Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
EbookNovice
Banned
EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Storing quotes: The best solution I could come up with...

Hi all, recently I've been spending A LOT of time trying to come up with a solution for storing quotes I've highlighted in ebooks on my Sony PRS-T2.

This is what I was able to come up with tonight:
I created another Evernote account and made a notebook in that account as the 'designated PRS-T2 uploader account' so all quotes I make on the PRS-T2 are now sent to that notebook in that account.

As normal, I highlight the quote on the PRS-T2, but now I add the page number in the space at the top half of the screen. This way I can see the page number of where the quote is from and I'm unable to accidentally edit it because it's a shared notebook, which is set to 'read only'.

I spent a lot of time on this so I'd appreciate opinions on possible problems I might have with this setup. I don't see any flaws with this as I'm able to do everything I want: quotes with page numbers and the book title as well as quotes being uneditable.

I hope this helps someone out there!
EbookNovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Don't like Evernote system so I just sync the reader with the desktop program and use the desktop program to save the notes to a RTF file on my computer. The second icon on the bottom right corner is the button you use to export. That way each book has it's own separate file in your documents folder. It records the page number for each quote and the date you saved it as well.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Sounds interesting but I don't quite get what the purpose is except getting page numbers into Evernote. But I am illiterate regarding Evernote.
What I am curious to find out is the following:
Should you delete your notes in a book on the reader device after you have backed them up in Evernote, could you reimport the Evernote notes into your book in a way that you can access them with the reader's note functions again? If not, I'm not sure what to use Evernote for. So I suppose you have a use case why you export notes to evernote, which is worth the effort. Could you elaborate on that a bit, please?

hansl
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
EbookNovice
Banned
EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansl View Post
Sounds interesting but I don't quite get what the purpose is except getting page numbers into Evernote. But I am illiterate regarding Evernote.
What I am curious to find out is the following:
Should you delete your notes in a book on the reader device after you have backed them up in Evernote, could you reimport the Evernote notes into your book in a way that you can access them with the reader's note functions again? If not, I'm not sure what to use Evernote for. So I suppose you have a use case why you export notes to evernote, which is worth the effort. Could you elaborate on that a bit, please?

hansl
Good question.

I don't know if it's possible to send your notes from Evernote and back into the Reader.

If I deleted my highlights and notes on the Reader device I'd still have the highlights on Evernote, but I don't know how I'd send them back to the Reader.

If I used the 'export to .rtf' function in the Sony Reader desktop app would you be able to send your notes from the desktop app to the Reader?

I thought all the highlights were backed up to the Sony Reader desktop app so if you lost your Sony Reader device or deleted your books you'd be able to just put everything back on the device, right?

I'm just concerned with making highlights and not so much about handwritten notes.

Does anyone have an answer?
Old 10-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

First, Evernote uses their proprietary format to manage notes, so, in order for Reader to display Evernote's notes, they have to be converted to either ePub or PDF, the file formats Reader support. Or Reader needs to include a dedicated Evernote app supporting entire service and application features. But I think we have the former case.

For those annotations and images being uploaded to Evernote from Reader, as mentioned above, will be convered to Evernote's proprietary format. So, technically they could be downloaded back to Reader only by being converted to ePub files.

I think the purpose of support for Evernote is to provide mainly a simple means to export annotations, but not meant to support complete cloud sync features like Dropbox. It kinda makes sense for Reader since the device is not constantly connected to WiFi or 3G. At least that is the case works for me. My smartphone is for a constant connection.
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
EbookNovice
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yts06mgr View Post
First, Evernote uses their proprietary format to manage notes, so, in order for Reader to display Evernote's notes, they have to be converted to either ePub or PDF, the file formats Reader support. Or Reader needs to include a dedicated Evernote app supporting entire service and application features. But I think we have the former case.

For those annotations and images being uploaded to Evernote from Reader, as mentioned above, will be convered to Evernote's proprietary format. So, technically they could be downloaded back to Reader only by being converted to ePub files.

I think the purpose of support for Evernote is to provide mainly a simple means to export annotations, but not meant to support complete cloud sync features like Dropbox. It kinda makes sense for Reader since the device is not constantly connected to WiFi or 3G. At least that is the case works for me. My smartphone is for a constant connection.
Alright, thanks a lot for your response again!

Do you see any foreseeable problems with my solution?

As you say, it doesn't look like Sony provided a real 'cloud solution' and Evernote is the closest thing we can get.

Since I'll be using Evernote to store quotes, what problems do you think I may run into later down the track?

Again, I thank you!

Edit:
So, to be clear, I want to be able to continue using the Evernote software to store quotes I've highlighted in e-books. Will I run into problems in the future?

Last edited by EbookNovice; 10-31-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
EbookNovice
Banned

This is an example of what a quote with the page number looks like in Evernote for me:

p54

My solutions are based on the understanding that when economic actors are free to pursue their own self-interest, an economy will enjoy more prosperity than otherwise.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookNovice View Post
Alright, thanks a lot for your response again!
So, to be clear, I want to be able to continue using the Evernote software to store quotes I've highlighted in e-books. Will I run into problems in the future?
Export your Evernote notebook regularly and often to epub to avoid the trouble of losing all notes at once for whatever reason.
hansl
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
EbookNovice
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansl View Post
Export your Evernote notebook regularly and often to epub to avoid the trouble of losing all notes at once for whatever reason.
hansl
Alright, thanks.

As we discussed, I couldn't export the Evernote notebook into the PRS-T2 because of the reasons yts06mgr outlined. Could I?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:27 AM   #10
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Quote:
Alright, thanks.

As we discussed, I couldn't export the Evernote notebook into the PRS-T2 because of the reasons yts06mgr outlined. Could I?
You can export your annotations to Evernote, but there is no way you could make the annotations come back to where they were using Evernote. If you wish to backup and restore your books and annotations, Reader for PC app can be used.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
EbookNovice
Banned

Quote:
You can export your annotations to Evernote, but there is no way you could make the annotations come back to where they were using Evernote. If you wish to backup and restore your books and annotations, Reader for PC app can be used.
Alright, thanks for your advice.

It seems like Sony hasn't offered a real 'cloud solution' for backing up of highlighted notes other than Evernote.

What would happen if my PC crashed and so I had to re-install Windows. If I plugged in my Sony PRS-T2 and I hit 'Sync' in the Sony software would the Sony PRS-T2 upload all its books and notes to the PC or would the PC 'sync' and wipe out my PRS-T2?

Thank you again!
Old 11-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
EbookNovice
Banned

Do you think I'll have any issues with relying on Evernote? Other than uploading highlights from books, what else can I do with Evernote?

Thank you, sir!
Old 11-04-2013, 04:38 AM   #13
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Quote:
Do you think I'll have any issues with relying on Evernote? Other than uploading highlights from books, what else can I do with Evernote?

Thank you, sir!
It all depends on what you want to do with Evernote.
If you mainly want to upload your annotations to Evernote to work/view with other apps in your PC, tablet/phone/ipad, Evernote uploads from Reader can be very useful.
If you often create web page notes using Evernote Clearly and want to read them later with Reader, using Evernote with Reader would be an advantage.
I do both. I write reports based on all annotations I upload to Evernote and apply them to Word docs later. I make web page clips, mainly news articles and reviews, using Evernote Clearly and then sync with Reader later for hours of reading.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #14
EbookNovice
Banned

Quote:
It all depends on what you want to do with Evernote.
If you mainly want to upload your annotations to Evernote to work/view with other apps in your PC, tablet/phone/ipad, Evernote uploads from Reader can be very useful.
If you often create web page notes using Evernote Clearly and want to read them later with Reader, using Evernote with Reader would be an advantage.
I do both. I write reports based on all annotations I upload to Evernote and apply them to Word docs later. I make web page clips, mainly news articles and reviews, using Evernote Clearly and then sync with Reader later for hours of reading.
Ok, that's great. Thanks for sharing!

I'll need to try using the PRS-T2 for reading web pages.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #15
EbookNovice
Banned

Just ask questions if anyone needs help!