Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
pearsjd
pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook Color
Which one?

Hello

I need some advice on e-ink readers. I usually read on an ipad but want something smaller and lighter.

I need something lightweight as the arthritis in my hands is getting worse.
I use Calibre to store my extensive library(I review and I'm constantly moving books between my ipad and and Calibre)so I'd like something that is easy transfer books to and fro.

I had looked at the Kobo glo, nook glowlight and the kindle paperwhite.

I'd really appreciate some help.

Thank you
pearsjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would suggest the PRS-T2 because it has both a touch screen and page turn buttons and it's light in weight.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The Kobo Mini is the lightest of all and a very nice reader. But if you are interested in a lighted reader, I would go with the Kobo Glo or the Kindle Paperwhite. Both readers are great, and light weight. It's really nice to have that lighted screen too.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The Kobo Mini is the lightest of all and a very nice reader. But if you are interested in a lighted reader, I would go with the Kobo Glo or the Kindle Paperwhite. Both readers are great, and light weight. It's really nice to have that lighted screen too.
I cannot recommend the mini due to it being 5" and most of all, because the firmware is buggy.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Kobo Glo would be my first choice. The only reason I sold mine was because I upgraded to Aura.

On the other hand, Kindle 4 NT is cheap, even more lightweight, and if you don't have a dislike for physical page turn buttons, it's an excellent reader. It's only drawback (IMO) is it's lack of a frontlight feature.

For
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
Kobo Glo would be my first choice. The only reason I sold mine was because I upgraded to Aura.

On the other hand, Kindle 4 NT is cheap, even more lightweight, and if you don't have a dislike for physical page turn buttons, it's an excellent reader. It's only drawback (IMO) is it's lack of a frontlight feature.

For
All it has is buttons. Not good for someone with bad arthritis in the hands.

A touch screen is much better because it doesn't require as much pressure to change the screen.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I love my Kindke Paperwhite and if you buy it direct from Amazon you get 30 days to try and decide and you can return it if you don't like it.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
If you can, I would suggest going to a store to have a look at the different glow screens to see which you like better. A lighted screen that works for one person may be intolerable to another.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsjd View Post
I had looked at the Kobo glo, nook glowlight and the kindle paperwhite.
I think that with all three, transferring to/removing from the reader with calibre is simple, with indications when the device is plugged in of which books are already on the device.

I have a nook simpletouch glowlight. It's great apart from the light, which is really too uneven, with glare at the top and around the edges.

I haven't seen the Kobo glo, but I have seen a Kindle Paperwhite, and it's light was far batter than my nook's.

Looking at the weight, there's not much in it.
The Paperwhite is 213g
The Kobo glo is 185g
The nook simpletouch glowlight is 197g

The 28g between the Kobo and the Paperwhite is about 1oz.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think that with all three, transferring to/removing from the reader with calibre is simple, with indications when the device is plugged in of which books are already on the device.

I have a nook simpletouch glowlight. It's great apart from the light, which is really too uneven, with glare at the top and around the edges.

I haven't seen the Kobo glo, but I have seen a Kindle Paperwhite, and it's light was far batter than my nook's.

Looking at the weight, there's not much in it.
The Paperwhite is 213g
The Kobo glo is 185g
The nook simpletouch glowlight is 197g

The 28g between the Kobo and the Paperwhite is about 1oz.
The weight of the PRS-T2 is 164g without a cover. That could be the different between being able to hold it or not if the arthritis is acting up. Just because it has a light doesn't mean it's appropriate in this case. In this case, the lightest may be best.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I cannot recommend the mini due to it being 5" and most of all, because the firmware is buggy.
What's wrong with 5"? I don't see where the OP indicated that was a concern.

I showed my Mini to my mother and she thought it was small, until she compared it to her iphone.

As for firmware being buggy, I haven't had it very long, but haven't experienced any firmware problems.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
What's wrong with 5"? I don't see where the OP indicated that was a concern.

I showed my Mini to my mother and she thought it was small, until she compared it to her iphone.

As for firmware being buggy, I haven't had it very long, but haven't experienced any firmware problems.
I don't know the OPs level of experience and until that's known, I cannot recommend Kobo until they get their firmware more debugged. I've been reading the threads and they way things are going in each new firmware, I just can't do it. SO even if 5" is OK for the OP, I cannot say yes because it's Kobo.

I'm recommending The T2 because it's the lightest and it has both Touch and page turn buttons that are not as stiff as the K4NT. With arthritis, anything that can be easier is a blessing. I am not discounting the PW. There's nothing wrong with it for arthritis as far as I can tell unless the extra weight is an issue.

One thing I can recommend is some sort of stand. That might help by not having to hold and by having a touch screen, it makes it easier to page turn while in the stand.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:25 AM   #13
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
From what I have seen in stores, the Glo and the Paperwhite are both great devices.
I can tell first hand that the Kobo devices work very well with Calibre. As for Kindle, I can only assume that it's as good.
Between them, it's more with which one you feel more comfortable (graphic interface, dictionaries, highlights...). Not any device is perfect in itself, nor perfect for everyone. Not all of them do exactly the same thing, which is great since it leaves room to find the one fitted for one's needs

Regarding the Kobo bugs, I truly think they are more prone to be noticed by power users and readers switching between different makers.

In short, you can't go wrong with a Glo, a Paperwhite or the surprisingly nice Mini. In the end, it's how you feel with them.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
One thing to keep in mind since you use Calibre - with the Kindle you can connect wirelessly to your Calibre library. It's good to use the USB when you're downloading a bunch of books at once, but if you want to snag just a book or two it's really nice to be able to connect to Calibre via wifi. It's something the Nook can't do. I don't know whether Kobo or Sony let you use wifi for anything other than their stores. Also, aside from the Kobo Aura, the Paperwhite has the best screen right now.

If you do decide on a Paperwhite, be aware that Amazon now has refurbished units for a $15 discount if you want to save a bit on one. They aren't always in stock.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
One thing to keep in mind since you use Calibre - with the Kindle you can connect wirelessly to your Calibre library. It's good to use the USB when you're downloading a bunch of books at once, but if you want to snag just a book or two it's really nice to be able to connect to Calibre via wifi. It's something the Nook can't do. I don't know whether Kobo or Sony let you use wifi for anything other than their stores.
Why would wifi be restricted in that way? It's bare-bones as a general web browser, but the Kobo browser can access the Calibre content server (and other ebook sources, like Gutenberg, and webmail, and wikipedia, and news sites, etc etc).
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote