Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2011, 05:11 AM   #1
YvonneM
YvonneM has a spectacular aura aboutYvonneM has a spectacular aura aboutYvonneM has a spectacular aura aboutYvonneM has a spectacular aura aboutYvonneM has a spectacular aura aboutYvonneM has a spectacular aura aboutYvonneM has a spectacular aura aboutYvonneM has a spectacular aura aboutYvonneM has a spectacular aura aboutYvonneM has a spectacular aura aboutYvonneM has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo
Newbie here ... difficulty downloading books to kobo ereader

Hi - I've just joined and am hoping to find a solution to a problem I have been having downloading a book to my kobo ereader. I have had my ereader for about 12 months and have generally had no problems in purchasing and downloading books - I have only purchased books from the kobo website - never anywhere else. I noticed some time ago that there was an update with Kobo and when I clicked into my Kobo programme on my desktop, it looked very different to what it used to look - much more cumbersome to navigate and use.

Since that time I have had nothing but problems trying to download books. I can get them into my library and read them in my library, but they just will not load onto my ereader. When I click the "sync" button it says synching, and when I disconnect my ereader the ereader says that it is "processing new content", but the new book is just not there.

My computer will say that it's updating the kobo software and then everything just hangs and I have to Cntrl/Alt/Del to reset everything.

Has anyone else had a similar problem .... is there a Kobo problem and does anyone know if I am doing something wrong myself .... I've been trying for almost an hour this evening to download a book to my ereader and am just about ready to trash it and go back to "real" books!!

Many thanks in advance if anyone can give me a few pointers ... bearing in mind that I am absolutely useless when it comes to anything too techy .... with the old look of the Kobo desktop thingy before it changed, everything was so simple to use and navigate and I never had any problems downloading books.
YvonneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Sounds like the problem is with the Kobo Desktop software on your PC, rather than the Kobo.

You could try installing Adobe Digital Editions and using that to transfer ebooks on that way. However that will not help you transfer books you have in the Kobo Desktop program.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
You could try to uninstall the Desktop Application, download the current version, and then re-install it. Here is the web address for the download.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
What antivirus software are you running? PCTools used to cause a hang/crash issue for me and the desktop software when I was running it.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
TONTO
TONTO has a spectacular aura aboutTONTO has a spectacular aura aboutTONTO has a spectacular aura aboutTONTO has a spectacular aura aboutTONTO has a spectacular aura aboutTONTO has a spectacular aura aboutTONTO has a spectacular aura aboutTONTO has a spectacular aura aboutTONTO has a spectacular aura aboutTONTO has a spectacular aura aboutTONTO has a spectacular aura about

Device: wi-fi ereader-model N6478
Unhappy CUSTOMER SERVICE

Yvonne M
I`ve had no problems until recently when I purchased a `book` which will not `open` on the ereader. It will show book title on the screen (top) & page 1 of 1 at the bottom. Page turn similar thing. Contacted customer service who responded almost immediatly (Becky) with a solution, which I printed out - followed step by step - but still no corrective action - emailed back - received reply that the issue would be passed `up`. No reply to my request for a refund - I am also considering `dumping` my reader also - I`m like you - I do not want to fiddle around with my desktop etc. NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE !!What next?

Last edited by TONTO; 11-28-2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Location - UK
TONTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Well, to start... would you be willing to post the original solution from Becky? Might help us to offer advice. Knowing which e-book it is might also help.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
Vivienne04
Vivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
I seem to be having a similar problem - Today I've updated my Kobo Touch desktop (after being unable to download the newest update for months). All of the books that I've purchased in the intervening time have synced to my desktop but the "syncing your ereader" message and bar has been stuck on the first book for around 60 mins now. Anyone have any ideas?
Vivienne04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
junobeach
junobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo glo
Half the time I try to use Kobo desktop my HD just starts thrashing. Like I will click on a book in the store, and before it loads my whole HD starts churning. What is it possibly doing to make that happen. I have no idea
junobeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by YvonneM View Post
Hi - I've just joined and am hoping to find a solution to a problem I have been having downloading a book to my kobo ereader. I have had my ereader for about 12 months and have generally had no problems in purchasing and downloading books - I have only purchased books from the kobo website - never anywhere else. I noticed some time ago that there was an update with Kobo and when I clicked into my Kobo programme on my desktop, it looked very different to what it used to look - much more cumbersome to navigate and use.

Since that time I have had nothing but problems trying to download books. I can get them into my library and read them in my library, but they just will not load onto my ereader. When I click the "sync" button it says synching, and when I disconnect my ereader the ereader says that it is "processing new content", but the new book is just not there.

My computer will say that it's updating the kobo software and then everything just hangs and I have to Cntrl/Alt/Del to reset everything.

Has anyone else had a similar problem .... is there a Kobo problem and does anyone know if I am doing something wrong myself .... I've been trying for almost an hour this evening to download a book to my ereader and am just about ready to trash it and go back to "real" books!!

Many thanks in advance if anyone can give me a few pointers ... bearing in mind that I am absolutely useless when it comes to anything too techy .... with the old look of the Kobo desktop thingy before it changed, everything was so simple to use and navigate and I never had any problems downloading books.
Try using the Devices internal wifi to do a sync. Also you can delete the desktop software and reinstall it. There was an update to the desktop software so that has changed a wee bit. I was getting a long time in syncing (which resulted in me just exiting the software and never completeing) and when it updated that went away. So try that and see.

Good luck

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #10
Vivienne04
Vivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura aboutVivienne04 has a spectacular aura about

Just to let you all know that I contacted a Kobo technician via live chat that evening (as the "syncing ereader" message had been stuck on the first book for nearly 6 hours! We tried a factory reset via the touch screen, then via a paperclip, then via a paperclip plus holding the "home" button for 15 secs, then via a paperclip plus holding the "on" switch for 20 secs. Nothing.....so she escalated the problem to a "second tier". An hour or so later I received an email asking for various bits of information (name/address/where bought/when bought/model no. etc. two days later I received a second email advising me to go to the shop where bought from, to ask for a returns form so that Kobo can either repair or replace my ereader. The sales assistant also tried to sync but the same thing happened (and by the way, she told me that the paperclip ploy doesn't work with a Kobo Touch!). So I'm sending it back today aagghh!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #11
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Actually, the sales assistant was wrong. I've used a paperclip to reset my Touch about three times in the past year.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
Vivienne04

Well I received a brand new Kobo touch in the post today, to replace the one that wouldn't sync my books to the ereader. Unfortunately I now find that I'm unable to log into my account when I open up desktop. I get the log in screen, log in and then nothing happens. I have been trying for the past 8 hours.....