Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #16
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
DRM-free mobi7 format is readable on non-kindle hardware and software.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MOBI

And amazon is not the only ebook supplier/vendor supporting it. They are merely the only vendor using the kindle drm.
Ahh...I did not know that. Thank you!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:57 AM   #17
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Sometimes a book might be available in one format and not another I'd think too. Being able to convert to what you use after buying would have advantages I'd think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:12 AM   #18
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Thanks for your insights!

The saga continues!
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #19
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I try and purchase all my books as epub without DRM - I want to support the non-DRM movement. If I have to, I buy epub with DRM and strip it. As a last resort I will buy amazon mobi, then strip and convert to epub. I keep all my books in a calibre database and if necessary convert to azw3 to read on the kindle. That way I am not tied to any one format or device.

As an amusing aside:
My wife bought 2 paperwhites so we could "share" books purchased from amazon. After I set up the above system, she rarely uses the PW. Now she uses it only when she wants to read in the bath. She no longer cares if it falls in the water and gets destroyed...all the books are recoverable and she can choose the best device that is available if/when that should ever occur.
There's really no point to picking ePub over Amazon AZW/AZW3/MOBI, especially if your current reader is a Kindle. DRM removal is a painless process in either case, and you have no particular need to convert to store it in Calibre. It can rest in Calibre, DRM free, until such time as you need it in a different format. Meanwhile, you can read it without conversion on your Kindle. The real beauty of having the books DRM-free is that you have NO restrictions on what you do with it. And Calibre makes it trivial to convert to whatever format you want.

Personally, I buy most of my books from Amazon, since I usually find the best price there, and the convenience is worth it to me. However, I also buy from Kobo, and a bunch from Baen where DRM and format are complete non-issues. BUT, that said, I immediately clean them, add to Calibre, convert them if required, and sideload to my various devices. (Currently a Paperwhite and two FireHDs, one of which is my DW's.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #20
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only issue I can see is that mobi is not an open format...you must rely on calibre to convert from the closed mobi format...what happens if calibre goes away....unlikely, true....but ePub is already open. That's why I convert and store as ePub...I know calibre works today.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
The only issue I can see is that mobi is not an open format...you must rely on calibre to convert from the closed mobi format...what happens if calibre goes away....unlikely, true....but ePub is already open. That's why I convert and store as ePub...I know calibre works today.
There's also the KindleUnpack script. Archive your copy today!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #22
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
The only issue I can see is that mobi is not an open format...you must rely on calibre to convert from the closed mobi format...what happens if calibre goes away....
calibre is not the only .mobi converter. There are even online conversion sites:

http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-mobi

Even if the calibre developer were to quit, I'm sure there are other developers who would take over his fine work. If all of the possible developers keeled over at once, there would still be plenty of archives on the internet where the software would be available.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #23
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
calibre is not the only .mobi converter. There are even online conversion sites:

Even if the calibre developer were to quit, I'm sure there are other developers who would take over his fine work. If all of the possible developers keeled over at once, there would still be plenty of archives on the internet where the software would be available.
Hmmmm. OK....

Luckily there is no need for me to take any chances. I just store them in an open format to begin with...no need to worry about what may or may not be available to convert at a later date.

Obviously you can store them in whatever format you wish.

Last edited by Turtle91; 04-29-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #24
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post

They use Calibre for eBook conversion (without the courtesy of acknowledging the fact).

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...06&postcount=2
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote