Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
vinayaksanga
vinayaksanga began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
How to create regional language (Kannada) epubs ?

HI,

Kindly request you guys to help me in creating regional language kannada epubs. if any1 knows , let me know.
vinayaksanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Languages used in India are usually not well supported on ePub readers. In particular, the display of vowel signs causes problems.
Generally speaking, the following approach should theoretically work:

1. Convert your source text to Unicode text or html files.
2. Create a new ePub with Sigl, add your source files to the project and format them or convert your source files with Calibre.
3. If the iPad fonts don't support Kannada, also embed a free Kannada font in your ePub.
4. Test your ePub on your device. Make sure that all vowel signs are correctly rendered.

I created a quick and dirty Kannada epub from a random newspaper article. If it displays fine on your iPad, you can use it as a template; if it doesn't, the iPad most llikely doesn't support Kannada in ePubs.
Attached Files
File Type: epub kannada_test.epub (79.2 KB, 513 views)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
vinayaksanga

Thumbs up Thanks But..!!

Are unicode related to fontfamily?? Because when we tried with font family that provided by you it doesnt supported.

and when we use other font family it opened but not supporting in iPad,

could u just temme what all fonts of kannada are embedded in iBook?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayaksanga View Post
Are unicode related to fontfamily??
Valid ePubs need to contain utf-8 Unicode files and will of course only work with Unicode compatible fonts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayaksanga View Post
Because when we tried with font family that provided by you it doesnt supported.
Most likely the iPad iBooks app didn't use the embedded font at all, because, AFAIK, iBooks ePubs require an additional com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml file that'll force iBooks to use the embedded font, which I didn't include in my test ePub.
For more information see this article.

As for your other questions, I cannot answer them, because I don't have an iPad and you didn't provide enough technical details.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:34 AM   #5
vinayaksanga

Thumbs up

for the reference thread we created epub but still facing view in iPad, created epub is able to open in other reader except iPad, We tried with additional xml file integrating into META-INF, still zero result.

and unicode conversion barely happening for tagging in Sigil or Notepad++, as Embedded font in pdf's are old one (i guess and not sure).

I've attached the sample pdf. The converted epub open in ipad or kindle(except kf hd or kf8).

Happy New year
Attached Files
File Type: pdf test.pdf (201.2 KB, 332 views)