Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
Haemi110
Haemi110 began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92
M92 - Problem with dictionary

Hi there,

I bought my M92 a few weeks ago and have to say all in all I'M really happy with the device. However the dictionary doesn't work accuratly so maybe you've experienced this as well:

I installed the English-German dictionary from Booxtor and when I select a word in the text it won't read out the word correctly. Eg. I'm selecting "summary" I get a "4" in the translation box. But I tried it with a different word before and it worked fine. I'm using Cool Reader and epub but I've also tried pdfreader on a pdf-document.

I'm using firmware version 1.8 20130117

Any suggestions how to fix that?

Thanks, Dennis
Haemi110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I do not understand well, what the problem is.

There is problem if one tries imput words with some, not all, accented letters. In that case the word is not parsed correctly and is input only part of it.

In any case, it is possible to input +-any word using virtual keyboard.

It would be nice, if Onyx fixes this accented letters' unwanted "feature".

I speak about pdfreader, the new one. In the old one, you cannot input desired word using virtual keuboard while reading book.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Haemi110

Thank you for your fast reply. I just tested the dictionary by using the virtual keyboard. This somehow doesn't work, it always says "word not found in dictionary". (I chose the english-german dirctionary before)

So I guess the problem is not the word recognizing but rather the dictionary itself. So here is what I did:

I unpacked the EN-DE stardict dictionary using Winrar 2.4.2 and extracted to the internal storage on "dicts/Stardict english-german"

I can chose this file in the dictionary but it doesn't work properly somehow.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Haemi110

Ok, so I tried another dictionary file and this worked. So maybe this stardict-file I used is no longer supported for some reason (I took the example file that Booxtor posted in the "Firmware updates..."-Threat.

However, I'm glad it works now.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

There is also something not working as one would expect when changing dictionaries in menu. If you change the dictionary in menu, it is sometimes actualy changed and sometimes it still searches in previous one.

I am not sure what rules it follows... But sooner or later it starts use the recently selected one.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #6
jbsavitz
Connoisseur
jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbsavitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Onyx Boox M92 and i62HD
My experience with the dictionary is it works fine for English language text and can easily select words in a book and send them to any selected English language dictionary or thesaurus. However, for non-English languages it's not possible to select the words correctly and send them to the selected dictionary. The new .pdf reader only selects a single letter or random group of continous letters or multiple words and thus you don't get a proper lookup in the dictionary.

I verified the non-English dictionary works by going to the standalone dictionary application and using the virtual keyboard to type in the non-English word and it gets looked up just fine.

I think there's a bug in the new .pdf reader with selecting non-english words.
jbsavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
Mono
Mono

no, it is old bug. it has to do with accented letters, i guess. it probably considers them whitespase...
Old 04-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo AuraH2O & Onyx i62HD & M92
I think dictionary works worse in Coolreader or Fbreader than in Pdfreader
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
Zab
Zab began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Hello experts

I have already begun a thread with my own dictionary problems but maybe I will have some answers by repeating them here (sorry to take advantage of the situation)... Contrary to haemi110, up to now I did not install any new dictionary, I only used one of those existing, namely the english dictionary. I tried it on pdf scientific articles and it doesn't work at all. First, it is hardly possible to select a word, and when I finally succeed, the definition that it is given does not correspond to my query. I will give only one funny exemple : I obtained the definition of "unction' in place of "function". Sometimes the word has no connection at all with my query.

Does someone have a idea to fix that?

I didn't buy my device at "ereader store", but at the www.onyx-boox.com website. Is there a difference with the softwares?

Thank you

ZAB
Zab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Zab, pour l'essentiel il ne devrait pas y avoir de différence entre le M92 standard (Booxtor - http://ereader-store.eu) et le modèle d'ArtaTech. La gestion du dictionnaire devrait être identique.

Zab, for the dictionnary the two models "Booxtor - http://ereader-store.eu" and ArtaTech must be identical.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
revink
revink , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revink , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revink , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revink , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revink , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revink , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revink , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revink , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revink , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revink , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revink , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: onyx boox m92
I also think I found something that could be a bug, but I am not sure and would like to ask you if you have encountered the same problem.
I have installed a downloaded a few dictionaries, quite a lot to be honest, to test them. The fact is that when a word is missing from the main dictionary it looks missing also from the others, like if the if the term is not in a universal list of recognized terms it does not show up in any of my dictionaries (and I do refresh to get a definition from each of them).
Anyone had the same problem?
And by the way can you suggest me an english-english definition dictionary you think is the best (I prefer if the spelling is also stated) (and if I have to suggest a future development I would like the possibility to have read by the device a single word instead all the page).

thanxxx

V.
revink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
imanzano
imanzano began at the beginning.

I have the same problem with the last firmware (Update 2013-07-17) reading an epub file with "cool reader" (english language). The word is selected right but the dictionary gets a part of it or a misspelled word. It makes the dictionary useless for me, I dont know how to edit the word.
imanzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
Manolo
Addict
Manolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-booksManolo has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo AuraH2O & Onyx i62HD & M92
Dictionary works better in Pdfreader.
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #14
killer87
killer87 began at the beginning.

I would like to know if you can call the dictionary when you press and hold on a word for a long time.
killer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:37 AM   #15
imanzano
imanzano began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer87 View Post
I would like to know if you can call the dictionary when you press and hold on a word for a long time.
Pressing and holding a word in "cool reader" only produces, what I think its, a page refresh, or a reallocation of the position of the page.
imanzano is offline   Reply With Quote