Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think an iPad Mini will ship this year?
I believe it is for real, and I want one 32 35.16%
I believe it is for real, not interested in one 45 49.45%
I don't think it is coming soon, but I'm interested 6 6.59%
I don't think it is coming soon, not interested 6 6.59%
I will only get one if it blends 2 2.20%
Other (explain in post) 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #91
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Yes, the GT 7.7 is a much better direct comparison to the iPad mini. Thanks for sharing.
I've changed my comment about width: I've noticed that due to the narrower bezel the iPad is only a whisker wider than the Tab 7.7.

What I find interesting about this comparison is that the prices are quite close. It suggests that with this build quality Apple could perhaps have brought the 16 GB wifi mini in at $299, but maybe not way down nearer the 7" devices. The screen is presumably one of the costlier components, and the metal body I suppose is more expensive than plastic.

Edit: I've also moved the price to be a winner for the iPad mini as further investigation shows that you need to shop around to get the Tab for £259 in the UK, and currently the main stores have it as significantly more expensive than the iPad mini.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 10-24-2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: more research on Tab 7.7 price in the UK.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #92
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I think the 7" is the cheapest screen out there due to its use in photo frames and a wide variety of products including DVD players as well as a myriad of tablets and eBook readers. The Apple screen is likely much more expensive. This price point really does indicate that the Apple isn't just gouging people on the price.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #93
Casey57
Connoisseur
Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3/Kindle Fire/Kindle Touch/iPhone/iPod/iPad
I am interested in it for travel; I think it would be easier to carry. I am still mulling it over.
Casey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #94
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I think the 7" is the cheapest screen out there due to its use in photo frames and a wide variety of products including DVD players as well as a myriad of tablets and eBook readers. The Apple screen is likely much more expensive. This price point really does indicate that the Apple isn't just gouging people on the price.

Dale
Well, given that the Kindle HD 9" and especially the Nook HD+ have bigger screens and much higher resolutions, at lower price points, your point is simply wrong.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #95
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I would say almost a full inch larger and a 3:4 ratio is a real plus for eBook reading although the small display may fit in a pocket or purse easier. The length, by the way, is likely very similar. The cameras on the iPad are certainly better. An an upgradeable OS is a plus as is the number of apps. 16GB is way better these days and battery life is important. I am not so sure the GT is automatically the winner in this comparison. I do like the GT GPS feature.

Dale
It's definitely subjective, depending on your needs.

I prefer 16:9, since watching videos is a very high priority. I have a Kindle 4 for books. Size and weight are irrelevant factors for me, since all of these tablets are generally in the same ballpark.

As to the OS, the SGT 2 will be getting Jelly Bean, but Apple does beat it in that it pushes updates immediately; whereas Samsung takes a bit of time. Nexus devices would be equal to Apple devices.

8GB and a mSD card slot trump 16GB and no card slot any day.

I gave it to the SGT because of the RAM, mSD, GPS and price.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #96
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I'd say a better comparison would be with the Galaxy Tab 7.7"...
Quote:
Yes, the GT 7.7 is a much better direct comparison to the iPad mini. Thanks for sharing.
I used the SGT 2 because their processors and resolution were roughly equal.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #97
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Well, given that the Kindle HD 9" and especially the Nook HD+ have bigger screens and much higher resolutions, at lower price points, your point is simply wrong.
But Amazon doesn't make any money on their devices, so they say, so they shouldn't be included.

As Barnes & Noble only attempts to make money and has yet to figure out how, I don't know if I can accept that either.

On the other hand, I'm feeling uncharacteristically giddy, so it might just be the chocolate talking.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #98
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
But Amazon doesn't make any money on their devices, so they say, so they shouldn't be included.
I'm not sure that's a valid argument.

Both Amazon and Apple purport to have a wide ecosystem of books, movies, music and apps available from their devices.

The fact that Amazon choose to make their profit purely from the content doesn't alter the fact that from the consumer's point of view their devices are cheaper.

But, yes, this may well be the key difference, as demonstrated by the iPad mini beating the Samsung 7.7 on price (where although the 7.7 has better specs overall they have very similar screen sizes, batteries and build quality).

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #99
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post

As Barnes & Noble only attempts to make money and has yet to figure out how, I don't know if I can accept that either.

On the other hand, I'm feeling uncharacteristically giddy, so it might just be the chocolate talking.
The bottom line is that a consumer can pick a 7.9" 1024x768, 512MB RAM at $329 (mini) or a 9" 1920x1280 1GB RAM and SD expansion at $269 (Nook HD+). Apple like to play the numbers games (at least when it's in their favour), so what about
  • Nook has twice the RAM
  • Nook has 25% more surface area
  • Nook has 312% more pixels
  • Nook has 57% more pixels per inch
  • Nook has SD expansion
  • Nook comes at 81% of the cost of the mini

Last edited by afv011; 10-24-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #100
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
The bottom line is that a consumer can pick a 7.9" 1024x768, 512MB RAM at $329 (mini) or a 9" 1920x1280 1GB RAM and SD expansion at $269 (Nook HD+). Apple like to play the numbers games (at least when it's in their favour), so what about
  • Nook has twice the RAM
  • Nook has SD expansion
I think a Nook HD comparison is more relevant, and makes your point equally well. Put another way, if someone shipped an Android tablet with iPad mini's specs, they might be able to ask $160 for it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #101
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
  • Nook has twice the RAM
  • Nook has SD expansion
Well put
Old 10-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #102
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
There have been several people from the UK involved in these comparisons, and so far neither the Fire 8.9 nor the Nook HD+ have been released here, so the available comparisons are iPad Mini, Fire HD, Nexus 7 and whatever Samsung have released in the last month or so.
If the Nook HD+ comes out as suggested for less than 300 pounds, it will be well worth considering, but if it is locked to just B&N's app store, that makes it much less appealing than the others.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #103
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Put another way, if someone shipped an Android tablet with iPad mini's specs, they might be able to ask $160 for it.
That would be the Kindle Fire 2
Old 10-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #104
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That would be the Kindle Fire 2
I consider the Fire HD specs much better than the iPad mini. The original Fire is a close match!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #105
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Well put
And I forgot to mention that the Kindle and Nook 7" can play 720p native and their big brothers, 9", can play 1080p native. The mini, on the other hand, has to scale down 720p and then letterbox it.