Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 03-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Making P.Clark library database

I believe the cardinal virtues of a programmer are held to be laziness, impatience, and hubris. I suppose according to those criteria I may consider myself qualified to that epithet; I cannot be bothered to search through the Patricia Clark Library for books because of the limited search criteria, I don't want to wait till the green-lettered masters improve things, and how hard can it be to make a half-decent database anyway?
So I've downloaded the current status of the library, and set to work (re)learning SQL. To make it at all probable I will achieve my goal, I've limited myself to mobi and epub, and try to extract the following information about the books from the posting head:
  • Author(s)
  • Title
  • Language
  • Version
  • Date
I have some vague concept about what database normalization is, and try to implement it.
It seemed fitting to start with Patricia Clark's opus, the meta-data have been cleansed and had rudimentary QA, and are being imported and linked in the database.
I use MySQL.
————————
Update: Just to prove I'm not bluffing, I attach a snapshot of the database. Still very pre-alpha and messy. Also attached: A forlorn hope that somebody who actually knows about databases will give it a glance.
Most important lesson learnt so far: Stuffing information into a database is much easier than prying it out again.
–––
20.03.13:New snapshot. Shaping up. Included the output of the half-dozen most productive contributors. So all you have to do now to get a list of titles in German of authors whose name includes "Doyle" is to write
Code:
select name from titles 
where id in 
(select title_id from 
books inner join book_author 
on book_author.book_id=books.id 
and book_author.author_id in 
(select id from authors where surname like '%Doyle') 
and books.language_id=(select id from languages where name='german'));
Hmm. Well, some small sacrifices in usability had to be made in order to make the search functionality more powerful
------
24.03: New snapshot. All entries as of a week ago are included. I attach the text file I use as a starting point; it's spreadsheet-friendly.
table books is the main table, one row per book, link_id refers to the id on the mobileread web site. titles are stored in the titles table, linked through books.title_id <-> titles.id. authors and books can have many-to-many relations (ditto languages), therefore the table book_author lists book_ids with corresponding author_ids, both fields non-unique.
Attached Files
File Type: gz mobileread.mysql.20130324.gz (520.9 KB, 504 views)
File Type: gz mobileread.txt.20130324.gz (256.3 KB, 481 views)

Last edited by SBT; 03-24-2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: attached new db snapshot
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #2
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
What an excellent idea! Karma to you!

If I knew anything about databases, I would volunteer to help, but I only speak Excel.

I hope your project goes well.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I really don't want to stop your enthusiasm, but I'm wondering a little bit. I know the search function here is said to be bad (by the way, not my opinion), but having the information you've posted above (author, title, language...) I never ever had a problem finding any book here.
But please, go ahead, I really don't wanna spread negativism.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, learning how to make a relational database is hopefully a reward in itself...
I agree that finding a specific book isn't that frustrating. My main gripe is the awkwardness of compiling a list of books according to specific criteria (e.g. illustrated epubs in german). But I see other potential benefits, too: Easy creation of OPDS-catalogs, making the naming of authors more consistent (how many different versions of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle are in the library now?), find which books are only available in epub/mobi versions, make some kind of popularity metric...

Progress on the database is satisfactory, I've decided on the data relationships, so now I just have to get the script for database insertion working properly.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining more deeply. And good luck with your work!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
SBT
Fanatic

Well, that seems to have been a minor waste of time...
Having fiddled with umpteen entries to ensure some reasonable quality in the database entries, I learn that the library is to be expurgated of all books that are not life+70yrs compliant...
I'm putting the project on hold until that process is done with.
I'm not really complaining; I have no more liking for being sued to smithereens than the next man, but I do insist on my right to be slightly self-centerdly grumpy and depressed about it...
Old 04-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Even with only life+70 compliant books, I guess we'll have quite a few of them. And we need the database anyway. You may be contacted by Alex at some point so that, at least, the work you've already done is not lost.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote