Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #1
gewe
gewe began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Question ODT to EPUB conversion removes image from document

Hello,

I have an ODT document, containing some text and an image. When I convert the document to EPUB format, the image is removed from the document. I selected another image to be used as cover.
When I look into the EPUB file, there is only one image: the cover image.
Why is the image removed from the document?

My e-reader is a Kobo Glo (but the image is also missing when viewing the EPUB in Calibre or in Okular).
I am using Calibre 0.9.24 on Linux Mint (kernel 3.2.0-39-generic, 64-bit). In the conversion I selected Default Input profile and Default Output profile (because the Kobo profile resizes the images to 512 pixels, but the Kobo Glo is 758 pixels wide, but that's a different story).

For some silly reason an ODT document is an invalid attachment (although Kovid's instructions say "provide the file you are trying to convert"), so I zipped it, along with the conversion log and the resulting EPUB file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Kobo Glo testdocument.zip (42.1 KB, 247 views)
gewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Did you make sure that the 'remove first image' was not set in the conversion options when you ran the conversion?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
gewe

Yes, the option 'remove first image' was not set.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In an ODT file if your first image looks liek a cover, it will be detected as a cover and replaced. Put some text before the image if you dont want it detected as a cover.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
gewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
In an ODT file if your first image looks liek a cover, it will be detected as a cover and replaced. ...
Two questions:
1. What makes an image "look like a cover"?
2. "detected as a cover and replaced": replaced with what? It just seems to be removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
... Put some text before the image if you dont want it detected as a cover.
As you can see in the ODT file attached to my first post, the document contains text, followed by the image.

In the conversion I specified another image (a file on the file system, not included in the ODT) as cover. The option "use cover from source file" is unchecked. The resulting EPUB has the correct cover image.

So the question still is: why is the image removed from the document?

(Don't get me wrong, dispite this problem I think Calibre is a great product! )

Last edited by gewe; 04-17-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Extra explanation of my question
Old 04-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
gewe

Attached are the debug files of the conversion process. In steps 1 and 2 the image is still in the document, in step 3 it is gone.
The conversion log is attached to my first post.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1input.zip (23.1 KB, 203 views)
File Type: zip 2parsed.zip (23.7 KB, 227 views)
File Type: zip 3structure.zip (10.2 KB, 233 views)
File Type: zip 4processed.zip (10.2 KB, 213 views)
Old 04-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
gewe

It is getting even stranger: I added the image I selected as cover to the ODT, at the beginning. So the ODT now has the cover image, some text, and the second image.

After conversion the EPUB has the selected image as cover, but the image is also in the document. It is NOT removed!
But worse: the now second image is still removed! I was hoping it would not be removed, because it is no longer the first image in the document.

Attached are the new ODT, EPUB, conversion log and debug files.

Edit 18-04-2013: I added a document property opf.nocover, and set it to "No" (as documented in the Calibre user manual). The image is still removed!

I would very much like to know what is causing this problem.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Kobo Glo testdocument2.zip (55.8 KB, 208 views)
File Type: zip 1input.zip (29.5 KB, 196 views)
File Type: zip 2parsed.zip (30.2 KB, 222 views)
File Type: zip 3structure.zip (16.8 KB, 212 views)
File Type: zip 4processed.zip (16.9 KB, 211 views)

Last edited by gewe; 04-18-2013 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Extra information
Old 04-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I tried converting your attached document with default settings and the current calibre release and I get no missing images, and the large image gets used as the cover for the epub.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Kobo Glo testdocument.epub (32.0 KB, 249 views)
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:18 AM   #9
gewe

Yesterday I upgraded Calibre from 0.9.25 to 0.9.27. In the conversion I clicked the restore default button. The second image is now no longer removed.

Thanks for your help.

Tags
images, odt to epub