Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #31
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I can't say enough good about Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan.
I really liked that too. I think I'm a little older than the target audience, so some of the pop culture references didn't do anything for me, but I still really enjoyed it anyway.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #32
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
That would have to be 'Winter's Tale,' by Mark Helprin.

I have the First Edition, which I read when it first came out. Now that it's in ebook, I decided to read it again.

It's a book rich in language, with a lot of magical realism.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #33
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
It was one year ago, but I think it's quite a telling story.
It took me years (literally) and several transcontinental flights to go through the first 100 pages of The Shadow of the Wind (by Carlos Ruiz Zafón). Then I read the next 520 pages or so in less than one week.
It seems I just needed an under-the-water train called Eurostar to get really started. My cheaper than my previous attempts

Now, every book by Carlos Ruiz Zafón is keeping me away from the real world for a couple of days, so I try to wait at least one month between two books. I will have read all of his before the end of the year.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #34
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
I just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King. The book is nearly 1,000 pages long and I read it in just a few days. I found it very very hard to put down.

It helps that the subject of the book is something that so many people are obsessed with, but what really surprised me is that the Kennedy assassination aspect of the plot was not what made the book so gripping. Instead, the meat of the book was King's spectacular recreation of the era in which the book is set, along with vividly believable and likable characters. Despite the length, the book was very tightly written and never lost its tempo, or came off the rails.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #35
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Daily Mail calls King's book a "thunking 700-pager." ???

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #36
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
I just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King. The book is nearly 1,000 pages long and I read it in just a few days. I found it very very hard to put down.
I have this - now I want to move it up in my TBR pile.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #37
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
That would have to be 'Winter's Tale,' by Mark Helprin.

Don
I'll have to check that out.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Two books that come to mind are...

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
11/22/63 by Stephen King
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #39
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Another vote for "Cold Days".
Stayed up all night and read it in one sitting.
I really tried to make it last, but I just couldn't put it down!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #40
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Killing Floor by Lee Child. Read it in a day, neglected all other household/family duties.

First book in a long time I had trouble putting down.
That was my most recent 'un-put-downable' one as well. It's a genre I don't normally read and that made it all the more gripping for me.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #41
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
The Good House by Ann Leary - can't really think of anything negative to say about it at all, except perhaps that the protagonist makes some stupid life choices, but ... that's life!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:09 AM   #42
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2

Read it in two days. Loved it.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #43
ExEmGe
ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ExEmGe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
'Wolf Hall' (Hilary Mantel) It was a struggle to make time for food. Now I have to find a suitable academic Tudor history tome to check up on the reallity!
ExEmGe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #44
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I'd guess that would be "Forbidden the Stars" by our own Valmore Daniels. I alternate between my Harry Potter fan fictions and published books and right now I'm reading FTS. I'll go on to read the other two probably in quick succession after I finish it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #45
TaraMcTiernan
Enthusiast
TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TaraMcTiernan can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: none
Gillian Flynn - can't put her down!

I read Gone Girl a while ago and it was a page-turner, but now I'm reading her older book, Dark Places, and I can't put it down! Highly recommend if you like dark thrillers...
TaraMcTiernan is offline   Reply With Quote