Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #16
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Is there a reference somewhere in the books that mentions 1991? Or a year at all?
In Chamber of Secrets Harry attends the 500th Deathday celebration of Nearly Headless Nick at which there's a cake with the date of his death on the icing: 31st October 1492. Hence book two takes place in 1992/3.

There's a reference in Philospher's Stone to Harry's 11th birthday being a Tuesday which 31st July 1991 wasn't which you can either take as an indication that the HP world is an alternate universe with a slightly different calendar, or an editing 'mistake'.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Thanks, Paul!

Crich and mrscoach, I didn't doubt your sources and links, I was just wondering, if the dates were really in the book or fabricated afterwards, in the hype of the success and as part of all the marketing. I couldn't remember having read them.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #18
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
That's ok. I couldn't remember how we knew, either. I just knew that the lexicon was reliable, and took things from the books and her interviews. I had forgotten about Nick's death day party.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #19
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I had also forgotten about Nick's 'party.' I've read so many fan fics where the date is given though, and remember "will be born as the 7th month dies..." and his birth day is the day after Neville's (Neville Longbottom being the other wizard boy who the prophesy could refer to) Plus Harry was 15 months old when Voldemort attacked and that was on Oct. 31st 1981 (Halloween) so if he was exactly 15 months old then the 31st of July fits. I'm sure there must be something in one of the books that verifies it. He always waits up for his birthday presents from friends at midnight on the date for example though I don't have the exact page and book where it's mentioned handy.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #20
Jane Oldaker
Groupie
Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung G3 Tablet, Kobo Vox
Crikey that's amazing that that much time has gone by. My husband and I used to fight over who got to read them first once they were gifted to my daughter by my father....LOL.
Jane Oldaker is offline   Reply With Quote