Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Robz26
Robz26 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
I will pay for a quick good conversion: PDF to Kindle, Buffett's Letters

I have a PDF of Warren Buffett's letters from 1957 onward. I would like to convert this to .MOBI or .AZW for my Kindle.

I can do a decent job myself, but I imagine an expert here can spend 5 minutes on it and and do an amazing job.

It's a 1051 page PDF file (~5 MB). The text is all digital and most margins and formatting are consistent.

Things that were hard for me:
- proper line/paragraph breaking
- maintaining the tables
- creating a table of contents with "1957 Letter", "1958 Letter" -- etc -- (they are mostly labeled as such, so a proper XPath expression should grab them)

Would any investor-friend be willing to do this gratis? Otherwise, how much would you like to be paid for the job?

Last edited by Robz26; 04-01-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Robz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
PDFs rarely convert well to other formats without a lot of hand editing after conversion. This is almost certainly NOT a "5 minute job" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:49 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
ditto what HarryT said

What model Kindle is it.

A quick search suggests everything except the Kindle 1 and the early Touch can read PDF native. And with the Touch the s/w can be updated (for free) to a later version which provides PDF support.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:56 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kindle Touch has always supported PDF. What you may perhaps be thinking of is that the original Touch firmware didn't support landscape mode, which can make reading PDFs easier.

But few PDFs formatted for large page sizes can be read well on a 6" screen; PDF was never intended to be an ebook format.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Robz26
Robz26 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Well how about close enough? Also, I'm more than willing to pay more $$$ if the job is tough. Anyone want to at least see the PDF and try?
Robz26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
bradbolt
bradbolt began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
delete

Last edited by bradbolt; 01-07-2013 at 08:13 PM.
bradbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:59 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robz26 View Post
Well how about close enough? Also, I'm more than willing to pay more $$$ if the job is tough. Anyone want to at least see the PDF and try?
Robz, forgive me for saying so, but you're beating a dead horse here. I would hazard a guess that you're probably looking at 10-20h work for the job you're asking for. For a reasonably skilled person, you should expect to pay $50 per hour. Are you really willing to spend $500-$1000 for the job?

Perhaps a better choice would just be to go out and buy a proper ebook version of Mr Buffer's letters? Doesn't wherever you bought this PDF from offer the book in ePub or Mobi formats?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Robz, forgive me for saying so, but you're beating a dead horse here. I would hazard a guess that you're probably looking at 10-20h work for the job you're asking for. For a reasonably skilled person, you should expect to pay $50 per hour. Are you really willing to spend $500-$1000 for the job?

Perhaps a better choice would just be to go out and buy a proper ebook version of Mr Buffer's letters? Doesn't wherever you bought this PDF from offer the book in ePub or Mobi formats?
If Robz is referring to the Letter to Shareholders that Berkshire Hathaway publish annually - then the letters between 1977 & 2011 are in the public domain http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/letters.html. Before that there were Letters to Partners, these are also in the public domain - the early ones are scanned paper image PDF's.

Maybe someone has gathered them all up onto a single PDF, but I can't find it, so it must have been published privately.

Rather than incurring a $1000 expense for the conversion, I suggest Rob invest in something suitable for reading the PDF, such as $539 64GB Ipad Mini. But first check if the PDF is reflowable - most are these days.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no quick conversion from PDF if you want to do it right?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:59 AM   #10
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Robz, forgive me for saying so, but you're beating a dead horse here.
+1
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote