Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #1426
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren41 View Post
I have received a replacement paperwhite and it already had 5.3.5 installed. Does anyone have a link to 5.3.4, please? I have searched the forum but can't find one.

many thanks

ren
Look in the PW jailbreak thread. There's a link to all firmwares at the top of the first post.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #1427
ren41
Connoisseur
ren41 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, iPad2, iPhone 6S+, iPhone 8
Thanks ixtab - I assumed the link was to versions earlier than 3.3.3.

Your folder is called kindle touch updates, are they the same?

ren
ren41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #1428
ren41
Connoisseur
ren41 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kindle Voyage, iPad2, iPhone 6S+, iPhone 8
I just checked the latest touch update and see it's way behind at 5.3.2.1 so that's great, thanks.

Just to check that I am right, am I in thinking I can just 'update' to 5.3.4 to roll back from 5.3.5?

thanks again

ren
ren41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:49 AM   #1429
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ren41 View Post
I just checked the latest touch update and see it's way behind at 5.3.2.1 so that's great, thanks.

Just to check that I am right, am I in thinking I can just 'update' to 5.3.4 to roll back from 5.3.5?

thanks again

ren
Yes, that is possible. I did it before. The problem is that you will get an auto update when wifi is on! It updated mine although I had the backdoorlock8 installed. Maybe I did something wrong. Right now I live with the latest update (PW seems quicker).
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #1430
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

JBPatch for 5.3.5+: Wait and bleed

Old 05-29-2013, 01:54 AM   #1431
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
Temporally hack for Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4-5.4.4.2 and Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation 5.4.2-5.4.5.1 with "English (United Kingdom)" interface:

Paperwhite
update_fonthack_0.3_pw_534.zip
update_fonthack_0.3_pw_535.zip
update_fonthack_0.3_pw_536.zip
update_fonthack_0.3_pw_538.zip (also works on 5.3.8.1)
update_fonthack_0.3_pw_539.zip
update_fonthack_0.4_pw_544.zip
update_fonthack_0.5_pw_5441.zip (also works on 5.4.4.2)

Paperwhite 2
update_fonthack_0.4_pw2_542.zip (also works on 5.4.2.1)
update_fonthack_0.4_pw2_543.zip
update_fonthack_0.5_pw2_5431.zip (also works on 5.4.3.2)
update_fonthack_0.5_pw2_545.zip (also works on 5.4.5.1)

- The changed size of a font at reading mobi-books (Mobi-drawing-en_GB.jar)
- The changed size of a font at reading kf8/azw3-books (HTMLReader-impl-en_GB.jar);
- The changed size of a font in the panel of search (Reader-plugin-en_GB.jar);
- The switched on reflow-mode for pdf-documents (Reader-plugin-en_GB.jar);
- The changed margins at reading mobi/kf8-books and pdf-documents (ReaderSDK-impl-en_GB.jar);
- The reduced height of the bottom progressbar (ReaderSDK-impl-en_GB.jar).

More details in a Readme_eng.txt file...

Last edited by kaznelson; 10-14-2014 at 04:21 AM. Reason: popup window of dictionary use first "Aa" size (v0.5)
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:34 AM   #1432
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Archive.

Attached here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip update_fonthack_0.3_pw_535.zip (246.9 KB, 544 views)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:12 PM   #1433
endriu
endriu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Doesn't work.
endriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #1434
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Yes, it does. You only have to carefully read the instructions.

On a different note, I figured that the safe way to switch between the different setups is uninstall and reinstall with the new setup. At this hour (it is 01:25 in the morning) I have not enough peace of mind to read carefully the install.ffs script to verify if I can skip the uninstall step.

Third: I have to admit that I would like a 1 pixel step. I know, if I want too much, I lose the gift, but anyway...

Thank you for a great job.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #1435
endriu
endriu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Yep, I was pasting the whole folders instead of their contents only. Everything works like a charm.
And the PDF reflow - at last!

Many, many thanks to you, kaznelson!

Last edited by endriu; 05-29-2013 at 06:55 PM.
endriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #1436
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by endriu View Post
Here are the contents of my fonthack_install.log:

Start install: Thu May 30 00:04:39 EEDT 2013
OTA_install: level I: move: Installing hacked file (/mnt/us/Mobi-drawing-en_GB.jar)...
OTA_install: level I: check: Skip: /mnt/us/Mobi-drawing-en_GB.jar not found.
OTA_install: level I: move: Installing hacked file (/mnt/us/HTMLReader-impl-en_GB.jar)...
OTA_install: level I: check: Skip: /mnt/us/HTMLReader-impl-en_GB.jar not found.
OTA_install: level I: move: Installing hacked file (/mnt/us/Reader-plugin-en_GB.jar)...
OTA_install: level I: check: Skip: /mnt/us/Reader-plugin-en_GB.jar not found.
OTA_install: level I: move: Installing hacked file (/mnt/us/ReaderSDK-impl-en_GB.jar)...
OTA_install: level I: check: Skip: /mnt/us/ReaderSDK-impl-en_GB.jar not found.
Complete install: Thu May 30 00:04:45 EEDT 2013

--

Guess, that doesn't mean a success...
No guessing involved - it clearly shows a clear case of PEBCAK

Try following the second step of the instructions:
{Copy in Kindle USB-disk:}
- { ... }
- contents of one of the below-mentioned folders ...
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:27 AM   #1437
kaznelson
Old Kaz
kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaznelson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
I have not enough peace of mind to read carefully the install.ffs script to verify if I can skip the uninstall step.
Removal before installation of other font-sizes is not required.

Spoiler:
Code:
if [ -f ${KF7_HACK} ] && [ ! -f ${KF7_BAK} ]; then
    logmsg "I" "copy" "	Backup original file (${KF7_ORIG})"
    cp -f ${KF7_ORIG} ${KF7_BAK}
    logmsg "I" "move" "	Create new resource file (${KF7_ORIG})"
    mv -f ${KF7_HACK} ${LIB_DIR}
elif [ -f ${KF7_HACK} ] && [ -f ${KF7_BAK} ]; then
    logmsg "I" "move" "	Backup exist, skipped. Replace old file (${KF7_ORIG})"
    mv -f ${KF7_HACK} ${LIB_DIR}
else
    logmsg "I" "check" "Skip: ${KF7_HACK} not found."
fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
I have to admit that I would like a 1 pixel step. I know, if I want too much, I lose the gift, but anyway...
Hm-m-m, 1 pixel step? There can be identical sizes of the next steps...

For example - real height in pixels for line 2_26-40 (letters - S/e, font - Helvetica LT):
26/19; 29/21; 31/22; 32/23; 34/25; 37/27; 40/29; 42/31

For calculation it's possible to choose a one pixel step - but really it depends on chosen font and algorithm of font processing by Kindle.

Also it's difficult to make "very well" for all. In a range from 16 to 40 pixels - 18 (!) possible size-sets.

Last edited by kaznelson; 05-30-2013 at 02:26 AM.
kaznelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #1438
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaznelson View Post
Removal before installation of other font-sizes is not required.
Thank you, this was it. An install when a backup exists should not overwrite the backup. This is what I wanted to check. Excellent.

Quote:
Hm-m-m, 1 pixel step? There can be identical sizes of the next steps...
I use two different versions of Charis SIL font: Modified and ModifiedLarge, as set up, described and tested in the fonts thread. I noticed that they cover different sets of screen sizes. I concluded that somewhere I need a smaller increment in order to avoid using two sets of font files for the same purpose. This is my reasoning. Of course, I miss something along these lines.

Quote:
Also it's difficult to make "very well" for all.
I agree. It is more than difficult, it is actually impossible, and undesirable.

Thank you.

Last edited by hfpop; 05-30-2013 at 09:54 AM.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #1439
mezzolux
mezzolux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Hyphenation is THE killer feature, especially if you happen to read mostly german texts.
I really can't understand why this isn't implemented in the standard Kindle software.
I really appreciate your efforts ixtab! Small donation went to the Laos Literacy Project.
Thanks again and keep up the good work!
mezzolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:03 PM   #1440
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzolux View Post
Hyphenation is THE killer feature, especially if you happen to read mostly german texts.
I really can't understand why this isn't implemented in the standard Kindle software.
I really appreciate your efforts ixtab! Small donation went to the Laos Literacy Project.
Thanks again and keep up the good work!
Well thank *you*, twice actually! First for your unselfish donation, and second for *not* bitching because JBPatch doesn't support FW 5.3.5

Wirklich ernstgemeint: dankeschön!

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks