Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-05-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
nldquy
nldquy began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Cannot show toolbar and turn pages using touch

Dear all,

I'm a newbie and I've just bought a used paperwhite. All was great. I love to read at night and the paperwhite makes me happy. However, I'm getting trouble with my kindle:
- There're 3 zones on the screen: top to turn on toolbar, right to turn to next page and left for prev page. This works perfectly on my old KTouch. But now on paperwhite it does'nt work any more. I have to swipe from right to left for next page and vs for prev page. Touch on the top does not show toolbar, instead of that it try to select the word at my touch point, and show an annoying dictionary look up.

I think this is just a software problem, should be config/setting but cannot find anywhere to make it to default behaviour.

Can anyone help me to set up my paperwhite to defaul: top to turn on toolbar, right to turn to next page and left for prev page.

Thanks,
Quy
nldquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I've had had this problem of the Kindle not being able to recognize taps. It's probably a driver hanging or something. A reboot solved it. Hold the Kindle power button until the device turns off. Then hold it until it reboots.

AFAIK, there is no (official) way to change the Kindle's tap zones and its behavior .

After rebooting, it's recommended to install the latest firmware.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool close cover momentarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by nldquy View Post
Dear all,

I'm a newbie and I've just bought a used paperwhite. All was great. I love to read at night and the paperwhite makes me happy. However, I'm getting trouble with my kindle:
- There're 3 zones on the screen: top to turn on toolbar, right to turn to next page and left for prev page. This works perfectly on my old KTouch. But now on paperwhite it does'nt work any more. I have to swipe from right to left for next page and vs for prev page. Touch on the top does not show toolbar, instead of that it try to select the word at my touch point, and show an annoying dictionary look up.

I think this is just a software problem, should be config/setting but cannot find anywhere to make it to default behaviour.

Can anyone help me to set up my paperwhite to defaul: top to turn on toolbar, right to turn to next page and left for prev page.

Thanks,
Quy
I close the magnetic case cover for just a moment when similar symptoms occur on my PaperWhite. That seems to reset something and the symptoms disappear.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
nldquy
nldquy began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Thanks all,

I've tried factory setting, updated to laster FW 5.3.4, removed out the magnetic case with no luck. Still have to swipe to turn pages, very very hard to touch the top to show menu. every time touching to the top, it tries to select the words on the first line and do stupid dictionary look up . Should I contact Amazon to get a new one?

*Note: i've use the touch for along time and so confident to say that I know how to use the touch screen
nldquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Yes. Sounds like you have a point of contact issue. possibly a short in the capacitive screen. I would certainly go for a replacement.

See what Customer services has to say, may be a known fault.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote