Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
I have not heard from kaworu, but it seems that the serial number is indeed stored on the internal SD card. If you make an image of the card and then open that image with a binary editor (I used "bvi" on Linux) you can see and change the serial number.

Here I changed my serial number to all zeros:

So the question is what should I change the serial number in my image to be before I start giving out a download link?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glo_no_serial.jpg
Views:	3062
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	99398  
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #17
giorgio130
Time Waster
giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.giorgio130 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo and Aura HD
I think all zeroes is a good choice
giorgio130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #18
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
May I have a link to the image? I could use it to restore my bad factory recovery partition.
Thanks!
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #19
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgio130 View Post
I think all zeroes is a good choice
All right, I am uploading the new image now. Erlendur and freekobo, I'll PM you both once it's complete.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #20
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

sweet thanks.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #21
freekobo
Addict

I was able to restore just my recovery partition using your image and a spare sd card..my sn was still intacted after a factory recovery, thanks again KevinShort!
Old 01-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #22
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobo View Post
I was able to restore just my recovery partition using your image and a spare sd card..my sn was still intacted after a factory recovery, thanks again KevinShort!
Thank you.... Hopefully people will now realize that the serial #'s are NOT loaded from the recovery partition...
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #23
erlendur
erlendur has a spectacular aura abouterlendur has a spectacular aura abouterlendur has a spectacular aura abouterlendur has a spectacular aura abouterlendur has a spectacular aura abouterlendur has a spectacular aura abouterlendur has a spectacular aura abouterlendur has a spectacular aura abouterlendur has a spectacular aura abouterlendur has a spectacular aura abouterlendur has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
All right, I am uploading the new image now. Erlendur and freekobo, I'll PM you both once it's complete.
Thanks a lot
I will backup it for emergency use. If I use it I will post the results. But at the moment I'm too short in time for huge experiments, and my Glo runs perfect with 2.2.1.
erlendur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #24
Cylv1
Cylv1 began at the beginning.

Device: Several, including Kobo Touch
Quote:
Do you mean that :
  • you did a factory reset and recovered your original SN (the one that is printed on the original label on the kobo packaging)
  • you did a factory reset and recovered some SN that did not only consist of 0s (and you did not check that it was actually your original SN)

I ask this because the SN occurs twice in the image of the microsd card.

By now I have a kobo glo with a broken screen and I tested that on its microSD-card:
-- make an image of the SD card with dd.
-- view the binary file with bview

My serial number occurs at these two offsets of the file:
-- offset 512
-- offset 1119558144

One can access these with bview :
Code:
bview -b 512 -s 16 koboglo.img
bview -b 1119558144 -s 16 koboglo.img
As the original microSD card has 3 partitions:
-- rootfs (256 MB)
-- recoveryfs (256 MB)
-- KOBOeReader

I suspect that the recoveryfs partition is just copied on the rootfs partition when applying a factory reset.

If KevinShort only modified the first occurrence of the SN (the one in the rootfs partition), then PeterT may now own a Kobo with the SN from KevinShort's.

In order to clarify this and tell if PeterT's assertion that "the serial #'s are NOT loaded from the recovery partition", could KevinShort tell us wether he modified both occurrences of the SN in the file, and freekobo tell us wether he did check that the SN was actually the one printed on his Kobo's box ?

Thanks !
Cylv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #25
freekobo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylv1 View Post
Do you mean that :
  • you did a factory reset and recovered your original SN (the one that is printed on the original label on the kobo packaging)
  • you did a factory reset and recovered some SN that did not only consist of 0s (and you did not check that it was actually your original SN)
...freekobo tell us wether he did check that the SN was actually the one printed on his Kobo's box ?

Thanks !
Yes I checked, its my SN...and the part after the first occurrence (the manufacturer date i think?) is different.

Well, what I did was put KevinShort's image to a spare sd card.
I made an image of the second partition (recovery_fs) and then I applied the image over my broken second partition. I tried a recovery..it worked...and then it updated, I checked the SN again, its the same as it was when I got it.
I made a image of my sd..my SN has 4 occurrences...but on KevinShort's image I located the first one all 0's, the second one I found searching for 'deviceSerial' and located his SN, and then searched his image using his SN...it came up with 12 occurrences. BUT I searched his SN in my image, and was unable to find any occurrences. KevinShort's Image also has text from a book in it...which I found odd....
I have no idea what to make of all this, but ya...thats what I did & found.

Update: I also checked backup image from before I imaged over KevinShort's recovery and my SN appears 15 times in the image... weird... I also checked the image of the recovery partition I made, no SN at all that I could locate using a binary hex editor....

Last edited by freekobo; 01-16-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #26
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Yes I checked, its my SN...and the part after the first occurrence (the manufacturer date i think?) is different.

I made an image of the second partition (recovery_fs) and then I applied the image over my broken second partition. I tried a recovery..it worked...and then it updated, I checked the SN again, its the same as it was when I got it.
So to keep a backup, we would only need an image of the second partition?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #27
freekobo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
So to keep a backup, we would only need an image of the second partition?
No, as I don't think the serial number is stored there at all....I think its on the first partition or the master boot record somewhere...safest thing for a backup is to image the whole sd card.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #28
freekobo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylv1 View Post
I suspect that the recoveryfs partition is just copied on the rootfs partition when applying a factory reset.
I think it does more than that... it must have a recovery script like format the first and 3rd partitions....then restore, and reflash uboot..etc.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #29
Cylv1

Quote:
So PeterT is right, "the serial #'s are NOT loaded from the recovery partition".

But, your experiment does not proove that SN is not read from the microSD card.

Have you tried to run your kobo using the spare sd card made from KevinShort's image ? I wonder what the serial number would be.

Quote:
I made a image of my sd..my SN has 4 occurrences...but on KevinShort's image I located the first one all 0's, the second one I found searching for 'deviceSerial' and located his SN, and then searched his image using his SN...it came up with 12 occurrences.
BUT I searched his SN in my image, and was unable to find any occurrences. KevinShort's Image also has text from a book in it...which I found odd....
I have no idea what to make of all this, but ya...thats what I did & found.
I tried to find the SN of my device in the image I made from the microSD card. I found 15 occurrences (in my previous post, I had found 2 occurrences starting with SN-###, where ### are the first 3 digits of my kobo's SN, this time I only looked for the actual number, without "SN-").
These occurrences are located at the following offsets (in hex this time):
-- 211D0063
-- 211F3000
-- 2120C000
-- 23BB5000
-- 29DE8000
-- 31FD1000
-- 338B3000
-- 39D8D000
-- 421E0000
-- 421EA000
-- 421F8000
-- 4220C000
-- 42BB1A03

I do not know anything about partitions tables and so on, but if the first and second partition sizes are both 256 MB, I expect the first 256 MB of the image file to belong to the first partition (rootfs) and the next 256 MB to belong to the second partition. In this case, everithing before the offset 1000000h would be expected to belong to rootfs, everything between 1000000h and 2000000h would belong to recoveryfs and everything after 2000000h would belong to KOBOeRedear fat32 partition.

Actually, there is no occurrence of the SN anywhere between 1000000h and 2000000h.

Moreover, I suspect the first partition not to start at offset 0.

I would then guess that :
  • The first occurrence of the serial number is the "original" serial number that is actually read by the device's OS to get the serial number.
  • Other occurrences of the SN are located somewhere in files stored on the KOBOeRedear fat32 partition (some system files, but also some book-related database)

I am not surprised that the KOBOeReader fat32 partition retains footprints of files related to books that may sometime have been stored there : as far as I remember deleting a file on a fat32 partition only removes informations about this file in the file allocation table but does not really delete the file (this is the principle that is used for recovering deleted files).

I would be curious to see what would be the SN of a device for which a factory reset would be made from an SD card where the first occurrence of the SN (the one that is located at 200h in the image file) would not be removed (or would be faked).
Old 01-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #30
Cylv1

Quote:
No, as I don't think the serial number is stored there at all....I think its on the first partition or the master boot record somewhere...safest thing for a backup is to image the whole sd card.
Would it be possible that the offset 200h (512d) is in the master boot record ?

gparted tells me that my microSD card starts with 9.50 MB of "unused" space (therefore, the 200h address is definitely not in the rootfs partition).