Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 01:53 PM   #46
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny1 View Post
Anyone knows where to buy this in germany (or europe) ?
Looks like Waterstones will have it in a month or so...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #47
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
An elegant book-light

I’m not a very good photographer, but these pictures give you a general idea how it does in the dark. The photos on the box it came in show the book light in low light, not in the dark, and the screen on my 505 isn’t as bright as the picture on the box even with the light set to the highest intensity. It does make the 505 much easier to read than any book light I’ve found. In fact, it makes the PRS505 much easier to read in the dark than any pBook/book-light combination I’ve ever found.

It's actually easier to read in the dark than my attached picture suggests.

Many thanks to DaleDE for leading the charge for lighted screens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PRSA-CL1.JPG
Views:	855
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	14850   Click image for larger version

Name:	PRSA-CL1 lighted.JPG
Views:	1142
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	14851  
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #48
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Does the apparent glare around the rim show in real life?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #49
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Does the apparent glare around the rim show in real life?
It does, but it's not as pronounced as it appears in this photo. It just makes a kind of halo around the book. To me--subjective though it is--the PRS is actually very pretty in the dark with this book-light turned on.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #50
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
It does, but it's not as pronounced as it appears in this photo. It just makes a kind of halo around the book. To me--subjective though it is--the PRS is actually very pretty in the dark with this book-light turned on.
I was just wondering if the glare would make it harder to read the page. Some opaque tape could help with that, if so. But I could easily accept that the glare effect is stronger in the photo than it would be in actuality.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:04 PM   #51
SactownGuy
SactownGuy doesn't litterSactownGuy doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Here's a reivew I found...

http://www.bigdogsplanet.com/2008/08...r-digital.html

This person didn't seem to think it was bright enough...
SactownGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #52
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
OK, I broke down and ordered one.(Even though I like my 3-LED Z-light, which is compact and works well for me.) It looks to be a solid product. Ironically, it cost me more than my brand-new 500 did!

BTW, the Sonystyle site is having free shipping on all orders for another week or so.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:02 PM   #53
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
I just got mine today and plan to use NiHM batteries. I'll let you know how it looks.

-Greg
It works great with NiHM batteries. I just did a quick test since I am going to use the batteries that came with the light until they are used up but the brightness looked the same to me.

-Greg
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #54
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactownGuy View Post
http://www.bigdogsplanet.com/2008/08...r-digital.html

This person didn't seem to think it was bright enough...
I totally disagree. I find the brightness to be just fine. I read comfortably in complete darkness and loose myself in the book in no time. It may not be as good as sitting outside on a sunny day but it blows away the experience of reading with a clip on light or a headlamp.

-Greg
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 03:39 PM   #55
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
It works great with NiHM batteries. I just did a quick test since I am going to use the batteries that came with the light until they are used up but the brightness looked the same to me.

-Greg
The SonyStyle site was also suggesting rechargeables as an accessory for this cover, so I'm sure they're fine.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:53 AM   #56
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Anyone of you guys who bought this had the Zelco Max.5 before? How do they compare in terms of light distribution?

I have tried quite a few book lights (like many of you have, I'm sure) and I found that I totally hated the Verilux lights lots of people swear by, but I loved the modern nichia LED in the Max.5 which gives a perfect light distribution if I aim the spot at the PRS-505 label in the bottom of the reader. Also, two AA batteries give the Max.5 longer life-time than any other book light I've tried, most of which use lesser MAh AAA batteries.

So if anyone's light of choice was the Max.5 and you bought this new cover/light combo from Sony -- what are your impressions?

thanks in advance!
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #57
dai3yuen
dai3yuen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Well, thanks to this forum, I've been an owner of the 505 for a month now and I just picked up this handy light. I've been looking at lights as my wife has been complaining about me reading in the dark!!!

Anyways, I passed by a Sony Store a week ago and they didn't have the light yet, but just got back from the mall and i managed to pick one up. Price was CDN$59.99 and the cover is actually black, not blue!

Will try this out later tonight but so far, I'm very happy with this purchase!!
dai3yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #58
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
I bought my cover with light today. Love it!! although it does add to the weight of the unit. Bought my cover downtown Vancouver in Pacific Center and it's definitely dark blue.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #59
DrMoze
Booknut

Just got my cover/light and it is a very well-made accessory. The cover is similar to the stock 505 cover, and is about 1/2" wider. The lighting works great, with a few shadowy striations on the leftmost third of the screen. The rightmost 2/3 is very uniformly lit. It is still very easy to read in the dark and the lighting is not noticeable once you get into a book.

I thought the light cover would be heavier and bulkier than it actually is. It's a little bit thicker/wider/heavier than the stock cover, but still overall light and handy.

It is best to read right through the clear lighting plate in normal light (power switch off), which doesn't affect clarity at all. The front cover folds behind for easy one-handed reading. The entire lighting unit is removable, as shown earlier, and snaps in/out just like the 505 does on the stock cover. Without the light, the new cover is very similar to the stock one (a little bit wider, barely thicker at the hinge, and not noticeably heavier). So, it's easy to just leave the 505 in this cover, and remove the light assembly if you aren't using it for a while.

Some of the halo around the edges is generated by a small lip around the sides of the clear lighting panel, which allows the panel to fit in flush over the screen. It's not a problem while reading. I am a bit concerned about scratching the plastic panel. I hope they sell replacement panels if it tends to get scratched.

Overall, I'm very happy with it. This lighted cover appears to be very well-made and well-designed! (So now, the gf gets my 3-LEDZ-light for her 500! )
Old 08-07-2008, 04:17 PM   #60
DrMoze
Booknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Do I understand it right, that the light screen is always on top of eInk. Even if you read at day time?
In case you missed my comments buried above, you can flip the clear panel to the left. But it is invisible when reading through it in normal light, and it needs to be over the Reader screen if you fold the top cover behind for one-handed reading.

Tags
duck!