) - Robin Hobb - Library book
  44. The Cuckoo's Calling - J.K. Rowling as Robert Galbraith - Library book, May 2014 MR Book Club
  45. The Club of Queer Trades - G.K. Chesterton - July 2014 MR Literary Book Club
  46. Ready Player One - Ernest Cline - Library book
  47. Assassin's Quest (Farseer 3) - Robin Hobb - Library book
  48. The Dispossessed - Ursula Le Guin - Aug 2014 MR Book Club
  49. Riders of the Purple Sage - Zane Grey
  50. Arctic Wargame (Justin Hall 1) - Ethan Jones
  51. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - J.K. Rowling - Library book
    • Abandoned: The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck - September 2014 MR Book Club - Just can't take it.
  52. Equoid (Laundry Files 2.9) - Charles Stross
  53. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (HP 2) - J.K. Rowling - Library book
  54. The Black Echo (Harry Bosch 1) - Michael Connelly - Library book
  55. The Black Ice (Harry Bosch 2) - Michael Connelly - Library book
  56. Tom Swift and His Motor-Cycle (Tom Swift 1) - Victor Appleton - MR Library
  57. The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles 2) - Kady Cross - Library book
  58. The Dark Discovery of Jack Dandy (Steampunk Chronicles 2.5) - Kady Cross - Library book
  59. Full Dark House (Bryant and May 1)- Christopher Fowler - Library book
  60. Ender's Game (Ender Wiggin 1) - Orson Scott Card - Library book
  61. Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card - Original short story version
  62. The Man Who Would Be King - Rudyard Kipling - MR October 2014 Selection from the MR Library
  63. The Audacity of Hope - Barack Obama
  64. The Fall of Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos 2) - Dan Simmons - Library book
  65. The Slow Regard of Silent Things (Kingkiller Chronicles 2.5) - Patrick Rothfuss - Library book
  66. Great North Road - Peter F. Hamilton - Library book - Finished yearly page goal and crossed 100,000 pages since 2011.
  67. The Bat (Harry Hole 1) - Jo Nesbø - Library book - November 2014 MR Book Club selection
  68. Last Son of Tomorrow - Greg van Eekhout - Tor.com short story
  69. Tomorrow is Waiting - Holli Mintzer
  70. Mayfly - Heather Lindsley
  71. Good Omens; The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch - Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett - Library book
  72. Zen - Jerome Bixby
  73. Hive - Griffin Hayes
  74. Manna: Two Visions of Humanity's Future - Marshall Brain
  75. All Seated on the Ground - Connie Willis - Christmas themed novella, 2008 Hugo winner
  76. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter 3) - J.K. Rowling - Library book
  77. Wool - Hugh Howey - Audio adaptation of the original short story
  78. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter 4) - J.K. Rowling - Library book
  79. Extremis (John Rain 5) - Barry Eisler - Reading it under the original title "The Last Assassin", Library book
  80. Hogfather (Discworld 20) - Terry Pratchett - Library book

Books in progress at the end of the year:
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (HP 5) - J.K. Rowling - Library book

Other list posts: 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011

Last edited by Dazrin; 12-31-2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Finalized lists and stats.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
6,000 pages in the second half of 2014

Including three Irish books of any kind, three famous English classics, three nominations of someone else's and three of my own that don't win in the second half of 2014 in either MR book club, and Surfing and Health by Dorian Paskowitz, and all should be books I haven't yet read. (more detail here)

Progress- 9345/6000 pages, complete!
3/3 Irish (The Country Girls, Gulliver's Travels, At Swim-Two-Birds), complete!
3/3 English classic (Bleak House, Animal Farm, Tess of the d'Urbervilles), complete!
3/3 club non-winner, others (Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?, The Iron King, To Kill a Mockingbird), complete!
3/3 club non-winner, my own (The Bible Unearthed, The Country Girls, The Giver), complete!
1/1 Surfing and Health, complete!
All goals complete

Beginning with the most recent,

December
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, narrated by Sissy Spacek, 737 minutes, ~322 pages, ✭✭✭✭✫
  • At Swim-Two-Birds by Flann O'Brien, 258 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫
  • Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy, 453 pages, ✭✭✭✭✭
  • The Iron King by Maurice Druon, narrated by Peter Joyce, 665 minutes, ~323 pages, ✭✭✭✭✫
  • The Cricket on the Hearth by Charles Dickens, 106 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫
  • Noli Me Tangere by Jose Rizal, translated by Harold Augenbraum, 479 pages, ✭✭✭✭✫
  • Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift, narrated by David Hyde Pierce, 592 minutes, ~309 pages, ✭✭✭✭✫
  • Animal Farm by George Orwell, narrated by Ralph Cosham, 193 minutes, ~127 pages, ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Bleak House by Charles Dickens, narrated by Sean Barrett and Teresa Gallagher, 2118 minutes, ~922 pages, ✭✭✭✭✭

November
  • Ghost Story by Peter Straub, 500 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫

October
  • The Man Who Would Be King by Rudyard Kipling, 51 pages, ✭✭✫✫✫
  • The Giver by Lois Lowry, narrated by Ron Rifkin, 291 minutes, ~203 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫
  • O Pioneers! by Willa Cather, 168 pages, ✭✭✭✭✭
  • The Bible Unearthed by Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman, 392 pages, ✭✭✭✭✫
  • What Maisie Knew by Henry James, narrated by Maureen O'Brien, 602 minutes, ~291 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫
  • Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, narrated by Kirby Heyborne and Julia Whelan, 1151 minutes, ~452 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫

September
  • Empress Dowager Cixi by Jung Chang, narrated by Pik-Sen Lim, 1144 minutes, ~430 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫
  • The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck, 494 pages, ✭✭✭✭✫
  • The Country Girls by Edna O'Brien, narrated by the author, 438 minutes, ~187 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫
  • Between the Woods and the Water by Patrick Leigh Fermor, 273 pages, ✭✭✭✭✭
  • The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, narrated by Kate Rudd, 434 minutes, ~317 pages, ✭✭✭✭✫

August
  • On the Trail of Genghis Khan by Tim Cope, narrated by Philip Rose, 1119 minutes, ~519 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫
  • The White Castle by Orhan Pamuk, translated by Victoria Holbrook, 160 pages, ✭✭✭✭✭
  • The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin, 351 pages, ✭✭✭✭✫

July
  • Surfing and Health by Dorian Paskowitz, 297 pages, ✭✭✭✭✭
  • The Willpower Instinct by Kelly McGonigal, narrated by Walter Dixon, 500 minutes, ~304 pages, ✭✭✭✭✫
  • The Club of Queer Trades by G.K. Chesterton, 113 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫
  • Burger's Daughter by Nadine Gordimer, 369 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫
  • The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, narrated by Adrian Cronauer, 346 minutes, ~166 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫
  • Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been? by Joyce Carol Oates, 9 pages, ✭✭✭✭✫
-

Goal: 4,000 pages in the first half of 2014
Including Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco and a 2014 MR book club (either one) nomination, originally nominated by someone other than me, that made it to the vote but didn't win

Progress- 9212/4000 pages, 1/1 Foucault's Pendulum, 1/1 club non-winner (The Bridge of San Luis Rey), complete!

Beginning with the most recent,

June
  • Morality for Beautiful Girls by Alexander McCall Smith, narrated by Lisette Lecat, 475 minutes, ~246 pages, ✭✭✭✭✫
  • Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain, 658 pages, ✭✭✭✭✫
  • Hyperion by Dan Simmons, 483 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫
  • Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris, narrated by Johanna Parker, 611 minutes, ~316 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫
  • Under Western Eyes by Joseph Conrad, 320 pages, ✭✭✭✭✫
  • Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris, narrated by Johanna Parker, 569 minutes, ~301 pages, ✭✭✫✫✫
May
  • Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith, narrated by Lisette Lecat, 379 minutes, ~222 pages, ✭✭✭✭✫
  • The Bridge of San Luis Rey by Thornton Wilder, 143 pages, ✭✭✭✭✭
  • The Cuckoo's Calling by J.K. Rowling, 476 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫
April
  • Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer, 298 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫
  • Akhenaten, Dweller in Truth by Naguib Mahfouz, translated by Tagreid Abu-Hassabo, 177 pages, ✭✭✫✫✫
  • Dead Reckoning by Charlaine Harris, narrated by Johanna Parker, 623 minutes, ~319 pages, ✭✭✫✫✫
  • Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov, 342 pages, ✭✭✭✭✫
  • Divergent by Veronica Roth, narrated by Emma Galvin, 671 minutes, ~456 pages, ✭✭✫✫✫
March
  • A Time of Gifts by Patrick Leigh Fermor, 311 pages, ✭✭✭✭✭
  • A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin, 1158 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫
February
  • The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allan Poe, 45 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫
  • Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, 821 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫
  • Fools Crow by James Welch, 421 pages, ✭✭✭✫✫
  • A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin, 826 pages, ✭✭✫✫✫
January
  • Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, translated by William Weaver, 626 pages, ✭✭✫✫✫
  • All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque, translated by A.W. Wheen, 247 pages, ✭✭✭✭✫

Key:
✭✫✫✫✫ - Disliked
✭✭✫✫✫ - So-so
✭✭✭✫✫ - Good
✭✭✭✭✫ - Excellent
✭✭✭✭✭ - Favourite

Prior years 2013 2012 2011

Last edited by sun surfer; 01-04-2015 at 05:22 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #18
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
To spend no more than $40/month on ebooks

My challenge for 2014 is to spend, on average, no more than $40 on ebooks per month. That's a total of $480 for the year.

In 2010 I read ebooks costing a total of $512.48 and spent $231.90 on ebooks
In 2011 I read ebooks costing a total of $544.33 and spent $517.37 on ebooks
In 2012 I read ebooks costing a total of $504.27 and spent $311.60 on ebooks.
In 2013 I read ebooks costing a total of $546.20 and spent $702.54 on ebooks.

I hope that by restricting my spending I might bring my TBR pile under control, as it grew by over 70 ebooks in 2013.

In addition to the spending goal, I have a couple of subsidiary goals:
  • To read all my unread bought books from 2003 and 2004 (that's not a typo)
  • To read all the books I buy in 2014, unless doing so would mean reading a series out of order, or would mean reading a series too fast.
At the start of 2014, my TBR pile (as listed in my calibre database) was 800 books

Books read in 2014
  1. January 1st: What Ho!, Automaton! by Chris Dolley - $1.49 - 4/5 - 143pp
    An enjoyable romp with steampunk versions of Jeeves and Wooster.
  2. January 1st: Grantville Gazette #51 edited by Paula Goodlett - $4.50 - 3/5 - 164pp
    Some fun stories but nothing that raised it above average.
  3. January 2nd: F&SF, Jan/Feb 2014 edited by Gordon van Gelder - $3.00 - 3/5 - 246pp
    Some I really liked, some I didn't like. Overall, average.
  4. January 3nd: Analog SFF, Mar 2014 edited by Trevor Quachri - $3.00 - 3/5 - 179pp
    Again, some I liked, and some I didn't like so much. Average.
  5. January 4th: Life After Life by Kate Atkinson - $1.49 - 2/5 - 435pp
    Interesting, and well-written, but an unsatisfactory ending spoiled it for me.
  6. January 6th: Escape to Other Worlds with Science Fiction by Jo Walton - $0.56 - 2/5 - 20pp
    A few glimpses into her "Farthing" world, rather than a story.
  7. January 6th: Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett - $1.49 - 4/5 - 333pp
    An average discworld novel, and so above the general average.
  8. January 7th: The Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic Graphic Novel by Terry Pratchett - Gift - 4/5 - 150pp
    An enjoyable conversion to graphic novel form
  9. January 8th: Asimov's SF, Feb 2014 edited by Sheila Williams - $3.00 - 4/5 - 160pp
    A good issue with some excellent stories.
  10. January 10th: Terra by Mitch Benn - Gift- 3/5 - 255pp
    OK, but felt allegorical to me, and too easy a resolution.
  11. January 10th: The Forever Engine by Frank Chadwick - $4.50 - 5/5 - 340pp
    A splendid time-travel/steam-punk story, mainly set in a steam-punk 1888.
  12. January 11th: The Incompleat Nifft by Michael Shea - $2.50 - 2/5 - 568pp
    [ABANDONED: I think I've read it before, and just not to my taste.]
  13. January 11th: Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz - $1.49 - 2/5 - 132pp
    A little too much YA, for which read impossible with silly villains
  14. January 12th: The Shadow of the Lion by Mecedes Lackey, Eric Flint and Dave Freer - $3.00 - 5/5 - 841pp
    That was an enjoyable romp. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
  15. January 15th: Tea with the Black Dragon by R. A. MacAvoy - $6.98 - 4/5 - 333pp
    An enjoyable mystery/adventure, with excellent main characters.
  16. January 16th: To Sail a Darkliing Sea by John Ringo - $4.50 - 4/5 - 339pp
    Good continuation of Ringo's "Zombie Apocalypse" series.
  17. January 18th: This Rough Magic by Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint & Dave Freer - $2.50 - 4/5 - 834pp
    An excellent continuation of the series starting with The Shadow of the Lion.
  18. January 20th: The History of the English Speaking Peoples, Vol.1 by Sir Winston S Churchill - $1.49 - 4/5 - 416pp
    An interesting overview of the history of the British Isles from 55BCE to 1485CE
  19. January 21st: Nothing edited by Jeremy Webb - Gift - 3/5 - 266pp
    An enjoyable collection of science essays
  20. January 24th: A Hunger in the Soul by Mike Resnick - $3.51 - 3/5 - 165pp
    A good but slightly disturbing story of a man with an obsession
  21. January 24th: The Harper's Quine by Pam McIntosh - $1.26 - 4/5 - 236pp
    A good historical murder mystery, set in 15th century Glasgow
  22. January 25th: Blood Relations by A. L. Sirois - $4.25 - 2/5 - 185pp
    Too much going on, too many 'impossible' things, in need of editing.
  23. January 28th: The Eagle and the Nightingale by Mercedes Lackey - $4.50 - 4/5 - 273pp
    Enjoyable, but a rather simplistic resolution.
  24. January 29th: Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters - $1.26 - 5/5 - 235pp
    A splendid mystery set in Victorian Egypt. I'm looking forward to reading the rest.
  25. January 29th: Fictionwise Anthology by James Patrick Kelley - $14.96 - 4/5 - 470pp
    A good range of his shorter fiction mainly from the 1990s
  26. February 1st: Asimov's SF, March 2014 edited by Sheila Williams - $3.00 - 4/5 - 164pp
    An average issue, which is above the general average.
  27. February 3rd: The Tower of Glass by Robert Silverberg - $1.79 - 2/5 - 163pp
    Unconvincing in every way.
  28. February 3rd: The Unfinished Clue by Georgette Heyer - $1.80 - 5/5 - 210pp
    A delightful country house murder mystery
  29. February 4th: Analog SFF, Apr 2014 edited by Trevor Quachri - $3.00 - 4/5 - 179pp
    A good serial (conclusion this issue), and the rest was good too.
  30. February 7th: Twisting the Rope by R. A. MacAvoy - $5.58 - 5/5 - 459pp
    An excellent follow-up to the "Tea with the Black Dragon" fantasy mystery.
  31. February 8th: Dragon's Eye by Christopher Stasheff - $4.50 - 3/5 - 203pp
    A good but not outstanding collection of Dragon stories.
  32. February 10th: The Rackham Files by Dean Ing - $3.00 - 3/5 - 259pp
    Three different stories about one character. Would have been better re-worked as a cohesive novel.
  33. February 11th: Carousel Sun by Sharon Lee - $4.50 - 4/5 - 305pp
    A good sequel to Carousel Tides, if sometimes a bit arbitrary.
  34. February 12th: Elisabeth Waters Anthology by Elisabeth Waters et al. - $15.81 -4/5 - 377pp
    A good collection of short stories, both Darkover based and general fantasy.
  35. February 14th: Murder in Ancient China by Robert van Gulik - Free - 4/5 - 30pp
    Two excellent short mystery stories. I'll shall add Judge Dee to my wish list.
  36. February 14th: Sequences by Eliezer Yudkowsky - Free - 3/5 - 227pp
    Great ideas, but the version I had was badly organised and formatted.
  37. February 16th: Lord Darcy by Randall Garrett - $3.00 - 5/5 - 539pp
    Excellent Magical Mystery. Well worth a re-read.
  38. February 21st: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - Free - 2/5 - 821pp
    [ABANDONED]Too many historical errors for me to enjoy it.
  39. February 23rd: Analog SFF, May 2014 edited by Trevor Quachri - $3.00 - 3/5 - 186pp
    Not quite up to the usual standard
  40. February 24th: Asimov's SF, March/April 2014 edited by Sheila Williams - $6.00 - 4/5 - 276pp
    A good double issue with a lovely modern-day 'Doc Savage' ish story.
  41. February 26th: Resurgence by Charles Sheffield - $2.50 - 4/5 - 316pp
    Good, but disappointing that it's the last one, with so much left to find out.
  42. March 1st: Grantville Gazette #52 edited by Paula Goodlett - $4.50 - 3/5 - 192pp
    A very bitty story with a massive cast from Virginia DeMarco brought the issue down to average for me.
  43. March 3rd: Changespell by Doranna Durgin - $2.24 - **** - 247pp
    An enjoyable light fantasy
  44. March 4th: Hour of the Gremlins by Gordon R. Dickinson and Ben Bova - $2.14 - 2/5 - 544pp
    Three unrelated short novels. A bit too human supremicist for me.
  45. March 6th: Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson - $0.00 - 5/5 - 281pp
    A wonderful new series in the Mistborn Universe
  46. March 7th: F&SF, Mar/Apr 2014 edited by Gordon van Gelder - $3.00 - 4/5 - 252pp
    An above-average issue
  47. March 9th: Night & Demons by David Drake - $3.60 - 4/5 - 482pp
    Expanded version of his excellent Balefires collection.
  48. March 11th: Lazerwarz by Mark Shepherd - $2.14 - 3/5 - 210pp
    OK, but nothing special.
  49. March 12th: International Kittens of Mystery by Chris Dolley - $0.30 - 1/5 - 48pp
    A cute idea, but it doesn't work for me.
  50. March 12th: Medium Dead by Chris Dolley - $1.99 - 2/5 - 280pp
    Fun, but the underlying premise doesn't work for me - too many things to accept.
  51. March 13th: Old Scores by Aaron Elkins - $1.36 - 4/5 - 204pp
    A most enjoyable murder/art mystery
  52. March 14th: Lightspeed Magazine, March 2014 - $0.70 - 4/5 - 260pp
    A particularly good novella by Jo Walton, but not the only bright spot.
  53. March 14th: Like a Mighty Army by David Weber - $1.97 - 3/5 - 752pp
    The Names! But despite those, I enjoyed it a lot.
  54. March 17th: Waldo and Magic, Inc. by Robert A. Heinlein - $4.50 - 4/5 - 180pppp
    Well worth the re-read.
  55. March 19th: Harry Potter and the Sun Source by Clell65619 - Free - 4/5 - 256pp
    A fun bit of HP fan fic
  56. March 20th: Cauldron of Ghosts by David Weber and Eric Flint - $4.50 - 4/5 - 605pp
    A very enjoyable Honorverse. Not too many infodumps.
  57. March 23rd: Climbing Olympus by Kevin J. Anderson - $1.96 - 3/5 - 301pp
    An OK tale of early terrforming/colonisation of Mars
  58. March 25th: I, Strahd: The Memoirs of a Vampire by P N Elrod - $0.74 - 3/5 - 191ppp
    An unsatisfying Vampire tale overall, although good in bits. Perhaps the sequel will compete things
  59. March 26th: Pittsburgh Backyard and Garden by Wen Spencer - Free - 5/5 - 63pp
    An excellent short story in the ElfHome series
  60. March 26th: Balance Point by Robert Buettner - $4.50 - 4/5 - 298pp
    Very good conclusion to the trilogy.
  61. March 27th Death in the Stocks by Georgette Heyer - $1.80 - 4/5 - 208pp
    An enjoyable murder mystery, although for character rather than the mystery.
  62. March 28th: Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone - $0.35 - 5/5 - 291pp
    An excellent Fantasy Murder Mystery. Very satisfying.
  63. March 30th: Asimov's SF, June 2014 edited by Sheila Williams - $3.00 3/5 - 173pp
    Below average (for Asimov's) edition for me. One steampunk I really didn't get on with.
  64. April 1st: Analog SFF, June 2014 edition by Trevor Quachri - $3.00 - 4/5 - 185pp
    A good issue.
  65. April 3rd: No Going Back by Mark L Van Name - $2.79 - 5/5 - 296pp
    An excellent continuation of the Jon and Lobo series.
  66. April 4th: Reboots by Mercedes Lackey - $0.99 - 4/5 - 120pp
    An enjoyable supernaturals in space romp.
  67. April 6th: Much Fall of Blood by Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint and Dave Freer - $6.00 - 5/5 - 587pp
    An excellent continuation of the story.
  68. April 9th: Reboots — Diabolical Streak by Mercedes Lackey & Cody Martin - $1.00 - 3/5 - 116pp
    Still fun, but seems to be lacking enough thought.
  69. April 10th: Lightspeed Magazine, April 2014 - $0.70 - 4/5 - 252pp
    A good issue. I'm pleased I have the subscription.
  70. April 12th: Hard Magic by Larry Correia - $3.53 - 5/5 - 383pp
    An excellent start for a new series. Alternate history with magic.
  71. April 13th: The Toymaker by Raymond F Jones - $2.75 - 3/5 - 157pp
    Holds up remarkably well for 60-year-old SF
  72. April 14th: The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snickett - $1.49 - 3/5 - 84pp
    OK, but more 'just' a children's book than I'd hoped.
  73. April 14th: Half a Crown by Jo Walton - $0.93 - 4/5 - 258pp
    Excellent alternate history.
  74. April 15th: The Reptile Room by Lemony Snickett - Free - 3/5 - 101pp
    Much like the first.
  75. April 16th: Burdens of the Dead by Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint and Dave Freer - $2.57 - 5/5 - 410pp
    Excellent. I'm looking forward to the next instalment, whenever it arrives.
  76. April 17th: Regency Buck by Georgette Heyer - $1.80 - 4/5 - 336pp
    A delightful regency romance.
  77. April 18th: The Sea Without a Shore by David Drake - $2.81 - 5/5 - 351pp
    An excellent adventure, as usual.
  78. April 19th: The Complete Lythande by Marion Zimmer Bradley - $3.49 - 4/5 - 283pp
    An entertaining set of stories
  79. April 21st: Grand Central Arena by Ryk Spoor - $2.87 - 5/5 - 504pp
    Excellent SF with the vision of grand space opera.
  80. April 23rd: For Richer, For Poorer: A Love Affair with Poker - $1.49 - 5/5 - 290pp
    An absolutely splendid autobiography about poker playing
  81. April 25th: A Liaden Universe® Constellation: Volume Two by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller - $4.50 - 5/5 - 387pp
    Excellent as usual, filling in minor characters' stories around the main events.
  82. April 26th: Mrs McGinty's Dead by Agatha Christie - $0.95 - 5/5 - 210pp
    Intriguing Hercule Poirot mystery.
  83. April 27th: Cobra Guardian by Timothy Zahn - $0.78 - 3/5 - 270pp
    A good continuation of the story
  84. April 29th: Cobra Gamble by Timothy Zahn - $2.00 - 3/5 - 275pp
    Another good continuation, leading to a reasonable pause before the next series
  85. April 30th: F&SF, May/Jun 2014 edited by Gordon van Gelder - $3.00 - 4/5 - 247pp
    Two excellent 'continuing' stories save the issue.
  86. April 30th: The Limpopo Academy Of Private Detection by Alexander McCall Smith - $3.38 - 5/5 - 202pp
    Wonderful, as usual.
  87. May 1st: Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams - $0.74 - 3/5 - 227pp
    OK, with some splendid ideas, but not as good as I'd hoped.
  88. May 3rd: The Warlock In Spite of Himself by Christopher Stasheff - Free - 3/5 - 281pp
    Enjoyable, but showing its age a little.
  89. May 4th: Grantville Gazette #53 edited by Paula Goodlett - $4.50 - 4/5 - 201pp
    Some good continuing stories, only one I wasn't fond of, overall very good.
  90. May 5th: Renaissance by Raymond F. Jones - $2.75 - 3/5 - 223pp
    Interesting, not too dated, but the plot wasn't brilliant
  91. May 6th: Lightspeed Magazine, May 2014 - $0.70 - 4/5 - 271pp
    A very good collection of stories. Most enjoyable.
  92. May 8th: An Unsafe Pair of Hands by Chris Dolley - $1.99 - 5/5 - 318pp
    An excellent Police/Murder/Mystery story.
  93. May 9th: Spheres of Influence by Ryk Spoor - $4.50 - 5/5 - 445pp
    Excellent second volume in the new Grand Central Arena series.
  94. May 10th: The Good, The Bad and the Undead by Kim Harrison - $2.99 - 3/5 - 371pp
    I'm finding it hard to suspend disbelief. Too many things don't ring true.
  95. May 13th: The Grail Tree by Jonathan Gash - $1.49 - 3/5 - 195pp
    OK, but the 1970s attitudes grate a bit.
  96. May 14th: Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson - $4.86 - 5/5 - 314pp
    Excellent, a very enjoyable read with interesting ideas and characters.
  97. May 15th: Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb - $1.49 - 4/5 - 399pp
    A good start to a coming-of-age tale in a magic/psychical fantasy.
  98. May 16th: The Mammoth Book of Time Travel Stories edited by Mike Ashley - $1.49 - 3/5 - 481pp
    A wide variety of time travel stories, as advertised.
  99. May 19th: 1636: Commander Cantrell in the West Indies by Eric Flint and Charles Gannon - $2.81 - 4/5 - 614pp
    Good, but not quite as good as some of the Grantville novels
  100. May 22nd: Analog SFF, July-August 2014 edited by Trevor Quachri - $6.00 - 4/5 - 308pp
    A solid collection of stories.
  101. May 25th: Asimov's SF, July 2014, edited by Sheila Williams - $3.00 - 4/5 - 168pp
    Also a good issue.
  102. May 26th: The Sea of Time by P C Hodgell - $2.52 - 4/5 - 336pp
    Good, but an oddly short ending chapter.
  103. May 28th: A Dangereous Talent by Aaron and Charlotte Elkins - $1.49 - 4/5 - 280pp
    An enjoyable art-based murder mystery
  104. May 29th: Back to the Moon by Travis S. Taylor and Les Johnson - $1.97 - 3/5 - 280pp
    Near-future SF/race to the moon.
  105. May 30th: Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb - $1.49 - 5/5 - 619pp
    An excellent continuation of the story.
  106. June 2nd: LightSpeed #49 edited by Christie Yant - $1.66 - 4/5 - 544pp
    Women Destroy SF! issue
  107. June 6th: Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobb - $1.49 - 5/5 - 771pp
    An excellent conclusion to the trilogy
  108. June 10th: The Mammoth Book of Mind-Blowing SF by Mike Ashley - $1.49 - 4/5 - 491pp
    An excellent collection of 'sense of wonder' SF stories.
  109. June 12th: Asimov's SF, August 2014 edited by Sheila Williams - $3.00 - 5/5 - 167pp
    An excellent set of stories I can't fault this issue.
  110. June 13th: Heart's Fire by Sarah A Hoyt - Free - 4/5 - 17pp
    A delightful little fantasy romance.
  111. June 13th: Ralph 124C 41+ by Hugo Gernsback - $2.89 - 2/5 - 309pp
    Very dated and clunky, but fascinating.
  112. June 15th: Analog SFF, September 2014 edited by Trevor Quachri - $3.00 - 3/5 - 185pp
    An OK issue. One story was in a tense I really hate. "You are..." etc.
  113. June 17th: The Long War Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter - $1.02 - 4/5 - 392pp
    Good, but it seems almost a prelude to the next book.
  114. June 20th: Ghosts of Time by Steve White - $2.52 - 3/5 - 260pp
    Enjoyable, but I'm not involved with the characters.
  115. June 20th: The Nicholas Feast by Pat McIntosh - $1.26 - 4/5 - 238pp
    A nice mystery, spoiled a little by some unecessary psychic/supernatural stuff.
  116. June 23rd: Crown of Renewal by Elizabeth Moon - $3.00 - 4/5 - 478pp
    A pretty satisfying conclusion to the series.
  117. June 26th: Knight Moves by Walter Jon Williams - $0.74 - 3/5 - 247pp
    OK, but not outstanding. 800-year old man viewpoint is hard
  118. June 27th: Monster Hunter Nemesis by Larry Correira - $2.81 - 4/5 - 337pp
    A good continuation of the Monster Hunter series
  119. June 28th: A Rare Benedictine by Ellis Peters - Free - 5/5 - 128pp
    Three delightful short stories of Cadfael before we first met him.
  120. June 29th: Ninety Percent of Everything by James Patrick Kelly, John Kessel & Jonathan Lethem - $1.76 - 3/5 - 62pp
    A pleasant little novella. Sturgeon's Law, of course. :)
  121. June 30th: The Fish Merchant by Tobias S. Buckell - Free - 4/5 - 16pp
    A very good short story
  122. June 30th: The Spartacus File by Lawrence Watt-Evans - $5.81 - 4/5 - 351pp
    A very good SF/Dystopia/Revolution novel indeed.
  123. June 30th: Every Which Way But Dead by Kim Harrison - $1.49 - 3/5 - 439pp
    OK, but I'm not interested enough to continue the series.
  124. July 3rd: GrantVille Gazette #54, edited by Paula Goodlett - $4.50 - 3/5 - 195pp
    One story was much too bitty, making it very hard to follow.
  125. July 4th: F&SF, Jul/Aug 2014 guest edited by C. C. Finlay - $3.00 - 3/5 - 251pp
    Good SF/Fantasy mix but a bit sad/dark for me
  126. July 6th: Lightspeed Magazine, July 2014, edited by John Joseph Adams - $0.54 - 4/5 - 257pp
    A good mix. I'm pleased with my subscription.
  127. July 7th: Rescue Mode by Ben Bova and Les Johnson - $2.81 - 3/5 - 391pp
    A fun journey to Mars adventure.
  128. July 8th: The Light of Other Days by Arthur C Clarke and Stephen Baxter - $1.47 - 4/5 - 309pp
    An excellent near-future/deep time novel.
  129. July 9th: The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer - $1.80 - 4/5 - 222pp
    A delightful Regency romance.
  130. July 10th: Time by Stephen Baxter - $1.47 - 4/5 - 406pp
    A good SF story of cosmic scope.
  131. July 15th: The Do It With Mirrors by Agatha Christie - $0.95 - 3/5 - 169pp
    An enjoyable, but obvious, Miss Marple mystery
  132. July 16th: Barrenlands by Doranna Durgin - Free - 3/5 - 694 pp
    A quick fantasy - I'm sure that page count is inflated by bad coding.
  133. July 18th: Islands of Rage and Hope by John Ringo - $2.81 - 5/5 - 362pp
    Excellent.
  134. July 19th: Curse of the Pharaohs by Elizabeth Peters - $1.26 - 4/5 - 289pp
    A good follow-up, looking forward to the rest.
  135. July 21st: Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross - $2.99 - 5/5 - 306pp
    An excellent addition to the Saturn's Children universe
  136. July 22nd: Don't Panic by Neil Gailman- Loan - 5/5 - 242pp
    Unmissable info about the creation of H2G2. Very good indeed.
  137. July 23rd: Asimov's SF, September 2014 edited by Sheila Williams - $3.00 - 3/5 - 176pp
    I found one of the longer stories unreadable, but brought up to average by excellent shorter works.
  138. July 23rd: Harvest Moon by Mercedes Lackey et al. - $3.18 - 5/5 - 240pp
    Three excellent Novellas. Very enjoyable fantasies.
  139. July 24th: The Reluctant Swordsman by Dave Duncan - $0.25 - 4/5 - 293pp
    An enjoyable gods and swords fantasy
  140. July 25th: Analog SFF, October 2014 edited by Trevor Quachri - $3.00 - 4/5 - 187pp
    An enjoyable issue
  141. July 26th: All The Way to the Gallows by David Drake - $1.97 - 3/5 - 231pp
    OK, but humour isn't his forte IMO
  142. July 26th: Waking in Dreamland by Jody Lynn Nye - $1.97 - 3/5 - 368pp
    OK, but the sequel, School of Light, was better.
  143. July 27th: Extremis by Steve White and Charles E Gannon - $1.97 - 4/5 - 601pp
    Very good space opera.
  144. July 29th: Selected Stories, Vol. 1 by Ursula K. LeGuin - $1.01 - 2/5 - 269pp
    Not to my taste - mostly literary shorts.
  145. July 30th: Future Perfect by Nancy Kress - $0.60 - 4/5 - 205pp
    A very good set of nearish-future SF about gene modifications
  146. August 1st: Space by Stephen Baxter - $1.47 - 3/5 - 482pp
    Fantastic vision, but I didn't care about anyone.
  147. August 5th:Beyond the Doors of Death by Robert Silverberg and Damien Broderick - Free - 2/5 - 199pp
    A bit disappointing. A mismatch between the original and the sequel
  148. August 6th: The Dragon Lord by David Drake - $1.97 - 3/5 - 203pp
    A good read, but nothing special. Two adventurers in Arthurian Britain.
  149. July & August: Peanuts, 1973-1974 by Charles M Schultz - Gift - 5/5 - 323pp
    Timeless. Most enjoyable.
  150. August 7th: What Makes This Book So Great by Jo Walton - $1.41 - 4/5 - 450pp
    A very interesting and enjoyable collection of essays.
  151. August 11th: The Man Who Counted - loan - 4/5 - 244pp
    Delightful setting for mathematical problems, although the last wasn't perfect
  152. August 11th: Lightspeed Magazine, August 2014, edited by John Joseph Adams - $0.54 - 4/5 - 257pp
    A very good issue.
  153. August 12th: The Bloodline Feud by Charles Stross - $0.90 - 4/5 - 530pp
    Excellent "travel to alternate Earth" adventure.
  154. August 15th: After the Funeral by Agatha Christie - $0.95 - 4/5 - 234pp
    Excellent Mystery. The clues were there!
  155. August 16th: The Traders' War by Charles Stross - $0.90 - 4/5 - 595pp
    Lots of action in parallel world SF story, but ends on a cliffhanger
  156. August 18th: Dinosaurs and a Dirigible by David Drake - $3.60 - 3/5 - 225pp
    An enjoyable set of time travel stories
  157. August 19th: The Revolution Trade by Charles Stross - $0.90 - 4/5 - 545pp
    A reasonable stopping place in an interesting multiple worlds story.
  158. August 21st: Cleopatra 7.2 by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough - $0.36 - 2/5 - 279pp
    I prefer not to have six different impossible things in my stories.
  159. August 22nd: Legions of Space by Keith Laumer - $2.50 - 3/5 - 337pp
    OK, but not his best stuff
  160. August 24th: Medics Wild by Darrell Bain - Free - 2/5 - 194pp
    An odd mix of humour and tragedy
  161. August 27th: Into the Hinterlands by David Drake and John Lambshead - $1.97 - 3/5 - 356pp
    An OK space opera/Mil SF, but not as good as I'd hoped.
  162. August 29th: Touched by the Gods by Lawrence Watt-Evans - $2.90 - 4/5 - 492pp
    A most enjoyable "chosen one" fantasy
  163. August 31st: Analog SFF, Nov 2014 edited by Trevor Quachri - $3.00 - 4/5 - 191pp
    Another good issue.
  164. September 2nd: Citadel by John Ringo - $1.97 - 4/5 - 360pp
    A most enjoyable space opera/fighting off the aliens adventure.
  165. September 5th: Asimov's SF, October/November 2014 edited by Sheila Williams - $6.00 - 3/5 - 288pp
    A good collection of stories. I enjoyed most of them.
  166. September 5th: Grantville Gazette #55 edited by Paula Goodlett - $4.50 - 3/5 - 178pp
    An OK issue, but the Virginia DeMarce piece was too bitty.
  167. September 7th: F&SF, Sep/Oct 2014 edited by Gordon van Gelder - $3.00 - 3/5 - 241pp
    Another OK issue. Liked some, didn't hate any.
  168. September 9th: The Hot Gate by John Ringo - $1.97 - 5/5 - 362pp
    A satisfying continuation of the Troy Rising series.
  169. September 10th: Lightspeed Magazine, September 2014, edited by John Joseph Adams - $0.54 - 3/5 - 287pp
    I liked the shorter stories but not the big Novella, which dragged the rating down.
  170. September 12th: First Action by G. Harry Stine - $3.06 - 1/5 - 485pp
    Abandoned. there might be a good story in there, but it's obscured by dreadful rubbish.
  171. September 15th: The Savior by Tony Daniels and David Drake - $3.60 - 4/5 - 397pp
    An excellent conclusion.
  172. September 17th: Wood Sprites by Wen Spencer - $3.60 - 5/5 - 417pp
    An excellent tale. Looking forward to the next installment.
  173. September 19th: The Martian by Andy Weir - $3.00 - 5/5 - 384pp
    An excellent near/nearby future space travel adventure
  174. September 20th: The Dracula Tape by Fred Saberhagen - $1.13 - 4/5 - 186pp
    A most enjoyable take on Bram Stoker's Dracula
  175. September 22nd: The Holmes-Dracula File by Fred Saberhagen - $2.25 - 4/5 - 188pp
    It doesn't disappoint. Great fun.
  176. September 23rd: My Real Children by Jo Walton - $2.52 - 5/5 - 258pp
    An excellent and moving story.
  177. September 24th: The Cybernetic Brains by Raymond F. Jones - $3.40 - 2/5 - 128pp
    Outdated, simplistic, pessimistic, overtly political dystopian utopia.
  178. September 25th: Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb - $1.49 - 5/5 - 552pp
    Great. Nice start to the trilogy, but with its own story.
  179. September 28th: A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters - $0.89 - 4/5 - 212pp
    A well-told murder mystery.
  180. September 30th: The Golden Fool by Robin Hobb - $1.49 - 4/5 - 580pp
    Very good, but more part two of three than second novel in a trilogy
  181. October 2nd: Fantasy Magazine: Women Destroy Fantasy edited by Cat Rambo - $1.66 - 4/5 - 268pp
    A very good issue of new and reprint fantasy stories.
  182. October 5th: Lightspeed Magazine #53 edited by John Joseph Adams - $0.54 - 3/5 - 291pp
    A good set of stories.
  183. October 6th: A Call to Duty by David Weber and Timothy Zahn - $2.81 - 4/5 - 362pp
    A good start to a new series, but complete in itself.
  184. October 7th: The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson - $0.75 - 4/5 - 286pp
    An enjoyable YA with an interesting magic system
  185. October 9th: The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross - $2.99 - 4/5 - 309pp
    An enjoyable thriller in an occult secret service.
  186. October 10th: Asimov's SF, December 2014 edited by Sheila Williams - $3.00 - 3/5 - 156pp
    OK, but nothing that really struck me.
  187. October 12th: Analog SFF, December 2014 edited by Trevor Quachri - $3.00 - 4/5 - 185pp
    A good issue.
  188. October 14th: The Fire Rose by Mercedes Lackey - $1.97 - 3/5 - 313pp
    An entertaining fantasy romance.
  189. October 15th: One Corpse Too Many by Ellis Peters - $1.49 - 4/5 - 243pp
    A splendid second novel in her Cadfael series.
  190. October 15th: Turncoat by Aaron Elkins - $1.36 - 3/5 - 185pp
    An interesting stand-alone post-WWII mystery/thriller story
  191. October 17th: Fool's Fate by Robin Hobb - $1.49 - 4/5 - 739pp
    An excellent conclusion.
  192. October 19th: Origin by Stephen Baxter - $1.47 - 2/5 - 398pp
    Fascinating ideas, but not engaging
  193. October 24th: The Mummy Case by Elizabeth Peters - $1.26 - 3/5 - 260pp
    An enjoyable caper, although I find the transcription of the child's speech irritating.
  194. October 26th: Psychlone by Greg Bear - $1.49 - 2/5 - 510pp
    [ABANDONED - set up too horror-movie-ish for me. Just not interested.]
  195. October 27th: The Forlorn by Dave Freer - $4.00 - 3/5 - 266pp
    An enjoyable coming-of-age/action/SF adventure. Andre Norton-y
  196. October 28th: Nightmare Magazine: Women Destroy Horror edited by Ellen Datlow - $1.66 - 3/5 - 256pp
    Not really my thing, but some interesting stories.
  197. October 30th: Hexes and Haunts by Nancy Fulda - $1.1.2 - 4/5 - 44pp
    A most enjoyable collection of five spooky tales.
  198. October 30th: Two Serpents Rise by Max Gladstone - $2.97 - 5/5 - 316pp
    An excellent novel in the world first introduced in Three Parts Dead
  199. October 31st: 1636: The Viennese Waltz by Paula Goodlett and Geog Huff - $2.81 - 5/5 - 361pp
    A splendid look at things from the Austro-Hungarian perspective.
  200. November 2nd: Grantville Gazette #56 edited by Paula Goodlett - $4.50 - 3/5 - 187pp
    All good, except the deMarco story which suffers from bittiness
  201. November 3rd: F&SF November 2014 edited by Gordon van Gelder - $3.00 - 4/5 - 249pp
  202. November 5th: Lightspeed Magazine, November 2014, edited by John Joseph Adams - $0.54 - 4/5 - 262pp
    A really good issue
  203. November 6th: The Man Who Murdered Himself by Nancy Fulda - Free - 4/5 - 16pp
    A very good short story.
  204. November 6th: Moonbase One by Raymond F. Jones - $2.74 - 2/5 - 96pp
    A lightwieght YA about a moon colony. The plot has a poor foundation.
  205. November 7th: A Pocketful of Rye by Agatha Christie - $5.99 - 4/5 - 225pp
    A good Miss Marple mystery
  206. November 9th: Shining Steel by Lawrence Watt-Evans - $4.73 - 3/5 - 186pp
    A story of a 'lost' colony of religious fanatics
  207. November 10th: The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures edited by Mike Ashley - $1.49 - 4/5 - 546pp
    An excellent and well organised collection of new stories
  208. November 13th: Infinity Blade: Awakening by Brandon Sanderson - $0.75 - 3/5 - 102pp
  209. November 14th: Infinity Blade: Redemption by Brandon Sanderson - $0.75 - 3/5 - 134pp
    Pretty good for a game tie-in, but not as good as his own backgrounds.
  210. November 15th: Genus Homo by L. Sprague de Camp - $3.60 - 3/5 - 161pp
    Set in the far future, featuring some 1939 humans.
  211. November 15th: Invasion by Mercedes Lackey - $1.97 - 3/5 - 388pp
    OK, but I'm not sure about bringing in God (although God not being omnibenevolent could work).
  212. November 17th: The Year of the Warrior by Lars Walker - $4.00 - 3/5 - 441pp
    A very readable fantasy rendition of some Norse history of the late 990s.
  213. November 19th: Behold, Here's Poison by Georgette Heyer - $1.80 - 3/5 - 208pp
    An enjoyable murder mystery
  214. November 20th: Renegades of Time by Raymond F. Jones - $2.72 - 2/5 - 135pp
    A bit simplistic and with not much depth.
  215. November 21st: Professor Jameson's Interstellar Adventures #1 by Neil R. Jones - $2.72 - 2/5 - 100pp
    Only interesting as historical SF
  216. November 23rd: Realms of Light by Lawrence Watt-Evans - $3.86 - 4/5 - 184pp
    A very good sequel, and complete in itself.
  217. November 25th: The Last Generation to Die by Carlos Hernandez - $3.57 - 1/5 - 87pp
    Awful. Interesting idea, but really badly done.
  218. November 25th: An Infamous Army by Georgette Heyer - $2.00 - 3/5 - 373pp
    An odd amalgm of a history of the battle of Waterloo and a regency romance
  219. November 29th: The First Misadventure of Fragger Sparks by Steven D. Fisher - $4.06 - 3/5 - 645pp
    An Interesting rip-van-winkle kind of tale
  220. December 1st: Analog SFF, Jan-Feb 2015 edited by Trevor Quachri - $6.00 - 4/5 - 300pp
    A very good issue, with the return of some continuing stories
  221. December 3rd: The Hall of Elders' Crossing by G. Norman Lippert - Free - 3/5 - 446pp
    OK, but not as good as my expectations.
  222. December 4th: Asimov's SF, Jan 2015 edited by Sheila Williams - $3.00 - 4/5 - 170pp
    A very good issue, I liked all the stories.
  223. December 6th: A Wicked Slice by Charlotte and Aaron Elkins - $3.75 - 4/5 - 158pp
    A very readable murder mystery set in the world of pro golf.
  224. December 7th: Lightspeed Magazine, December 2014, edited by John Joseph Adams - $0.54 - 3/5 - 268pp
    An OK issue. The novella seemed to be just a mainstream story, which was odd.
  225. December 11th: Monk's Hood by Ellis Peters - $1.49 - 4/5 - 185pp
    An enjoyable re-read, and an interesting murder mystery.
  226. December 13th: Wingman by Mack Maloney - $0.25 - 1/5 - 317pp
    ABANDONED. Dreadful, improbable, info-dump laden near future (at time of writing).
  227. December 13th: Freehold by William C. Dietz - $0.25 - 2/5 - 218pp
    Poor quality Mil SF with bad romance sub plot
  228. December 15th: The Human Divisions Extras by John Scalzi - Free - 3/5 - 30pp
    OK, but not great, and adds nothing special
  229. December 15th: Whom The Gods Love by Sarah A. Hoyt - Free - 4/5 - 25pp
    Very good post-trans human story
  230. December 15th: The Big Ship and The Wise Old OWl by Sarah A. Hoyt - Free - 4/5 - 29pp
    Excellent generation ship story
  231. December 15th: The Blood Like Wine by Sarah A. Hoyt - Free - 3/5 - 17pp
    OK Vampire story
  232. December 15th: Children of the Wolf by Jane Yolen - $1.53 - 2/5 - 99pp
    A fictionalised account of real events in India in the 1920s.
  233. December 17th: The Time of the Dark by Barbara Hambley - $0.25 - 4/5 - 291pp
    A good start to a parallel magical universe fantasy trilogy.
  234. December 20th: Trial by Fire by Charles E Gannon - $2.52 - 3/5 - 631pp
    OK, but didn't really engage me.
  235. December 26th: Relics of War by Lawrence Watt-Evans - $2.01 - 4/5 - 195pp
    A good tale from 20 years after the war.
  236. December 28th: Strands of Sorrow by John Ringo - $2.81 - 4/5 - 320pp
    Not quite as good as the rest, but still good. A satisfying conclusion.
  237. December 29th: The Aunt Paradox by Chris Dolley - $1.49 - 3/5 - 92pp
    A humorous time-travel adventure.
  238. December 29th: Carousel Seas by Sharon Lee - $3.53 - 4/5 - 313pp
    A most enjoyable continuation of the story
  239. December 31st: The Forever Girl by Alexander McCall Smith - $1.64 - - 272pp
    [Moved to 2015 list]

Gifts
The Colour of Magic/The Light Fantastic Graphic Novel, Terra, Nothing, Peanuts, 1973-1974
Loans
Don't Panic, The Man Who Counted

Books bought in 2014
  • January (50/$84.41): Grantville Gazette #51, F&SF January 2014, Baen February 2014 Bundle (To Sail a Darkling Sea, Carousel Sun, The Eagle and the Nightingale, Dragon’s Eye), Escape to Other Worlds with Science Fiction, Raising Steam, Life After Life, The History of the English-Speaking People, Vol. 1, Analog SFF April 2014, Asimov's SF March 2014, 1st ten "Gil Cunningham" mysteries, Lovejoy 5,6&7, 19 "Amelia Peabody" mysteries, 6 "Vicky Bliss" mysteries.
  • February (2/$9.00): Analog SF May 2014, Asimov's SFF April/May 2014
  • March (92/$89.20): Grantville Gazette #52, F&SF March 2014, Baen April 2014 Bundle (Cauldron of Ghosts, Balance Point, Waldo & Magic, Inc., Between the Sea of Stars) + 48 from Kobo, 36 back-issues of Lightspeed Magazine from Kickstarter (including March 2014), Analog SFF June 2014, Asimov's SF June 2014
  • April (9/$16.66): Lightspeed April 2014, No Going Back, Hard Magic, Reboots, Reboots:Diabolical Streak, The Sea Without a Shore, Grand Central Arena, Into the Hinterlands, For Richer, For Poorer: A Love Affair with Poker
  • May (41/$61.94): Grantville Gazette #53, F&SF May 2014, Lightspeed May 2014, Sun Wolf & Starhawk Omnibus, 6 cookbooks, Children of the Wolf, The Magic Three of Solatia, Jeeves 1, Jeeves 2, Back To The Moon, 19 Dr Who Comic volumes, 1636:Commander Cantrell, The Sea of Time, Rescue Mode, Analog SFF July/August 2014, Asimov's July 2014, The Mammoth Book of Mindblowing SF, A Dangerous Talent
  • June (11/$23.34): Lightspeed Special Editions June 2014, Asimov's SFF August 2014, Analog SFF September 2014, Monster Hunter Nemesis, Ghosts of Time, Crown of Renewal, Time, Space, Origin, Phase Space, The Light of Other Days
  • July (22/$43.06): Grantville Gazette #54, F&SF July 2014, Lightspeed July 2014, The Reluctant Swordsman, Freehold, The Time of the Dark, Wingman, Islands of Rage and Hope, Trial by Fire, Invasion, The Death of Sleep, Into the Hinterlands, The Dragon Lord, Extremis, Citadel, Waking to Dreamland, The Fire Rose, The Hot Gate, All the Way to the Gallows, Analog SFF October 2014, Asimov's SF September 2014, Neptune's Brood
  • August (20/$50.38): Lightspeed August 2014, The Savior, Wood Sprites, Fortunes of the Imperium, Dinosaurs and a Dirigible, Genus Homo, Infinity Blade: Awakening, Infinity Blade Redemption, The Rithmatist, The Dracula Tape, The Homes-Dracula File, Rabbi Small (Saturday, Sunday, Thursday, Tuesday), The Martian, My Real Children, Two Serpents Rise, Analog SFF November 2014, Asimov's SF October/November 2014
  • September (24/$40.11):Grantville Gazette #55, F&SF September 2014, Lightspeed September 2014,A Call to Duty, all 20 Cadfael novels.
  • October (7/$13.81): Lightspeed October 2014, Fantasy Special Edition, Horror Special Edition, Analog SFF December 2014, Asimov's SF December 2014, Hexes & Haunts, The Viennese Waltz
  • November (5/$17.04): F&SF November 2014, Grantville Gazette #56, Lightspeed November 2014, Analog SFF January/February 2015, Asimov's SF January 2015
  • December (12/$29.49): Lightspeed December 2015, A Wicked Slice, The Land of Ingary Trilogy, Friday The Rabbi Slept Late, Wednesday The Rabbi Got Wet, Strands of Sorrow, Relics of War, Carousel Seas, The Aunt Paradox, Analog SFF March 2015, Asimov's SF February 2015

Analysis
TBR: 750
Books read: 238 (including 20 freebies, 4 gifts, 2 loans)
Books otherwise removed from TBR pile: 131 (5 previously read, 1 dictionary, 6 cookbooks, 4 discarded, 22->1 Anthology, 33->1 Anthology, 50 Grafton/Evanovitch freebies, 1 duplicate, 1 freebie, 10 MZB titles discarded)

Books removed from TBR pile: 369
Books added to TBR pile: 319 (including 18 freebies, 4 gifts, 2 loans)
Removed/Added: 1.16
Net reduction for 2014: 50

Non-free books read (or abandoned): 212 (including 0 re-reads and 4 abandoned)
Total cost of books read: $540.92
Average cost of books read: $2.55

Non-free books bought: 295
Total cost of books bought: $478.44/$480
Average cost of books bought: $1.62

Unallocated budget: $1.56

(£ prices converted to $ prices at £1:$1.5)

Rating System:
1: Bad.
2: Poor. (Or just not to my taste.)
3: Satisfactory.
4: Good.
5: Excellent.

Pages are as given by the ADE algorithm in Calibre.

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-31-2014 at 04:37 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #19
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
15000 pages

Deleted.

Last edited by Geralt; 08-25-2014 at 04:28 AM.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #20
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
2014 Goal - to keep track of what I have read and try to reduce my TBR pile

Audiobooks
Spoiler:
Oscar Wilde - The Importance of Being Earnest - performed by L. A. Theatre Works - April 2012 - free - Audible ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥★

Mystery, Thriller & Suspense
Spoiler:
Innocent Blood (Order of the Sanguines 02) by James Rollins and Rebecca Cantrell [sequel to The Blood Gospel 01 ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥★]
The Eye of God (Sigma Force) by James Rollins

Classics

History

Short Stories

Mixed Stories

Romance

Holiday Overload

Other

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥★ highly enjoyed
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥★ much enjoyed
♥ ♥ ♥★ enjoyed
♥ ♥★ OK
♥ not interesting/didn't finish/deleted
★ useful for some information

Last edited by dreams; 06-11-2014 at 01:46 AM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #21
Rakgi
Suikoden Star of Destiny
Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rakgi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, IPad1, IPad Mini, Kindle 4, Kindle PW1, Kobo Mini
To Keep track of any books read and Listen to at least 10 Audiobooks

My goal for 2014 is just to keep track of any books read and Listen to at least 10 Audiobooks (I really want to tick off some of my Audible library backlog, most of my audiobooks this year have been Graphic Audio ones)

1) Second Grave on the Left by Darynda Jones Finished 1/1/14 (45% of book read in 2013)
2) Third Grave Dead Ahead by Darynda Jones Finished 3/1/14
3) The Dracons' Woman by Laura Jo Phillips Finished 5/1/14
4) The Lobos' HeartSong by Laura Jo Phillips Finished 6/1/14
5) The Katres' Summer by Laura Jo Phillips Finished 7/1/14
6) The Bearens' Hope by Laura Jo Phillips Finished 8/1/14
7) Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet by Darynda Jones Finished 11/1/14
8) Darkest Fear by Cate Tiernan Finished 15/1/14
9) The Aware by Glenda Larke Finished 21/1/14 (reread)
10) Fifth Grave Past the Light by Darynda Jones Finished 2/2/14
11) The Fever by Diane Hoh Finished 6/2/14
12) Crimson Veil by Yasmine Galenorn Finished 9/2/14
13) Written in Red by Anne Bishop Finished 20/2/14 (reread)
14) Wild Things by Chloe Neill Finished 24/2/14
15) Murder of Crows by Anne Bishop Finished 28/2/14
16) The Gravity Engine by Kylie Chan Finished 7/3/14
17) Honour's Knight by Rachel Bach Finished 8/3/14
18) The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett Finished 10/3/14
19) The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan Finished 14/3/14
20) The Novice by Trudi Canavan Finished 18/3/14
21) Night Broken by Patricia Briggs Finished 20/3/14
22) The High Lord by Trudi Canavan Finished 25/3/14
23) The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde Finished 2/4/14 (reread)
24) The Song of the Quarkbeast by Jasper Fforde Finished 4/4/14 (reread)
25) Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead Finished 17/4/14
26) The Eye of Zoltar by Jasper Fforde Finished 1/5/14
27) A Confusion of Princes by Garth Nix Finished 5/5/14
28) Thirteenth Child by Patricia C. Wrede Finished 10/5/14 (reread)
29) Across the Great Barrier by Patricia C. Wrede Finished 13/5/14 (reread)
30) The Far West by Patricia C. Wrede Finished 15/5/14 (reread)
31) Demon Child by Kylie Chan Finished 21/5/14
32) Sixth Grave on the Edge by Darynda Jones Finished 24/5/14
33) Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead Finished 2/6/14
34) My Teacher is an Alien by Bruce Coville Finished 9/6/14 (reread)
35) Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce Finished 13/6/14 (reread)
36) Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce Finished 14/6/14 (reread)
37) The Line by J.D. Horn Finished 15/6/14
38) The Source by J.D. Horn Finished 18/6/14
39) Terrier by Tamora Pierce Finished 5/7/14 (reread)
40) Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce Finished 9/7/14 (reread)
41) The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen Finished 13/7/14
42) Deadly Curiosities by Gail Z. Martin Finished 22/7/14
43) Poison Promise by Jennifer Estep Finished 26/7/14
44) A Brothers Price by Wen Spencer Finished 26/7/14 (reread)
45) Silver Shadows by Richelle Mead Finished 2/8/14
46) Full Blooded by Amanda Carlson Finished 7/8/14
47) Blood Games by Chloe Neill Finished 12/8/14
48) Earth Flight by Janet Edwards Finished 15/8/14
49) Flight from Hell by Yasmine Galenorn Finished 21/8/14
50) The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North Finished 7/9/14
51) Broken Blade by Kelly McCullough Finished 12/9/14
52) Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White Finished 17/9/14
53) The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White Finished 21/9/14
54) Closer to Home by Mercedes Lackey Finished 13/10/14
55) Seventh Grave and No Body by Darynda Jones Finished 29/10/14
56) Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison Finished 3/11/14
57) Random by Alma Alexander Finished 6/11/14
58) Gift of the Unmage by Alma Alexander Finished 8/11/14
59) The Good, the Bad, and the Undead by Kim Harrison Finished 15/11/14
60) Every Which Way But Dead by Kim Harrison Finished 20/11/14
61) A Fistful of Charms by Kim Harrison Finished 23/11/14
62) For a Few Demons More by Kim Harrison Finished 28/11/14
63) Black Widow by Jennifer Estep Finished 2/12/14
64) The Outlaw Demon Wails by Kim Harrison Finished 6/12/14
65) White Witch, Black Curse by Kim Harrison Finished 8/12/14
66) Black Magic Sanction by Kim Harrison Finished 11/12/14
67) Empress of Mijak by Karen Miller Finished 20/12/14
68) Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Finished 29/12/14

Audiobooks

1) Doctor Who - Nothing O'Clock by Neil Gaiman Finished 16/1/14
2) Cemetery Girl by Charlaine Harris Finished 3/12/14 (Graphic Audio Edition)
3) A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens Finished 18/12/14 (narrated by Neil Gaiman)

Last edited by Rakgi; 12-29-2014 at 04:17 AM.
Rakgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #22
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Goal: 120 books in 2014

To read 120 books, including many from both the MR Book Club and the MR Literary Book Club. To limit my purchases to $40 monthly.

Books read: 129
Pages read: 41435
Average Page Count: 321
Purchases: January - $53.76; February - $79.89; March - $105.91; April - $33.71; May - $36.35; June - $45.38; July - $33.50; Aug - $70.34; Sept - $32.05; Oct - $19.92; Nov - $31.09, Dec - $69.08

Spoiler:
1. Life After Life - Kate Atkinson [2 Jan] 529 p. ****
2. On Canaan's Side - Sebastian Barry [4 Jan] 269 p. ***
3. Fall of Giants - Ken Follett [8 Jan] 985 p. ****
4. Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier [9 Jan] 354 p. ****
5. All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque [10 Jan] 248 p. *****
6. The Sultan of Monte Cristo - Holy Ghost Writer [10 Jan] 110 p. *
7. The Overcoat and Other Stories - Nikolai Gogol [13 Jan] 114 p. ***
8. Captain Blood - Rafael Sabatini [19 Jan] 296 p. ***
9. Shot on Location - Laurence Shames [20 Jan] 224 p. ***
10. Walden on Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom - Ken Ilgunas [21 Jan] 320 p. ***
11. Mr. Monk on the Road - Lee Goldberg [24 Jan] 291 p. ***
12. Winter of the World - Ken Follett [27 Jan] 940 p. ****
13. Reservation Blues - Sherman Alexie [29 Jan] 303 p. ****
14. Cocaine Blues - Kerry Greenwood [30 Jan] 185 p. ***
15. The Bat - Jo Nesbo [1 Feb] 369 p. ***
16. The Good Lord Bird - James McBride [8 Feb] 432 p. ***
17. Flight Behavior - Barbara Kingsolver [9 Feb] 436 p. ****
18. Fools Crow - James Welch [15 Feb] 400 p. ****
19. Outlander - Diana Gabaldon [20 Feb] 640 p. ****
20. Eva's Eye - Karin Fossum [22 Feb] 305 p. ***
21. Dragonfly in Amber - Diana Gabaldon [25 Feb] 768 p. ***
22. The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America - Thomas King [26 Feb] 266 p.
23. Desert Heat - J.A. Jance [27 Feb] 172 p. ***
24. The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion [1 March] 304 p. ****
25. Roseanna - Maj Sjöwall, Per Wahlöö [3 March] 224 p. ****
26. The Man With a Load of Mischief - Martha Grimes [7 March] 278 p. ***
27. The Burglar Who Counted the Spoons - Lawrence Block [8 March] 250 p. ****
28. A Time of Gifts - Patrick Leigh Fermor [11 March] 321 p. *****
29. The Inferno - Dante Alighieri [12 March] 350 p. ****
30. Death in a Cold Climate: A Guide to Scandinavian Crime Fiction - Barry Forshaw [14 March] 224 p.
31. Cockroaches - Jo Nesbø [22 March] 384 p. ***
32. Naïve. Super - Erlend Loe [23 March] 208 p. ****
33. On the Trail of Genghis Khan - Tim Cope [3 April] 528 p. ****
34. The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras - J. Michael Orenduff [5 April] 268 p. ***
35. The Uncensored Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde [8 April] 273 p. ****
36. The Sins of the Fathers - Lawrence Block [10 April] 304 p. ****
37. Grey Mask - Patricia Wentworth [22 April] 256 p. ***
38. Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories - Agatha Christie [23 April] 387 p. ****
39. Death Turns a Trick - Julie Smith [24 April] 177 p. ***
40. Akhenaten: Dweller in Truth - Naguib Mahfouz [25 April] 176 p. ****
41. Last Bus to Woodstock - Colin Dexter [26 April] 282 p. ***
42. Lady Fortescue Steps Out - M.C. Beaton [27 April] 123 p. ***
43. Still Life - Louise Penny [28 April] 293 p. ***
44. The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde [30 April] 385 p. ***
45. Pueblos, Spaniards, and the Kingdom of New Mexico - John L. Kessell [1 May] 240 p. ****
46. Flowers from the Storm - Laura Kinsale [2 May] 560 p. ***
47. Miss Tonks Turns to Crime - M.C. Beaton [3 May] 152 p. ***
48. O Pioneers! - by Willa Cather [4 May] 176 p. ***
49. Rules of Prey - John Sanford [6 May] 496 p. ***
50. The Stand - Stephen King [12 May] 1213 p. ****
51. The Face of Deception - Iris Johansen [14 May] 326 p. **
52. Under Western Eyes - Joseph Conrad [25 May] 384 p. ***
53. Time to Murder and Create - Lawrence Block [26 May] 185 p. ***
54. The Old Fox Deceiv'd - Martha Grimes [31 May] 324 pp ****
55. Good Omens - Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman [21 June] 385 p. ***
56. The Big Roads: The Untold Story of the Engineers, Visionaries, and Trailblazers Who Created the American Superhighways - Earl Swift [22 June] 384 p. ****
57. Midnight Riot - Ben Aaronovitch [24 June] 298 p. ***
58. Testament of Youth - Vera Brittain [5 July] 608 p.****
59. The Silkworm - Robert Galbraith [6 July] 464 p. ****
60. The Club of Queer Trades - G.K. Chesterton [15 July] 102 p. ****
61. Lucia in Wartime - Tom Holt [20 July] 208 p. ****
62. Rites of Spring: The Great War and the Birth of the Modern Age - Modris Eksteins [23 July] 420 p. ****
63. Of Love and War - Paul Doherty [4 Aug] 213 p. ***
64. Lucia Triumphant - Tom Holt [17 Aug] 224 p. ****
65. The White Castle - Orhan Pamuk [23 Aug] 176 p. ****
66. To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee [25 Aug] 336 p. *****
67. Halfway to the Grave - Jeaniene Frost [27 Aug] 384 p. **
68. Living with a Wild God: A Nonbeliever's Search for the Truth about Everything
- Barbara Ehrenreich [31 Aug] 256 p. ***
69. Fires of London - Janice Law [2 Sept] 188 p. ****
70. Typhoid Mary - Anthony Bourdain [3 Sept] 144 p. **
71. The Tall Dolores - Michael Avallone [4 Sept] 160 p. ***
72. Casino Royale - Ian Fleming [5 Sept] 189 p. ***
73. A Pocket Full of Rye - Agatha Christie [6 Sept] 256 p. ****
74. Empress Dowager Cixi: The Concubine Who Launched Modern China
- Jung Chang [22 Sept] 436 p. ****
75. Ten Little Indians - Sherman Alexie [25 Sept] 256 p. ****
76. The Cater Street Hangman - Anne Perry [29 Sept] 288 p. ***
77. Tipperary - Frank Delaney [2 Oct] 466 p. ***
78. Wayfaring Stranger - James Lee Burke [3 Oct] 448 p. ****
79. Hemingway's Girl - Erika Robuck [4 Oct] 352 p.***
80. Everybody Had a Gun - Richard S. Prather [5 Oct] 160 p. ***
81. Into the Darkest Corner - Elizabeth Haynes [6 Oct] 432 p. ***
82. The Crossing Places - Elly Griffiths [7 Oct] 320 p. ****
83. The Prisoner of the Riviera - Janice Law [8 Oct] 232 p. ****
84. Time and Again - Jack Finney [9 Oct] 399 p. ****
85. A Mind to Murder - P.D. James [10 Oct] 256 p. ***
86. The Man Who Would Be King - Rudyard Kipling [11 Oct] 40 p. ***
87. Succubus Blues - Richelle Mead [11 Oct] 343 p. ***
88. I Can See in the Dark - Karin Fossum [11 Oct] 250 p. ***
89. Miss Buncle Married - D.E. Stevenson [12 Oct] 396 p***
90. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith [13 Oct] 496 p. ****
91. The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven - Sherman Alexie [14 Oct] 244 p. ****
92. 4:50 from Paddington - Agatha Christie [15 Oct] 288 p. ****
93. Callender Square - Anne Perry [16 Oct] 274 p. ***
94. Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King [17 Oct] 436 p. ***
95. Dissolution - C.J. Sansom [18 Oct] 481 p. ****
96. Bartleby, the Scrivener - Herman Melville [19 Oct] 38 p. ***
97. Down and Out in Paris and London - George Orwell [20 Oct] 228 p. ****
98. The Giver - Lois Mowbry [21 Oct] 179 p. ****
99. Medicus - Ruth Downie [22 Oct] 418 p. ****
100. Tibetan Peach Pie - Tom Robbins [29 Oct] ****
101. Fer-de-Lance - Rex Stout [31 Oct] ****
102. Bird Box - Josh Maler[man [31 Oct] 272 p.***
103. Florida Straits - Laurence Shames [5 Nov] 253 p. ****
104. Jitterbug Perfume - Tom Robbins [7 Nov] 352 p. ****
105. Gray Mountain - John Grisham [10 Nov] 384 p. **
106. Terra Incognita - Ruth Downie [12 Nov] 400 p. ***
107. Mr. Monk Goes to Germany - Lee Goldberg [13 Nov] 300 p. ***
108. Sweet Thursday - John Steinbeck [14 Nov] 288 p. ****
109. The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches - Alan Bradley [15 Nov] 307 p. ****
110. The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck [18 Nov] 468 p. *****
111. Open and Shut - David Rosenfelt [19 Nov] 256 p. ****
112. Voodoo River - Robert Crais [21 Nov] 304 p. ****
113. Borrower of the Night - Elizabeth Peters [22 Nov] 336 p. ***
114. Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop - Lee Goldberg [23 Nov] 300 p. ***
115. Crossing to Safety - Wallace Stegner [25 Nov] 386 p. ****
116. Aunts Aren't Gentlemen - P.G. Wodehouse [26 Nov] 176 p. ****U
117. Unwanted - Kristina Ohlsson [30 Nov] 357 p. ***
118. A Wreath of Snow - Liz Curtis Higgs [1 Dec] 224 p. **
119. The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon - Alexander McCall Smith [5 Dec] 256 p. ***
120. Venetia - Georgette Heyer [9 Dec] 384 p. ****
121. Under Fire - Henri Barbusse [13 Dec] 352 p. ****
122. The War Poems of Siegfried Sassoon [14 Dec] 139 p. *****
123. The Burning Room - Michael Connelly [15 Dec] 400 p. ****
124. What Happens at Christmas - Victoria Alexander [19 Dec] **
125. The Cricket on the Hearth - Charles Dickens [20 Dec] 82 p. 396 p. **
126. People Are # 1 - Roger Yockey [22 Dec] 162 p. ***
127. A Rumpole Christmas: Stories - John Mortimer [23 Dec] 176 p. ****
128. Gallows View - Peter Robinson [27 Dec] 336 p. ****
129. The Mouse in the Mountain - Norbert Davis [28 Dec] 151 p. ****

Last edited by BelleZora; 12-31-2014 at 07:51 PM.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Stuart England, Great War and LitFic

Benchmark of 100 books.

24 Litfic books
12 books from/about the Great War
12 non-fiction books about Stuart England
plus ancillary fiction
2 floaters

I'll update numbers, but I'm too lazy to transcribe the titles here when I can have a 2014 shelf at Goodreads.

Last edited by issybird; 12-27-2013 at 05:42 PM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #24
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
1 - read 52 books, 2 - read all selections for both book clubs

1 - read 52 books

A Peace to End All Peace, The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East by*David Fromkin
A Tale of Love and Darkness by Amos Oz
The Chilling Spree by L S Sygnet
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
Going Dutch by Katie Fforde
1421 by Gavin Menzies
The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern
A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton
Alex Cross' s Trial by James Patterson and Richard Dilallou
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
The Pianist by Wladyslaw Szpilman
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
Always Watching by L S Sygnet
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams
The Adventures of Harry, Poppy, Dixie and Introducing Alfie by Pete Smith
The Last Dance and Other Stories by Victoria Hislop
The Two of Us by Sheila Hancock
The Greek for Love: Life, Love and Loss in Corfu by James Chatto
Labyrinth by Kate Mosse
Bridget Jones Diary, Mad About the Boy by Helen Fielding
Oh Dear Sylvia by Dawn French
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
Murder on the mind by L L Bartlett
The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella
Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
A Special Relationship by Douglas Kennedy
A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach
Never Look Away by Linwood Barclay
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Catch Me If You Can by Frank W. Abagnale, Jr. With Stan Redding
Fools Crow by James Welch
B is for Burglar by Sue Grafton
Life, The Universe and Everything by Douglas Adams
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
Sepulchre by Kate Mosse
Tiger by Tash Aw
Peter Pan by J M Barrie
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
A Night To Remember by Walter Lord
House Rules by Jodi Picoult
Lessons in French by Laura Kinsale
Marching Powder by Rusty Young
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Bad Move by Linwood Barclay
Gone, Baby, Gone by Dennis Lehane
Always Looking Up by Michael J Fox
The Dinner by Herman Koch

2 - read all bookclub selections
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
Fools Crow by James Welch

Last edited by Stephjk; 12-26-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #25
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Smile Goal: Read 100 Books In 2014

I read above my 100 books goal in 2013 but I didn't make the same goal in 2012, so I think that I'm going to keep 100 as my benchmark for the time being.

I'll be listing all of the books that I've read to completion. I'll include audiobooks as books, and also any published novellas and short story collections. If a book is part of a series I will list the series name and the volume number. I won't be listing page counts because I never pay attention to that.

Given my interests, most of the books on my list will probably fall into the science fiction, urban fantasy and mystery/suspense genres. I've been reading a lot of series books (seems everyone is getting a 3-book deal - lol).

I'm not using any rating system. If I finish a book and list it here, then I found it enjoyable - if not, I'll mention why I probably won't read the rest of the series. If the book is part of a series, I'll list its name and volume number.

(Note: All audiobooks listened-to are unabridged versions.)

(Note: (SS) = short stories tied to a particular series not formally published as a collection, usually from author sites, or a published collection of short stories such as the Liaden Universe chapbooks)

001. Castillo, Linda - Sworn To Silence (Kate Burkholder series #1)
002. Aguirre, A. A. - Bronze Gods (Apparatus Infernum series #1)
003. Andrews, Ilona - Clean Sweep
004. Castillo, Linda - Pray For Silence (KB #2)
005. Castillo, Linda - Breaking Silence (KB #3)
006. Quaid, Jamie - Boyfriend From Hell (Saturn's Daughters series #1)
007. Quaid, Jamie - Damn Him To Hell (SD #2)
008. Benedict, Lyn - Sins & Shadows (Shadows Inquiries series #1)(re-read)
009. Benedict, Lyn - Ghosts & Echoes (SI #2)
010. Benedict, Lyn - Gods & Monsters (SI #3)

011. Benedict, Lyn - Lies & Omens (SI #4)
012. Briggs, Patricia - Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson series #7) (re-read)
013. Wells, Jaye - Rusted Veins (Sabina Kane series novella)
014. Hallaway, Tate - Precinct 13
015. Hunter, Faith - Black Arts (Jane Yellowrock series #7)
016. Wells, Jaye - Dirty Magic (Prospero's War series #1)
017. Shearin, Lisa - The Grendel Affair (SPI Files series #1)
018. Mayer, Shannon - Priceless (Rylee Adamson series #1)
019. Mayer, Shannon - Immune (RA #2)
020. Mayer, Shannon - Raising Innocence (RA #3)

021. Mayer, Shannon - Shadowed Threads (RA #4)
022. Mayer, Shannon - Blind Salvage (RA #5)
023. Bennett, Jenn - Bitter Spirits (Roaring Twenties series #1)
024. Kiernan-Lewis, Susan - Murder on the Cote d'Azure (Maggie Newberry series #1) (stupid protagonist)
025. Vanderlinden, Colleen - Lost Girl (Hidden series #1)
026. Vanderlinden, Colleen - Broken (H #2)
027. Vanderlinden, Colleen - Home (H #3)
028. Hicks, Michael R. - Confederation (In Her Name series #2)
029. Hicks, Michael R. - Final Battle (IHN #3)
030. McGuire, Seanan - Discount Armageddon (InCrypted series #1)

031. McGuire, Seanan - Midnight Blue-Light Special (I #2)
032. McGuire, Seanan - Half-Off Ragnarok (I #3)
033. McGuire, Seanan - Rosemary and Rue (October Daye series #1) (re-read)
034. McGuire, Seanan - A Local Habitation (OD #2) (re-read)
035. McGuire, Seanan - An Artificial Night (OD #3)
036. McGuire, Seanan - Late Eclipses (OD #4)
037. McGuire, Seanan - One Salt Sea (OD #5)
038. McGuire, Seanan - Ashes of Honor (OD #6)
039. McGuire, Seanan - Chimes at Midnight (OD #7)
040. Murphy, C. E - No Dominion (The Walker Papers/Garrison Report #1)

041. Murphy, C. E. - Spirit Dances (TWP #6) (re-read)
042. Murphy, C. E. - Raven Calls (TWP #7) (re-read)
043. Murphy, C. E. - Mountain Echoes (TWP #8) (re-read)
044. Murphy, C. E. - Shaman Rises (TWP #9)
045. Hearne, Kevin - Shattered (Iron Druid #7) (ARC)
046. Brockmann, Suzanne - Do Or Die (Reluctant Heroes series #1) (ARC)
047. Lonely Planet - Pocket San Francisco
048. Scalzi, John - Old Man's War (audiobook) (re-listen)
049. Hearne, Kevin - Hunted (Iron Druid #6) (re-read)
050. Shea, Kieran - Koko Takes A Holiday (Koko Martstellar series #1)

051. Bennett, Jenn - Kindling the Moon (Arcadia Bell series #1) (re-read)
052. Bennett, Jenn - Summoning the Knight (AB #2) (re-read)
053. Bennett, Jenn - Binding the Shadows (AB #3) (re-read)
054. Bennett, Jenn - Banishing the Dark (AB #4)
055. Briggs, Patricia - Night Broken (MT #8)
056. Bernard, Marcella - Nightmare Ink (Living Ink series #1)
057. Shepherd, Joel - Crossover (Cassandra Kresnov series #1) (re-read)
058. Shepherd, Joel - Breakaway (CK #2) (re-read)
059. Shepherd, Joel - Killswitch (CK #3)
060. Shepherd, Joel - 23 Years On Fire (CK #4)

061. Shepherd, Joel - Operation Shield (CK #5)
062. Bach, Rachel - Fortune's Pawn (Paradox series #1)
063. Weber, David & Ringo, John - March Upcountry (Empire of Man series #1)(audiobook)(re-listen)
064. Weber, David & Ringo, John - March to the Sea (EoM series #2) (re-read)
065. Weber, David & Ringo, John - March to the Stars (EoM series #3) (re-read)
066. Weber, David & Ringo, John - We Few (EoM series #4) (re-read)
067. Hendricks, Gay & Lindsay, Tinker - The First Rule of Ten (Tenzing Norbu series #1)
068. Hendricks, Gay & Lindsay, Tinker - The Second Rule of Ten (TN series #2)
069. Hendricks, Gay & Lindsay, Tinker - The Third Rule of Ten (TN series #3)
070. Bach, Rachel - Honor's Knight (P #2)

071. Hobson, M. K. - The Native Star (Veneficas Americana series #1)
072. Lee, Sharon & Miller, Steve - The Rifles First Wife (Liaden Universe SS)
073. Olson, Melissa F. - Dead Spots (Scarlet Bernard series #1)

Last edited by Xanthe; 07-19-2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: To add books to the list
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #26
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
52 Books in 2014

Once again my challenge is to read a book a week in 2014. Also just to keep track of the books I've read.

1. Live to Tell (D D Warren #4): Lisa Gardner
2. The Gallows Curse (CRYPT #1): Andrew Hammond
3. Desert Places (Andrew Z Thomas #1): Blake Crouch
4. Locked In (Andrew Z Thomas #2): Blake Crouch
5. Break You (Andrew Z Thomas #3): Blake Crouch
6. The English Gentleman (Count of Samerand #3): Bryan M. Porter
7. Two Brothers: Ben Elton
8. Blue Monday (Frieda Klein #1): Nicci French
9. With a Twist (Lt. Jack Daniels Locked Room Mystery): J.A. Konrath
10. The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared: Jonas Jonasson
11. Killer (Alex Delaware #29): Jonathan Kellerman
12. Love you More (D D Warren #5): Lisa Gardner
13. The 7th Month (D D Warren #5.5): Lisa Gardner
14. Stranded (Maggie O'Dell #11): Alex Kava
15. Deeply Odd (Odd Thomas #6): Dean Koontz
16. The Dying Hours (Thorne #11): Mark Billingham
17. Thorne at Christmas (Thorne #11.5): Mark Billingham
18. Simon Said (Simon Shaw #1): Sarah Shaber
19. Catch Me (D D Warren #6): Lisa Gardner
20. Where the Hell am I? trips I have Survived: Ken Levine
21. Fear Nothing (D D Warren #7): Lisa Gardner
22. Never Saw it Coming: Linwood Barclay
23. Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats: T.S. Eliot
24. James Potter and the Hall of Elders' Crossing (James Potter #1): G. Norman Lippert
25. The Perfect Husband (Quincy & Rainie #1): Lisa Gardner
26. The Ballad of Reading Gaol: Oscar Wilde
27. Look Who's Back: Timur Vermes (Jamie Bulloch: Translator)
28. The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike #1): Robert Galbraith
29. News from Gardenia: Robert Llewellyn
30. The True Story of the First Bicycle In The Antarctic: Gordon Mackenzie
31. Entry Island: Peter May
32. The Travel Auction: Mark Green
33. Gone Tomorrow (Jack Reacher #13): Lee Child
34. I Want it Now! A Memoir to Life on the Set of Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory: Julie Dawn Cole & Michael Esslinger
35. My Name is Martha Brown: Nicola Thorne
36. The Bones Beneath (Thorne #11): Mark Billingham
37. Mr Penumbra's 24 Hour Book Shop: Robin Sloan
38. Is It Really Too Much To Ask? (The World According to Clarkson #5): Jeremy Clarkson
39. A Child al Confino: The True Story of a Jewish Boy and His Mother in Mussolini's Italy: Enrico Lamet
40. A Tap on the Window: Linwood Barclay
41. Genesis (Will Trent/Alanta #3): Karin Slaughter
42. James Potter and the Curse of the Gate Keeper: (James Potter #2): G. Norman Lippert
43. Deserves to Die (Alvarez & Pescoli #6): Lisa Jackson
44. Touching Distance: James Cracknell & Beverly Turner
45. To Kill a Mockingbird: Harper Lee
46. 1913: The Year Before the Storm: Florian Illies
47. The Bone Polisher (Simeon Grist Mystery #6): Timothy Hallinan
48. The Dark Labyrinth: Lawrence Durrell
49. The Advent Killer (Antonia Hawkins #1): Alastair Gunn
50. The Ritual Bath (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus #1): Faye Kellerman
51. The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike #2): Robert Galbraith
52. Ajax Penumbra 1969 (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore 0.5): robin Sloan
53. Twelve Years a Slave: Solomon Northup
54. The Monster in the Hall: David Greig
55. Traitors Revenge (CRYPT #2): Andrew Hammond

Short Stories
Re-Read
Play
Poetry

Last edited by Polarpenguin; 12-31-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #27
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Goal: At least 33% of fiction reading from outside of SF/Fantasy genres.

Current status: Science Fiction 51%; Fantasy 19%; Other fiction 30%.

Science Fiction: 66
Mary Doria Russell, The Sparrow. *****
Mary Doria Russell, Children of God. ****
Jack Vance, Lurulu. ***
Robert Charles Wilson, Mysterium. ***
Sheri S. Tepper, The Companions. ***
Paolo Bacigalupi, Pump Six and Other Stories. *****
Robert Silverberg, The World Inside. ***
C. S. Friedman, This Alien Shore. ****
Charles Sheffield, Cold as Ice. ***
Charles Sheffield, The Ganymede Club. ***
Charles Sheffield, Dark as Day. ****
Elizabeth Moon, The Speed of Dark. ****
Brian W. Aldiss, Helliconia Spring. ****
Brian W. Aldiss, Helliconia Summer. ****
Brian W. Aldiss, Helliconia Winter. ****
Linda Nagata, Goddesses & Other Stories. ***
Michael Swanwick, Stations of the Tide. ****
William Gibson, Burning Chrome. ****
Walter Jon Williams, Aristoi. ***
Vernor Vinge, The Children of the Sky. ****
Jack McDevitt, Infinity Beach. ***
Brian W. Aldiss, Greybeard. ****
Gregory Benford and Larry Niven, Bowl of Heaven. ***
Robert Silverberg, The Stochastic Man. ****
Bernard Werber, Empire of the Ants. ****
Brian W. Aldiss, Earthworks. ***
C. S. Friedman, The Madness Season. *****
Peter F. Hamilton, Misspent Youth. ***
Ken MacLeod, The Cassini Division. ****
Ken MacLeod, The Sky Road. ****
Dan Simmons, Hyperion. *****
Dan Simmons, The Fall of Hyperion. ****
Greg Bear, The Forge of God. ****
Greg Bear, Anvil of Stars. ***
Sheri S. Tepper, The Fresco. **
Poul Anderson, The Van Rijn Method. ***
Robert Silverberg, Tower of Glass. ****
Kenneth Bulmer, The Doomsday Men. **
Poul Anderson, David Falkayn: Star Trader. ***
Sheri S. Tepper, The Family Tree. ****
Margaret Atwood, Oryx and Crake. ****
Margaret Atwood, The Year of the Flood. ****
Margaret Atwood, MaddAddam. ****
Robert Charles Wilson, Burning Paradise. ****
Karen Traviss, View of a Remote Country. ***
Eileen Gunn, Stable Strategies and Others. ***
Nancy Kress, Yesterday's Kin. ****
Brian Stableford, Rhapsody in Black. ***
Vernor Vinge, Rainbows End. ***
C. S. Friedman, The Wilding. ****
Jack Vance, Big Planet. ***
Jack Vance, The Magnificent Showboats of the Lower Vissel River, Lune XXIII South, Big Planet. ***
Jack McDevitt, Ancient Shores. ****
Peter Watts, Echopraxia. *****
Nancy Kress, Probability Moon. ***
Nancy Kress, Probability Sun. ***
Nancy Kress, Probability Space. **
Charles Sheffield, The Amazing Dr. Darwin. ***
Vernor Vinge, The Collected Stories of Vernor Vinge. ****
Ursula K. Le Guin, The Lathe of Heaven. *****
Jack McDevitt, Moonfall. ***
Gene Wolfe, Storeys from the Old Hotel. ***
Walter Mosley, Stepping Stone. ***
Walter Mosley, Love Machine. ***
China Miéville, Embassytown. *****
Elizabeth Moon, Remnant Population. ***

Fantasy: 24
Fritz Leiber, The Swords of Lankhmar. ****
Fritz Leiber, Swords and Ice Magic. ****
Fritz Leiber, The Knight and Knave of Swords. ***
China Miéville, Kraken. **
Daniel Abraham, A Shadow in Summer. *****
Daniel Abraham, A Betrayal in Winter. ****
Daniel Abraham, An Autumn War. *****
Daniel Abraham, The Price of Spring. *****
Guy Gavriel Kay, River of Stars. ****
Elizabeth Moon, Sheepfarmer's Daughter. ***
Elizabeth Moon, Divided Allegiance. ***
Elizabeth Moon, Oath of Gold. ***
Guy Gavriel Kay, Tigana. *****
Glen Cook, A Shadow of All Night Falling. **
Glen Cook, October's Baby. **
Glen Cook, All Darkness Met. **
C. J. Cherryh, Fortress in the Eye of Time. *****
C. J. Cherryh, Fortress of Eagles. ****
C. J. Cherryh, Fortress of Owls. *****
C. J. Cherryh, Fortress of Dragons. ****
C. J. Cherryh, Fortress of Ice. ****
Howard Andrew Jones, The Waters of Eternity. ***
Howard Andrew Jones, The Bones of the Old Ones. ***
P. C. Hodgell, Seeker's Mask. **

Other fiction: 38
Stieg Larsson, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. ****
Stieg Larsson, The Girl who Played with Fire. ****
Stieg Larsson, The Girl who Kicked the Hornets' Nest. ***
John le Carré, Call for the Dead. ***
John le Carré, A Murder of Quality. ***
John le Carré, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold. ****
Peter Høeg, Borderliners. **
John le Carré, The Looking Glass War. ****
John le Carré, A Small Town in Germany. ***
Anne Holt, Punishment. ***
Anne Holt, The Final Murder. ***
Anne Holt, Death in Oslo. **
Anne Holt, Fear Not. ***
Henning Mankell, Faceless Killers. ****
Henning Mankell, The Dogs of Riga. ***
Henning Mankell, The White Lioness. ***
Alistair MacLean, South by Java Head. ***
Henning Mankell, The Man Who Smiled. ***
Henning Mankell, Sidetracked. ****
Henning Mankell, The Fifth Woman. *****
Gene Wolfe, Peace. ****
Henning Mankell, One Step Behind. *****
Henning Mankell, Firewall. ****
Henning Mankell, The Pyramid. ****
Alistair MacLean, The Last Frontier. ***
Henning Mankell, Before the Frost. ****
Henning Mankell, The Troubled Man. ****
Alistair MacLean, Night Without End. ***
Desmond Bagley, Wyatt's Hurricane. **
Desmond Bagley, Bahama Crisis. **
Alistair MacLean, Fear is the Key. ***
Len Deighton, The Ipcress File. ***
Anne Holt, The Blind Goddess. ***
Anne Holt, Blessed Are Those Who Thirst. ***
Anne Holt, Death of the Demon. ***
Anne Holt and Berit Reiss-Andersen, The Lion's Mouth. ***
Phil Rickman. The Wine of Angels. ***
John le Carré, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. ****

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-22-2015 at 01:06 AM. Reason: spelling
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #28
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Read 35,000 pages

I am going to repeat my goals from 2013

Read 35,000 pages of which 20 books will deal with The American Civil War and Biographies of Western figures (such as famous gunfighters, Native Americans, etc.)

10 Civil War Books

001. The Civil War: A Narrative: Volume 3: Red River to Appomattox by Shelby Foote 1120 pages ****

10 Biographies of Western Figures

001. American Legends: The Life of Sitting Bull by Charles River Editors 46 pages ***

Miscellaneous

001. Fatal Destiny (Fatal Series) by Marie Force 180 pages ***
002. Pandemonium (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith) by John Jackson Miller 101 pages ****
003. Clue of the Silken Ladder (Penny Parker Series) by Mildred Wirt 166 pages **
004. Look to the East (The Great War) by Maureen Lang 368 pages ****
005. Revan (Star Wars: The Old Republic) by Drew Karpyshyn 345 pages ****
006. A Daughter of the Sioux by Charles King 264 pages **
007. Fatal Flaw (Fatal Series) by Marie Force 406 pages ****
008. The Secret Pact (Penny Parker Series) by Mildred Wirt 127 pages ***
009. Wool - Part 1 by Hugh Howey 58 pages *****
010. Wool - Part 2 by Hugh Howey 106 pages ****
011. Untamed Hunger by Aubrey Ross 81 pages ****
012. Wool - Part 3 by Hugh Howey 122 pages ****
013. United Passion by Aubrey Ross 70 pages ***
014. Wool - Part 4 by Hugh Howey 148 pages ****

Spoiler:
3708 pages

Last edited by jersysman; 08-14-2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Updating
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #29
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
My goal for 2014 is to read 80 books

For 2013, my goal was to read 135 books, which I achieved. My goal for 2014 is to read 80 books, as I have less time this year.

1. The Blood Crows - Simon Scarrow
2. Imperial Glory - Richard Williams
3. Cold Days - Jim Butcher
4. The Dirty Streets of Heaven - Tad Williams
5. Kill Shot - Vince Flynn
6. Fated - Benedict Jacka
7. Knight Errant - Anthony Reynolds
8. Transfer of Power - Vince Flynn
9. Sleepyhead - Mark Billingham
10. Sword of Rome - Douglas Jackson
11. Knight of the Realm - Anthony Reynolds
12. The Third Option - Vince Flynn
13. City of Shadows - Alex Scarrow
14. The Pirate Kings - Alex Scarrow
15. Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch
16. Master of War - David Gilman
17. Moon Over Soho - Ben Aaronovitch
18. Bitterseeds - Ian Tegillis
19. Step on a Crack - James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge
20. Cursed - Benedict Jacka
21. Fortress of Spears - Anthony Riches
22. The Charlemagne Pursuit - Steve Berry
23. The Leopard Sword - Anthony Riches
24. Run For Your Life - James Patterson
25. Brothers of the Snake - Dan Abnett
26. Kiss the Girls - James Patterson
27. The Wolf's Gold - Anthony Riches
28. Spilled Blood - Brian Freeman
29. Iron Hands - Jonathan Green
30. Jack and Jill - James Patterson
31. Dark Vengeance - C.Z. Dunn
32. Off Armageddon Reef - David Weber
33. Forged in Battle: The Ragged Company March to War - Justin Hunter
34. Cat and Mouse - James Patterson
35. Imager - L.E. Modesitt, Jr.
36. Lord of the Night - Simon Spurrier
37. Separation of Power - Vince Flynn
38. Titanicus - Dan Abnett
39. Executive Power - Vince Flynn
40. Sanctus - Simon Toyne
41. The Key - Simon Toyne
42. Locked In - Kerry Wilkinson
43. The Tower - Simon Toyne
44. Worst Case - James Patterson
45. Tick Tock - James Patterson
46. Memorial Day - Vince Flynn
47. Black Legion: Gates of Cilicia - Michael G. Thomas
48. I, Michael Bennett - James Patterson
49. Gone - James Patterson
50. Pop Goes The Weasel - James Patterson
51. Upon a Pale Horse - Russell Blake
52. Consent to Kill - Vince Flynn
53. Roses Are Red - James Patterson
54. Dauntless - Jack Campbell
55. First Daughter - Eric Van Lustbader
56. Knights of Dark Renown - David Gemmell
57. Fearless - Jack Campbell
58. Taken - Benedict Jacka
59. Chosen - Benedict Jacka
60. Prince of Thorns - Mark Lawrence
61. Act of Treason - Vince Flynn
62. Protect and Defend - Vince Flynn
63. Extreme Measures - Vince Flynn
64. The Nemesis Program - Scott Mariani
65. King of Thorns - Mark Lawrence
66. Knots and Crosses - Ian Rankin
67. Hide and Seek - Ian Rankin
68. Tooth and Nail - Ian Rankin
69. Hounded - Kevin Hearne
70. The Striker - Clive Cussler
71. Hexed - Kevin Hearne
72. Hammered - Kevin Hearne
73. White Bones - Graham Masterton
74. The Devil You Know - Mike Carey
75. The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler
76. The Godfather - Mario Puzo
77. Vicious Circle - Mike Carey
78. Tricked - Kevin Hearne
79. Trapped - Kevin Hearne
80. Ice Station Zebra - Alistair Maclean
81. Tenth Justice - Brad Meltzer
82. A Time To Kill - John Grisham
83. Hunted - Kevin Hearne
84. Grail Knight - Angus Donald
85. Pursuit of Honor - Vince Flynn
86. The Last Man - Vince Flynn
87. Courageous - Jack Campbell
88. Sycamore Row - john Grisham
89. Into the Valley of Death - A.L. Berridge
90. Swords of Good Men - Snorri Kristjansson
91. The Undead Hordes of Kan-Gul - Jon F. Merz
92. Hannibal: Clouds of War - Ben Kane
93. The Last Wish - Andrzej Sapkowski
94. The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith
95. Promise of Blood - Brian McClellan
96. Runner - Patrick Lee
97. Farewell, My Lovely - Raymond Chandler
98. Emperor of Thorns - Mark Lawrence
99. Blood Song - Anthony Ryan
100. Sten - Chris Bunch
101. The Ocean at The End of The Lane - Neil Gaiman
102. I am Pilgrim - Terry Hayes
103. Pacific Vortex - Clive Cussler
104. Traitor's Blade - Sebastien de Castell
105. Malice - John Gwynne
106. Hidden - Benedict Jacka
107. Lethal People - John Locke
108. Lethal Experiment - John Locke
109. Desert Places - Blake Crouch
110. Locked Doors - Blake Crouch
111. Break You - Blake Crouch
112. Zero Day - David Baldacci
113. The Breach - Patrick Lee
114. Saving Rachel - John Locke
115. Passenger 13 - Scott Mariani
116. Bring Him Back - Scott Mariani
117. Ghost Country - Patrick Lee
118. Deep Sky - Patrick Lee
119. No Time For Goodbye - Linwood Barclay
120. Strip Jack - Ian Rankin
121. American Gods - Neil Gaiman
122. Germline - T.C. McCarthy
123. Exogene - T.C. McCarthy
124. Chimera - T.C. McCarthy
125. Termination Orders - Leo J. Maloney
126. Silent Assassin - Leo J. Maloney
127. The Great Stagnation - Tyler Cowen
128. Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
129. The Double Eagle - James Twining
130. Black Skies - Leo J. Maloney
131. The Black Sun - James Twining
132. The Hunter - Tom Wood
133. The Enemy - Tom Wood
134. The Game - Tom Wood
135. Brothers in Blood - Simon Scarrow
136. Better Off Dead - Tom Wood

Challenge Officially completed as of July 25 2014

Last edited by Waylander; 01-02-2015 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Added books
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 AM   #30
orangedotgreen
Enthusiast
orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi
Read at least 75 books

This year I want to explore some new genres (until now I've read mostly SF and fantasy, with a bit of mystery and historical fiction) and finish the series I started in 2013.

June challenge change: When I set the goal to 75 books I expected to read mid-size books. So far, I have 3 books over 1000 pages and so I've decided to change my goal to reading at least 30.000 pages.

Pages read: 26.215 / Books read: 63

Fiction
1. Venus in Copper - Lindsey Davis (Marcus Didius Falco #3)
2. Tomb of the Ten Thousand Dead - L. Ron Hubbard
3. The Gunslinger - Stephen King
4. The Mystery of the Blue Train - Agatha Christie (Hercule Poirot #6)
5. Crocodile on the Sandbank - Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody #1)
6. The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson
7. The Iron Hand of Mars - Lindsey Davis (Marcus Didius Falco #4)
8. The Curse of the Pharaohs - Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody #2)
9. Hogfather - Terry Pratchett (Discworld #20)
10. The Mummy Case - Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody #3)
11. Second Foundation - Isaac Asimov (Foundation #3)
12. Stardust - Neil Gaiman (audiobook)
13. Lion in the Valley - Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody #4)
14. The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Neil Gaiman
15. The First Man in Rome - Colleen McCullough
16. Words of Radiance - Brandon Sanderson
17. Elantris - Brandon Sanderson
18. Deeds of the Disturber - Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody #5)
19. Murder on the Orient Express - Agatha Christie (Hercule Poirot #10)
20. Three Act Tragedy - Agatha Christie (Hercule Poirot #11)
21. Raising Steam - Terry Pratchett (Discworld #40)
22. Old Man's War - John Scalzi
23. The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith
24. The Last Camel Died at Noon - Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody #6)
25. Cast in Shadow - Michelle Sagara (Chronicles of Elantra #1)
26. Cast in Courtlight - Michelle Sagara (Chronicles of Elantra #2)
27. Sweet Silver Blues - Glen Cook (Garrett P.I. #1)
28. And Only to Deceive - Tasha Alexander (Lady Emily #1)
29. Cast in Secret - Michelle Sagara (Chronicles of Elantra #3)
30. Shades of Milk and Honey - Mary Robinette Kowal
31. Death in the Stocks - Georgette Heyer (Inspector Hannasyde #1)
32. A Poisoned Season - Tasha Alexander (Lady Emily #2)
33. The Snake, the Crocodile and the Dog - Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody #7)
34. Behold, Here's Poison - Georgette Heyer (Inspector Hannasyde #2)
35. A Fatal Waltz - Tasha Alexander (Lady Emily #3)
36. Then Came You - Lisa Kleypas
37. The Princess Bride - William Goldman
38. Everything and the Moon - Julia Quinn
39. These Old Shades - Georgette Heyer
40. With This Ring - Amanda Quick
41. The Duke and I - Julia Quinn
42. A Morbid Taste for Bones - Ellis Peters (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #1)
43. Cast in Fury - Michelle Sagara (Chronicles of Elantra #4)
44. Cinder - Marissa Meyer (The Lunar Chronicles #1)
45. Mistborn: The Final Empire - Brandon Sanderson (Mistborn, #1)
46. The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch (Gentleman Bastard #1)
47. The Convenient Marriage - Georgette Heyer

Non-Fiction
1. 59 Seconds: Think a Little, Change a Lot - Richard Wiseman
2. The Hidden Reality: Parallel Universes and the Deep Laws of the Cosmos - Brian Greene
3. The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography - Simon Singh
4. Kon-Tiki - Thor Heyerdahl
5. The Man Who Knew Infinity: A Life of the Genius Ramanujan - Robert Kanigel
6. 10% Happier - Dan Harris (audiobook)
7. At Home: A Short History of Private Life - Bill Bryson (audiobook)
8. Seriously... I'm Kidding - Ellen DeGeneres (audiobook)
9. Animal Wise: The Thoughts and Emotions of Our Fellow Creatures - Virginia Morell
10. David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants - Malcolm Gladwell
11. The Day the Universe Changed: How Galileo's Telescope Changed the Truth - James Burke
12. The Last Viking: The Life of Roald Amundsen - Stephen R. Bown
13. The Map Thief: The Gripping Story of an Esteemed Rare-Map Dealer Who Made Millions Stealing Priceless Maps - Michael Blanding
14. How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming - Mike Brown
15. You Are Here - Chris Hadfield
16. Letters of Note- Shaun Usher

Not finished
The Wars of the Roses - Alison Weir
The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins (audiobook)
Along Came a Spider - James Patterson
Cat Sense - John Bradshaw
A Spell for Chameleon - Piers Anthony
Blue Moon Rising - Simon R. Green
To the Ends of the Earth: The Selected Travels - Paul Theroux
Sarum - Edward Rutherfurd
Buyology: Truth and Lies About Why We Buy and the New Science of Desire - Martin Lindstrom (audiobook)

Last edited by orangedotgreen; 01-06-2015 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Added books
orangedotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, challenge list