Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
Indigo55
Indigo55 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Calibre-parallel.exe

Hi,
When I try to open a certain MOBI ebook on Calibre, the program stops responding and freezes on the message "Loading Flow". Windows gives an error message of "calibre-parallel.exe not responding". Can anyone help? Running Calibre 0.9.1 on Windows 7

Maria
Indigo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo55 View Post
Hi,
When I try to open a certain MOBI ebook on Calibre, the program stops responding and freezes on the message "Loading Flow". Windows gives an error message of "calibre-parallel.exe not responding". Can anyone help? Running Calibre 0.9.1 on Windows 7

Maria
the 'parallel' (processes) are the worker parts of calibre
Try and wait it out. It may be bogged down with a nightmare-ish coded book that take a huge crunch to make something (EPUB) of it.

BTW each process only uses 1 core, no matter how many you have, you can just run more, but not on the same job
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
the 'parallel' (processes) are the worker parts of calibre
Try and wait it out. It may be bogged down with a nightmare-ish coded book that take a huge crunch to make something (EPUB) of it.

BTW each process only uses 1 core, no matter how many you have, you can just run more, but not on the same job
@theducks - I've run into these long conversion times on several occasions, but I've not seen a "calibre-parallel.exe not responding" message as such - the child is usually chugging away doing whatever, whilst the parent is patiently waiting for the child.

@Indigo55 - were you able to open the MOBI prior to version 0.9.1, and what happens if you convert the book from MOBI to ePub.

my perception is that I get better performance from calibre 'jobs' since I set Preferences to :
Behavior->Job Priority = low
Miscellaneous->Max. simultaneous conversions = 1
Miscellaneous->Limit the max. simultaneous jobs to the available CPU cores = unchecked

The only rationale I can give is less resource contention - cache, disk etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert your MOBI to EPUB.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote