Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
NightStar76
Enthusiast
NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.NightStar76 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook
Coming back to Kobo?

When my Kobo Touch broke, I went and bought a barnes and noble nook to replace it, since it was the easiest option. I've got to say, I've been happy with it, but it's also starting to go. I miss the kobo software, and the biggest problem I had with the Kobo when I bought it (the shelves not existing) seems to have been fixed.

Should I go back to the Kobo?
NightStar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
No better time than now with the new Kobo being released!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@NightStar76,
I obviously can't answer that question for you but what I can say is that after several years being a Sony fan I decided to try a Kobo Glo. I was a bit sceptical whether I'd like it because I feared the Kobo wouldn't be as well integrated with Calibre as the Sonys have always been. I needn't have worried. Kobo/Calibre integration is excellent with the same automatic control of Kobo Shelves (if you want it) as was available for Sony Collections.

All in all, my Kobo experience has been very positive
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I would so get that new Kobo Aura if I were in the market for an e-reader right now.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
I just received my KOBO AuraHD yesterday and so far I LOVE IT!

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I never had an actual Kobo reader. When I do buy books, it is usually from the Kobo store. I have a PRS-350 at the moment. I have been very good with not buying a new reader (I bought the Sony only five months after I bought the old Nook). That was about two years ago. I have to admit though the Aura is very tempting. I wouldn't be able to buy one until the fall. Still, my Sony PRS-350 is working very well. So I'm trying to figure out a way to justify buying it. By then, I'm sure there will be enough posts here about how good the user experience is.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@NightStar76,
I obviously can't answer that question for you but what I can say is that after several years being a Sony fan I decided to try a Kobo Glo. I was a bit sceptical whether I'd like it because I feared the Kobo wouldn't be as well integrated with Calibre as the Sonys have always been. I needn't have worried. Kobo/Calibre integration is excellent with the same automatic control of Kobo Shelves (if you want it) as was available for Sony Collections.

All in all, my Kobo experience has been very positive
Oh no!!

You helped me so much with my Sony when I first got it to integrate it with Calibre. I was thinking of getting this new Aura. I might be coming to you to learn all about the Shelves just like with the Sony. I am trying to wait to see if Sony will release something compatible. I need an up-to-date epub reader to go along with my Kindle PW.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
You helped me so much with my Sony when I first got it to integrate it with Calibre. I was thinking of getting this new Aura. I might be coming to you to learn all about the Shelves just like with the Sony. I am trying to wait to see if Sony will release something compatible. I need an up-to-date epub reader to go along with my Kindle PW.
Well then, you'll be pleased to hear that there isn't really any extra learning involved Defining how to create Shelves is the same as defining Collections. Calibre metadata plugboards work well on the Kobo, although you may not need one as Kobo does believe in Series/index metadata without needing to join it to either Author or Title.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote