Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
GraciousMe
Zealot
GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question Replace with placeholder?

Is it possible in Sigil to replace the regular text with placeholder text?
GraciousMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
mncowboy
Wanderer
mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mncowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, PaperWhite 2
Please clarify the question - I'm not sure I understand.
Bob
mncowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
GraciousMe
Zealot
GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraciousMe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I mean that I want to show people the book and layout without actually sharing the content. Thus replacing the actual text with placeholder stuff.

Of course I could cut and paste, cut and paste, but I was looking for a possible shortcut.

Hope that was clearer.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You could do a single letter search and replace several times to jumble the text.

Scrambling vowels and major consonants should do the trick. Watch for case.

Or you could simply take some public domain text and put your CSS for the style sheet and that way they would see the layout without your text and import a few pictures for illustration.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
In the latest Sigil beta (and the one before it), there's a Lorem Ispum clip. However, I don't see how you would go about applying that in a way that preserves all of your style coding...
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
GraciousMe
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
You could do a single letter search and replace several times to jumble the text.

Scrambling vowels and major consonants should do the trick. Watch for case.

Or you could simply take some public domain text and put your CSS for the style sheet and that way they would see the layout without your text and import a few pictures for illustration.
Thanks, that was useful. An E for an I, etc.

Also taking a public domain text, yes. Good idea.

Who knows, it might turn into a better book that way...
Old 10-05-2012, 04:19 AM   #7
GraciousMe
Zealot

I suddenly realise that I don´t know how that public domain text could be used.

Of course I could apply my CSS to it but I still have chapters with very specific layout in the chapter itself. So I would need a handy way to replace my original with the PD text. Is there another way to do that than to cut and paste?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousMe View Post
So I would need a handy way to replace my original with the PD text. Is there another way to do that than to cut and paste?
You mean like a handy-dandy "Lorem Ipsumize My Pre-existing (x)HTML Document" button?

Sorry, no. I don't believe that there's anything out there that will replace all the text/code in your existing html layout/structure/page with surrogate Lorem Ipsum text/code.

But surely you don't need an entire novel Lorem Ipsumized to share/demonstrate layouts? And I wouldn't think the copy/paste work necessary to demonstrate how you would like to handle the "problem areas" of ebooks' formatting would be all that time consuming.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-05-2012 at 12:50 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
GraciousMe
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You mean like a hand-dandy "Lorem Ipsumize My Pre-existing (x)HTML Document" button?

Sorry, no. I don't believe that there's anything out there that will replace all the text/code in your existing html layout/structure/page with surrogate Lorem Ipsum text/code.
Now I know what to write to Santa about.

But this is no novel with words flowing in an even stream. Almost every chapter has special layout.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousMe View Post
Now I know what to write to Santa about.

But this is no novel with words flowing in an even stream. Almost every chapter has special layout.
ROT13 the Text
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If you are stuck on a special layout, you are likely to be disappointed if you start changing size on a real device or on one of the PC versions, like the Sony Reader Library. You need to check it out.

PDF may be the way to go if you must have a fixed layout. But it has its own problems. You may be able to work around these by limiting the amount of text per page and size of images so the page can be increased in size without everything going sideways.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:34 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Perform two regexp replaces: replace all consonants with "x", replace all vowels with "o".
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #13
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
To expand on that, here is one way to do this using a post by Timur to limit this to actual text without mangling all of your tags:

Find: (?si)[aeiou](?![^<>]*>)(?!.*<body[^>]*>)
Replace: a

Find: (?si)[bcdfghjklmnpqrstvwxyz](?![^<>]*>)(?!.*<body[^>]*>)
Replace: b

And in the beta you can put this in a group and run them both one after the other. Might add this as an example for amusement.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #14
GraciousMe
Zealot

Thanks guys. Please don´t overestimate me. I am a writer but no programmer.

I know basic HTML, learned some CSS when I started to work with Sigil but Regex? I saw an ad for it in the thread but apart from that, terra inkognita!

Can those operations that you mention be done from inside Sigil?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #15
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Yes. Open the Find & Replace Window (Ctrl-F). In the Find text box put the Find text above. In the Replace put the replace text. Select Regex, All HTML Files and then click Replace All. Then do the second Find/Replace statement above the same way. It might take a few minutes. Replaces are done in Code View, but you can switch back to Book View after its done to see the result. Of course, since you have already saved and made a backup of your book you won't loose anything. Just don't save it over your real book
meme is offline   Reply With Quote