Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
Kindlepdfviewer running on Kobo Glo!

A video is worth more than a hundred words:

for those who still need context, I've ported the application "kindlepdfviewer" to run on our kobos. Right now the port is quite rough.
But the thing is coming up nicely and I thought there was no reason to wait to announce it I'm attaching precompiled binaries if someone wants to have a play, the source is available at my github account, right branch is "new_ui_code: https://github.com/giorgio130

More instruction on how to use this is on post #6!
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindlepdfviewer_GLO_120207.zip (7.70 MB, 910 views)
File Type: zip kindlepdfviewer_TOUCHandMINI_120207.zip (7.70 MB, 685 views)

Last edited by giorgio130; 02-07-2013 at 07:59 AM.
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actual limitations:
There's no way to control the frontlight while using kpv;
There's no way to get out of kpv besides a reboot.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
traycold
Connoisseur
traycold doesn't littertraycold doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo Hd, Kobo H2O2
Awesome! congratulations for the result already obtained! hopefully we will have soon a stable working version (i.e.: without telnet).
Really well done!
traycold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
giorgio130
Time Waster

Wow, this forum is dead! I expected some more reactions...
This means we now have PDF REFLOW guys! I should have a version that can be launched from the plugin interface in some hours...
Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
This looks like it could be really nice! I waited to post until I had time to try it out, but I couldn't figure out how to start it. Everything I tried gave me errors about something or other. It will be much more exciting once I can try it myself.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
giorgio130
Time Waster

Nailed it
Detailed instructions:
- unpack the .zip in the .kobo folder;
- install the plugin interface if you didn't do so already;
- in place of one of the custom commands put:
Code:
KPV=Plugin::executeSystemCmd("/mnt/onboard/.kobo/kindlepdfviewer/kpdf.sh /mnt/onboard")
- reboot the reader;
- Launch KPV from the plugin interface.

I've adjusted it in order to reboot if the power slider is used. The light still has to be already on when KPV is launched.

You'll have to use the last version I just uploaded!

Last edited by giorgio130; 01-23-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
I gave it a try on my Kobo Touch, but no luck. The main problem is that it detects the taps wrong (have a huge offset). I tried to change the numbers 1024 and 758 to 800 and 600 in inputevent.lua (the only place I find something seems related to screen resolution) but did not work.
I know it's for the Glo, but I'd be happy to see a better PDF-reader on the Touch than the built-in one. :-)
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
It works on my Glo.
Definitely interesting as a replacement for pdfs and other formast the kobo reader doesn't handle well.

For epubs I'm on the fence, I love how it uses the whole screen estate and the chapters are again visible in the progress bar.
But linespacing changes don't work for me, and you can't change the fonts.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
giorgio130
Time Waster

@clsdclsd: nice to know it sort-of works also on the touch I can probably fix the offset problem later on, this version has yet to be polished

@ewphoenix123: you can actually change the reading font, tap on the central top of the page and you'll get the option... I actually prefer to read epubs in the original software, at least for now
Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Thanks Giorgio, nice work.

I used it on a couple of random pdf's, and it's definitely an improvement, and good to have.

Response times on reformatting commands seemed relatively slow.

I did manage to crash it with a lot of format changes (it hung with the top left menu open and not responding for several minutes, I don't have a reproducible sequence, though).

Any way to save default display choices?

Last edited by xor_; 01-23-2013 at 05:10 PM.
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
@ewphoenix123: you can actually change the reading font, tap on the central top of the page and you'll get the option... I actually prefer to read epubs in the original software, at least for now
Good tip.
Adding custom fonts works as well, so that made the whole thing a lot more interesting.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
xuyn2003
Connoisseur
xuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texanxuyn2003 might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: PRS-T1&KOBOTOUCH
It‘s great!
xuyn2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:01 AM   #13
lollazzo
lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!lollazzo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
good
lollazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:02 AM   #14
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
has to be launched from telnet since only the second time you run it the screen is properly configured.
Hi Giorgio,
this is great, and it looks exactly like what I'd need, as so far (I am a Kobo newbie) I am still having issues with centering pdf files. So two questions for you:

1. do you expect it to work on the Mini, too?
2. do I have to install telnet first (I don't even understand what I'm writing, I am that non techie )? I am asking because the instructions in post #6 do not mention telnet.

Thanks!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 AM   #15
giorgio130
Time Waster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Hi Giorgio,
this is great, and it looks exactly like what I'd need, as so far (I am a Kobo newbie) I am still having issues with centering pdf files. So two questions for you:

1. do you expect it to work on the Mini, too?
2. do I have to install telnet first (I don't even understand what I'm writing, I am that non techie )? I am asking because the instructions in post #6 do not mention telnet.

Thanks!
Hi paola, telnet is not needed anymore, fortunately
Currently the screen size of 1024x758 is hardcoded in the file that manages touch events. So as another user reported, on the Touch there's a huge offset between where you touch and what you get. I think it will be the same on the mini. However, just follow the instructions on post #6 and report