Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #16
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I think it was last month's Smithsonian magazine that had a gripping long article on a thwarted assassination attempt.

Last edited by Penforhire; 03-15-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:15 AM   #17
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Just started A. Lincoln by Ronald C. White.

Will be using this as a reference book reading inbetween other fiction.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:33 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Fair comment. Maybe definitive wasn't the ideal word. But I would recommend it for anyone wanting an aproachable biography.

I have to say that I have been favourably disposed to James McPherson since reading his Battle Cry Freedom. It was that book that encouraged me to read the biographies of Lincoln and of other leaders of the era.

Mike
Sometimes, of course, one wants a popular book rather than a dry-as-dust scholarly work. I have a number of biographies and often the most enjoyable ones aren't always the most definitive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #19
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Not long ago I read Lincoln for President by Bruce Chadwick. It is not a biography, but focuses on the election of 1860. It really reveals a lot about what a master politician Lincoln was, the coalition that he had to put together to win that election, and his views regarding slavery.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #20
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
He was definitely a very good politician. The thing about Lincoln is that I believe he would have succeeded as president no matter what era he was in. He had a way of bringing people of divergent beliefs together for the common good.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #21
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Living as I do in Springfield, Illinois, and once having lived on the same street as A. Lincoln (though not at the same time). I can say without fear of contradiction, that Central Illinois is over run with vampires. We are all vampire hunters at one time or another. Like tornadoes, it is part of the cost of living in Illinois.
I have an uncle living there. Odd he hasn't mentioned them. Of course some would say lawyers qualify I imagine.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote