Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
Sara_J
Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Question How to do and structure the Appendix of a Kindle ebook?

Hiya!

I'm a bit confused as to how to structure and go about the appendix of my book, and I'd like to ask if you could please help me with some input.

I have been making a lot of tables because my book is about a science hobby that I have, and I have posted most tables where needed in the chapters, but I would like to also have the tables in the appendix for quick reference. I have decided to take snapshots of tables in Excel and then insert them as .jpeg files, and so far I have about 55 tables. I have called each table "Figure X" and I also have a few drawings that I too have given the generic "Figure" name. Thus, I so far have about 70 "Figures".

Questions I have:

1) Am I doing right in labelling the tables and drawings as figures? Should I instead label them as tables, illustrations, charts etc?

2) Shall I just put the figures into the appendix as per the numbering used in the book? E.g. Figure 4 is put as Figure 4 in the appendix too. Or do I use a different sort of numbering in the appendix?

3) The books I have seen as examples on how to do the appendix actually number the appendix with alphabetical letters and not numbers, how common is this and is it that correct way to number the appendix?

4) Is it Appendix or appendix? E.g. You can find this table in the Appendix too.

5) I have also read some people commenting that "Figure X" should be spelled as "figure X" (i.e. the "f" is not capitalized). E.g. as you can see in Figure 4, the parameters are...

6) Any other input on how to structure the Appendix please? I have hardly found anything providing fast and generic guidelines; I would appreciate if you knew of any and could tell me.

Thank you!!

Last edited by Sara_J; 11-19-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Sara_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
My opinions (worth what you are paying for them!):
1 - Figures, Tables, Illustrations, Charts - all are valid. Most important is to maintain consistency. You could caption all the table screenshots as tables, and caption everything else as figures. Whatever you feel is proper.
2. I would create the appendix with it's own numbering. I do this and let MS Word automatically create a List of Illustrations for easier navigation.
3. Numbering is again a personal choice. Check out other books that are in your niche and see if there are any "typical" formats.
4. I capitalize it as it refers to a major section of the book.
5. Capitalize the if in Figure.
6. See answers to 2 and 3.
Bob
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Sara_J
Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sara_J ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncowboy View Post
My opinions (worth what you are paying for them!):
1 - Figures, Tables, Illustrations, Charts - all are valid. Most important is to maintain consistency. You could caption all the table screenshots as tables, and caption everything else as figures. Whatever you feel is proper.
2. I would create the appendix with it's own numbering. I do this and let MS Word automatically create a List of Illustrations for easier navigation.
3. Numbering is again a personal choice. Check out other books that are in your niche and see if there are any "typical" formats.
4. I capitalize it as it refers to a major section of the book.
5. Capitalize the if in Figure.
6. See answers to 2 and 3.
Bob
Many thanks! Makes a lot of sense. Yes, I'm trying to emphasize consistency above all.

In the Appendix, I am thinking of labelling each table/drawing as Appendix I, Appendix II, Appendix III etc (using Roman numbers), but also leaving the actual numbering of the table/drawing as used in the book too e.g.

Appendix XI
Table 2

Appendix XII
Chart 4

Would this be correct?

And lastly, is really the Appendix the right place to put all the tables/drawings that I have already used in the book's content? I'm asking because I seem to read that the Appendix should be for supplemental stuff (i.e. stuff that hasn't been used in the book, only referenced). Would Annex be more appropriate for my case?

Thanks again!
Old 11-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sara_J:
You bring up a good point. If you are using Word, and generate a linked Table of Illustrations, I would not list them again in an Appendix. You can place the Table of Illustrations just after the Table of Contents. This would serve the dual purpose of listing all the illustrations in one location and providing a link from the list to those illustrations. And you don't have to include any material twice.
Bob
Old 11-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Sara_J

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncowboy View Post
Sara_J:
You bring up a good point. If you are using Word, and generate a linked Table of Illustrations, I would not list them again in an Appendix. You can place the Table of Illustrations just after the Table of Contents. This would serve the dual purpose of listing all the illustrations in one location and providing a link from the list to those illustrations. And you don't have to include any material twice.
Bob
Excellent! Many thanks Bob.

So the table of illustrations would go after the Table of Contents right? And it'd link to each of the tables in the book?

Sorry for asking so much, but I tried searching in Google and can't find a solid guide to structure the appendix.

Thanks again.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
mncowboy
Wanderer

Sara_J:
Yes, the Table of Illustrations would directly follow the Table of Contents.
Just like the Table of Contents, you would link the list to each of the tables or illustrations.
Bob