Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 02-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
A Funny Thing Happened When I Tried Update

I Normally run the update every week but when i tried update this week from 9.17 to 9.18 a funny thing happened.

When i ran the updater, halfway through it gave me an error message saying:

The feature you are tryinng to use is on a network resource that is not available.
Click ok to try again or enter an alternative path to a folder containing the installation package calibre 9.16 msi in the box below.

i was able to cancel that error message and install 9.18 but when i went to add some books it refused to add them.

My next step was to try and uninstall 9.18 but that would not uninstall, again giving the error above, so i had to redownload 9.16 and run the uninstaller and point it towards that file. This did allow me to uninstall calibre 9.16 but when i rechecked in add and remove programs calibre 9.17 was there now, which i had to uninstall again.

Then finally i was able to install 9.18 with no error messages.

Has anyone ever come across this odd behavour. when i went from 9.16 to 9.17 i noticed nothing wrong.

Last edited by alanHd; 02-10-2013 at 12:21 AM.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
I Normally run the update every week but when i tried update this week from 9.17 to 9.18 a funny thing happened.

When i ran the updater, halfway through it gave me an error message saying:

The feature you are tryinng to use is on a network resource that is not available.
Click ok to try again or enter an alternative path to a folder containing the installation package calibre 9.16 msi in the box below.

i was able to cancel that error message and install 9.18 but when i went to add some books it refused to add them.

My next step was to try and uninstall 9.18 but that would not uninstall, again giving the error above, so i had to redownload 9.16 and run the uninstaller and point it towards that file. This did allow me to uninstall calibre 9.16 but when i rechecked in add and remove programs calibre 9.17 was there now, which i had to uninstall again.

Then finally i was able to install 9.18 with no error messages.

Has anyone ever come across this odd behavour. when i went from 9.16 to 9.17 i noticed nothing wrong.
Updater? Calibre updates are full installs (overwrites).
Where do you store the download? (Running updates as large as directly from the net is NOT advised. Things do go bump frequently which is why most programs have a Download phase, the do the install when all checks have been completed.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i always get the download from the official download page and i always save to my computer before i run them. plus i always make sure calibre is closed before i run the new version.

i have no idea how i could have had two versions installed.

Updater is just term i use.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Good to know that you are using official release sources.

Calibre does allow (advanced install) you to specify the install folder. I would assume that you would remember seeing (and changing) the default location if you had triggered that mode.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
alanHd
Addict

i never touch the advance options, and dont think i'm old enough to start having memory loss lol.

Like i say i managed to get it sorted, it was just one of those WTF moments when things go wrong.