Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Should this area be renamed?

With the retirement of the Vox, and the release (today?) of the Kobo Arc, should this sub-area of the Kobo forums be renamed something along the lines of "Kobo Vox/Arc" or "Kobo Tablets"? Who/how would I make that suggestion? I'm never sure if Arc-related discussion is better here or in the general Kobo forum.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
Anjohl
Zealot
Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anjohl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Wow, they retired the Vox? If I had bought a Vox, and was not able to return it, I would be quite mad that Kobo did not offer a trade-up program towards the Arc. It seems to me that the Vox was either a paid beta, or a simple quick-cash scheme engineered to cash in on beating the Fire to the Canadian market.

I wonder if pumping up the share price for the sale to the Japanese company played into it as well. Either way, I am sure the Arc is infinitely better than the Vox, but personally, I would not trust Kobo with my money again.
Anjohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
With the retirement of the Vox, and the release (today?) of the Kobo Arc, should this sub-area of the Kobo forums be renamed something along the lines of "Kobo Vox/Arc" or "Kobo Tablets"? Who/how would I make that suggestion? I'm never sure if Arc-related discussion is better here or in the general Kobo forum.
It was brought up in this thread in the Feedback Forum. You might want to add your voice to the discussion (and "bump" it )
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjohl View Post
Wow, they retired the Vox? If I had bought a Vox, and was not able to return it, I would be quite mad that Kobo did not offer a trade-up program towards the Arc.
Has any e-reader manufacturer ever offered a trade up programme to a new model in the history of this industry? Sony? Amazon? Nook? Anyone?

Quote:
It seems to me that the Vox was either a paid beta, or a simple quick-cash scheme engineered to cash in on beating the Fire to the Canadian market.
And here I was thinking that the Vox was a $199.99 Android tablet marketed to e-reader aficionados.

Quote:
I wonder if pumping up the share price for the sale to the Japanese company played into it as well.
There was no share price to pump up as Kobo has never been a publically-traded company, it's privately held. There's no market to set a share price to.

With one of their competitors (Nook) and another of their competitors (Amazon) offering similar tablet-based e-readers, I expect that's what played prominently into the decision to release the Vox.

Quote:
Either way, I am sure the Arc is infinitely better than the Vox, but personally, I would not trust Kobo with my money again.
Wait... what?

The original Kindle Fire was retired after less than a year, should all the original Kindle Fire owners be pissed and refuse to shop with Amazon again because they released a new model 10 months later? This kind of thing happens every day in the tech industry.

Kobo still supports the Vox, just like they support all their e-readers. I bought a used unit of the original, original, original Kobo (the one that didn't even have Wifi) and couldn't update it to the latest firmware via my computer, so Kobo mailed me an SD card with the installer for the latest firmware. All at their expense. Now that's what I call support! Kobo supports their hardware, and well, in my experience with them. Your criticism seems baseless.

Kobo outsourced the development of the Vox. The result was less than perfect, but the result was as advertised so I don't see an avenue for criticism there. I think the Arc will be a better product in part because it was developed in house rather than outsourced, but I don't see any legitimate criticism of Kobo in your post.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Renamed this section to Kobo Tablets and added the prefixes of "Arc" and "Vox".
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
scrapking
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Renamed this section to Kobo Tablets and added the prefixes of "Arc" and "Vox".
Thanks so much!