Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #61
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Been married for 20 years...been there and done that...and I agree that it is definitely one way of thinking about it. But it is definitely not the only way...or even the first way that comes to mind. It is all based on the context of the sentence and the context of the conversation.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #62
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Been married for 20 years...been there and done that...and I agree that it is definitely one way of thinking about it. But it is definitely not the only way...or even the first way that comes to mind. It is all based on the context of the sentence and the context of the conversation.
Agreed, the context is essential. If someone says "Does this sentence need a period or an exclamation mark?" No one is confused because the word 'period' also means menstruation. Similarly, over in the UK, they use 'swede' instead of 'rutabaga'. If someone says "I'm going to eat a swede for dinner," people don't spend time considering the possibility that they are talking to a cannibal.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #63
J. Garrett
Enthusiast
J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Garrett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, 6" E-Ink
I like to mix things up with a little semicolon action sometimes, but it's not something I do very often. You know, gotta save it for that special occasion.
J. Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is that really what a "rutabaga" is? It's such an odd word that I've often wondered .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #65
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is that really what a "rutabaga" is? It's such an odd word that I've often wondered .
They don't have Rutabagas in Britain? The world is stranger than I could possibly imagine.

Similar to a turnip, with a taste sort of like a cross between a turnip and a cabbage. IMO, an acquired taste.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 03-07-2013 at 02:33 PM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #66
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
My favorite punctuation-themed rock song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AvS4PjGTZ0
Whenever there is discussion of punctuation, I think of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF4qii8S3gw
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
The question is, what meaning is thought of when you read the word period? Let say you read period on a page by itself. What meaning comes to mind?

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-07-2013 at 10:01 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Whenever there is discussion of punctuation, I think of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF4qii8S3gw
I've seen Victor Borge in concert and he did his phonetic reading.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #69
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The question is, what is thought of when you read the word period? Let say you read period on a page by itself. What is it that comes to mind?
The same thing as when I see second: Wow, there's a word on the page by itself. Like a great many words, without context there is no meaning.

And, or course, the second thing that comes to mind is: Where's the semi-colon?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
The same thing as when I see second: Wow, there's a word on the page by itself. Like a great many words, without context there is no meaning.

And, or course, the second thing that comes to mind is: Where's the semi-colon?
What MEANING comes to mind?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #71
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
What MEANING comes to mind?
That was my point. It's word-association test without any framework. I am reminded on the scene in Armageddon where the guy sees breasts in all the ink blots.

If I put Rorschach on a page on its own then there's a reasonable chance it might convey some fairly predictable meaning to most readers. But put up a word like Period or Second, then any response from the reader relies as much on what they was doing in the time leading up to seeing that word as it does on anything else.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #72
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I've seen Victor Borge in concert and he did his phonetic reading.
Now you're just trying to make me jealous
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #73
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
The question is, what meaning is thought of when you read the word period? Let say you read period on a page by itself. What meaning comes to mind?
If the word was all by itself in a thread I would assume someone was being emphatic about a previous post.

Period   Period   Period  

First thing that comes to my mind: "replace that mess with a …"

If you are "in the business" and discuss "aunt Flow" regularly then you would probably have a different first thought....but even so, it is still contextual....all the points being made are context based. Even seeing a single word pop up out of the blue in the middle of nowhere relies on some form of context to give it meaning...If your thought processes automatically jump to "flow" then that is an indication of YOUR thought patterns and how you relate to your environment...not that there is anything wrong with that.

My issue with your original comment was your assumption that all adults in America automatically think that when the word comes up. They don't.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
They don't have Rutabagas in Britain? The world is stranger than I could possibly imagine.

Similar to a turnip, with a taste sort of like a cross between a turnip and a cabbage. IMO, an acquired taste.
Yes, we have them but, as mentioned above, we call them "swedes". I didn't know (until reading this thread) that the mysterious, and from a British viewpoint, rather oddly-named "rutabagas", were the same thing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #75
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I'd hate to see what British listeners picture when composers and academics talk about periodic rhythms.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote