Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #22456
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
It is every man's god given right to buy and [attempt to] play the guitar. After a few sessions [and doggie howls] it can go to the attic.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #22457
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I think it is sweet. He wants to play for Lucas.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:01 AM   #22458
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
After dinner with a cup of hot water.... I'm still amazed at how pleasant a drink it is. I scoffed at my colleague who used to drink it daily, and all she ever said was "just try it once and you'll understand." I held off for most of the school year, until one day I figured what the heck... Now, I have it every so often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Yamaha of some sort. Acostic. He has never played before. His first attempt scared the dogs
Felicity will not stay in the same room with me when I play. As soon as I pick up the guitar, she makes a mad dash out of the living room. She doesn't go far... Perhaps only 6-10 feet... just to the other side of the double-door threshold, and lays down there, watching me. At first I thought it might be some high frequency overtones that bothered her, but she doesn't go far enough away for that to be the case. And she has no problem laying down next to the guitar when I'm not playing it, so she's not afraid of the instrument itself. It's only when I pick it up that she runs... Very weird!

Quote:
I think it is sweet. He wants to play for Lucas.
I used to love to play for my son when he was a baby. These days he's a better musician than I am, and plays evenings in a good blues band.

Please give your husband the following advice. It's what I used to tell my university 'new' guitar students:
Starting to play the guitar is painful. It will really hurt the fingers of your left hand. In the beginning, they will hurt after just 3-4 minutes of playing. So stop. Put the guitar down. Pick it up again in an hour or so and play for another 3-4 minutes ONLY. Then stop and put the guitar down. If you are watching TV, keep the guitar next to you. When the commercial comes on, play for 2-3 minutes then put it down and watch TV. At the next commercial, play again for 2-3 minutes. Within two weeks you'll be able to play for 10-15 minutes before your fingers start to hurt. When they do, put the guitar down. After 2 months you will be able to play for an hour or two with no problem at all. If you try to force yourself to play through the pain, you will stop playing completely after the 4th day.... Good luck. It's a great comfort to be able to speak through music. (And it wouldn't hurt to take a couple of lessons in the beginning, just to be sure that you don't develop some bad habits that prevent you from improving later on. Even 2-3 lessons can make or break the deal.)

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #22459
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll pass that on.

Bancha in one mug, oatmeal in the other, and a napping Lucas in his crib.

So last night didn't totally suck. It took 40 minutes around 7 PM. He woke up at 1:30 for his bottle, two hours later than he normally does. I feed him and put him in his crib. 20 minutes later with some gentle patting and soothing "its time to sleep" he fell asleep in his crib. He woke up at 5, for his morning feeding, right on schedule. I got to play with him since I don't work on Saturday. He started rubbing his eyes and yawning at 6:30. I put him in his crib and he feel asleep in his crib at 6:50.

We are using the pick up/put down method. When he cries you pick him up and calm him. As soon as he is calm you put him down. You do not pick him up if he is crying but moving around because he is trying to find a sleeping position. You pat his back. I patted his back when he was gently crying and stopped as soon as he did.

I couldn't do cry it out. I just don't think it is right to let him cry like that. This way he knows that we are there to help him but there is opportunity for him to learn how to settle himself. Hopefully the rest of todays naps go as well as this one and tonight goes well.

He is such a good little guy. He has a great disposition and is so much fun. Adding in sleeping well and I will be one over joyed Mommy.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #22460
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Good morning, everyone! It appears the Mayans were wrong. It's the 8th and the world didn't end yesterday. In fact, it got better! This morning my scale read 84.7! I hate to admit it, but hard work really does pay off.
I though the Mayans said the 21st Dec? Or someone has interprested as then...

Well done on the weight loss. Since starting my 5:2 fasting regime I have lost about 1 pound!!! It's supposed to be good for other factors and reduce the chances of heart disease, cancer etc., but a little extra weight loss on top wouldn't hurt. Would it? Might have to start dieting on my non-fast days. Ouch.

Black coffee in my cup.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #22461
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
He has a great disposition and is so much fun.
... until he learns to crawl.
Did you know that almost as soon as they learn how, babies can craw faster than a cheetah on the hunt, just not as long. Have you been practicing 'speed sprints' at the gym? Going from a sitting position with a book in your lap to 60mph in half the distance of your living room? But don't worry. That only lasts until he's old enough to walk... run... chase the cat... chase the dog... They know... They are ready... Can I interest you in some new sneakers?

Stitchawl
Old 12-08-2012, 07:48 AM   #22462
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

I bought a great pair of purple New Balances and have been going to the gym 3-5 times a week. The house is a disaster right now because we are rearranging for the Christmas tree. Once the tree is down we are turning that area into a Lucas play area. We are going to put he foam mats there and the outdoor baby gate system. He will have a dedicated play area where we hang out. I know there is going to be a lot of sprinting and chasing.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:27 AM   #22463
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post

Correct, but its really +/- like 60 days because of issues with the date conversion. So even if the 21st flys by... we are not out of the water till some time February.

VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #22464
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Correct, but its really +/- like 60 days because of issues with the date conversion. So even if the 21st flys by... we are not out of the water till some time February.

Oh no! That means we're still going to be hearing about it for months .

More black coffee to warm my cockles. Just had to turn the central heating on. And have a chocolate chip cookie.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #22465
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
What do I know? Do I look Mayan? How many Mayans do you know who grew up in New York City and were Bar Mitzvahed?

Quote:
Well done on the weight loss. Since starting my 5:2 fasting regime I have lost about 1 pound!!! It's supposed to be good for other factors and reduce the chances of heart disease, cancer etc., but a little extra weight loss on top wouldn't hurt. Would it? Might have to start dieting on my non-fast days. Ouch.
You might want to consider moving off the couch once in a while too... Just a thought. Remarkable how that seems to effect weight loss. No need to go to the gym. Walking around the block works too, as does giving up on elevators and escalators. Cutting back on the food intake obviously will not put on more, but there needs to be something more to remove what's already there.

Stitchawl
Old 12-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #22466
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
You might want to consider moving off the couch once in a while too... Just a thought. Remarkable how that seems to effect weight loss. No need to go to the gym. Walking around the block works too, as does giving up on elevators and escalators. Cutting back on the food intake obviously will not put on more, but there needs to be something more to remove what's already there.
You have a valid point.... I guess you don't accept excuses? That I am doing 3 full-time roles at work, have 3 school-going kids and a wife that works weekends, and that I'm selling about 10 items a day on Amazon that need wrapping and posting. And that I spend far too much time here?

No. Didn't think so .
Old 12-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #22467
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh no! That means we're still going to be hearing about it for months .

Probably not.. the 21st is burned in to public consciousnesses so once that passes it will be done with. Wonder who will make the next end of the world prediction?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #22468
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Wonder who will make the next end of the world prediction?
Why not make a prediction over who will make the next prediction?
Old 12-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #22469
VydorScope
Wizard

The fun part about the 21st prediction is that the MAYANS do not think the world will end on that date. The calendar does NOT end on that date, its is just the end of what they call the "long cycle" and then their calendar resets. It is not that different then the Dec 31st/Jan 1 date roll over that the western calendar does every year...

But never let facts get in the way of a good end of the world party I say!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #22470
Stitchawl
Opsimath

The eastern world, it is exploding
Violence flarin’, bullets loadin’
You’re old enough to kill, but not for votin’
You don’t believe in war, but what’s that gun you’re totin’
And even the Jordan River has bodies floatin’

But you tell me
Over and over and over again, my friend
Ah, you don’t believe
We’re on the eve
Of destruction.

( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_u6Mqsvw8k )

It's remarkable that a song written in 1965 can still be so topical today...

Good morning, everyone! Sunday best to you all. I have East India Company's "Assam" tea to drink this morning, and a bowl of 'something' my wife made last night for dinner... sort of a pumpkin/onion/shitake mushroom and chicken stew. Pretty tasty, actually. It's a popular winter dish in Japan, and it certainly is winter. I'm sitting here wearing a hat and fingerless gloves... 3° outside and feels almost the same inside...

Quote:
You have a valid point.... I guess you don't accept excuses?
"I" accept them. Do 'you' accept them?
If it were me, I'd want to stop having to fast every other day as quickly as possible.

Quote:
Wonder who will make the next end of the world prediction?
What folks don't seem to understand it that the world already ended. This is just the wind-down now.
The American Indians call it 'Koyaanisqatsi,' (which was a great movie, by the way) or Life out of Balance. The Hindus believe we are in 'Kali Yuga.' Same idea. Me? I say 'take a look around you.' The whole world is falling apart. Economically, emotionally, climatologically, militarily, legally... The Bible teaches us that God created the world in six days. Modern scholars understand this to mean six 'time periods,' not necessarily six 24-hour periods. What ever it was, it took 'time' to create. I think it's just taking that same time to finish...

... but there IS time for one more cup of tea.

Stitchawl

Tags
languages, tea enthusiasts, what is in your cup?