Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #316
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
I have some light leak with mine (about a half inch on the left side), so I called them today and am getting another one sent.

My order started today as the 17th as the soonest. It just switched to shipping soon and will arrive on the 9th..
Did they upgrade you to a 3G model? They have done that in some cases, including mine, so they could get the replacements shipped sooner.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #317
LuvDrafts
LuvDrafts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
My replacement unit has shipped from NV and has an EDD of Oct 6. Hopefully better QC on this one. Since Amazon has what CS is calling a "Kindle Replacement Team" (per an email I received from CS) in place, I'm inclined to think there might be a whole lot more replacements being sent than I assumed. I agree with @Blossom that the QC on the PW must be really bad.
Replacement Oct 6th? And I ordered Sept 14th and my delivery is Oct 24th??! Not fair at all...

Replacement should get sent out when they have fulfilled back orders.
LuvDrafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #318
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Did they upgrade you to a 3G model? They have done that in some cases, including mine, so they could get the replacements shipped sooner.
no..

It looks like its the NSO version though.

If the light leak wasn't there I probably would of kept it. Aside from the light leak (a half inch white glow along the left side), the LEDs looked like one bulb was different..it shined more outward and reached into the letters, while the other bulbs were good and the cone of light ended before reaching them.

But that was only mildly noticeable, and only under certain conditions..

Hm, I wonder if there's a bad batch of the light defussion layer? Only speculation, don't know what I'm talking about regarding it.
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #319
SubElement
Connoisseur
SubElement began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle International
Expected shipping still Oct 16th with One Day shipping. Pretty annoyed seeing people with later shipping dates get theirs earlier...
SubElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #320
David58117
Groupie
David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David58117 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, K4NT (To Wife), Nook ST, NSTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post
Expected shipping still Oct 16th with One Day shipping. Pretty annoyed seeing people with later shipping dates get theirs earlier...
Same here.

What model did you order?

My original was SO, the replacement is NSO..
David58117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #321
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Within a few hours of receiving my Paperwhite, it is jailbroken and has hacks installed. The jailbreak for the K5 (touch) 5.1.x firmware works on the Paperwhite 5.2.0 firmware, as do some of the hacks (after repackaging for the PW). Thanks amazon!

So, how is this changing the PPW? What does it let you do? I know about hacks as I done this with previous kindles but these days not sure how it changes the features.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #322
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubElement View Post
Mine remains as 17th October. No change.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:27 AM   #323
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
So, how is this changing the PPW? What does it let you do? I know about hacks as I done this with previous kindles but these days not sure how it changes the features.
Jailbreak only adds a jailbreak key, so that you CAN install custom update packages that contain hacks and other unauthorized enhancements. I installed the USB networking package, which used that jailbreak key. I now have root shell access, which lets me do anything I want inside my kindle.

Other popular hacks (fonts, and more) will be repackaged so they can be installed using the "Update Your Kindle" menu item, which I used to install USBnetworking...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:19 AM   #324
SubElement
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by David58117 View Post
Same here.

What model did you order?

My original was SO, the replacement is NSO..
Paperwhite WiFi/3G NSO!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:41 AM   #325
SubElement
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Mine remains as 17th October. No change.
Stay strong brother, say strong...
Old 10-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #326
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Can I just say, someone on the German forum already received theirs yesterday through a mail forwarder in the US? It literally got shipped somehwere, then mailed again and crossed an ocean, customs, etc... WTH?!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #327
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The last stage of Smartpost is handled by USPS so if your Kindle shows it'll come with the rest of your mail (it won't be a FedEx delivery person).
Correct, I just saw that. My baby has been sitting around with USPS a mere 15 minutes from where I live since yesterday 9:44AM, and is still supposedly going to arrive tomorrow. I can't stop hoping it will be today.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #328
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Xendula you should receive it today, well based on my experience. I think I prefer fedex smart post because it doesn't take too long and transfering to usps means that it arrives in my mail box. Finally free of amazon prime, it is so good. With free super saver shipping the packaging is done well instead of poorly, and I still receive it in a reasonable time.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #329
wallflower75
Groupie
wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallflower75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/iPhone 6 Plus/iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
You wait for it?
Damn, I didn't even consider that.
I am stuck at work. Apparently, my PW is sitting on my porch. Thanks, UPS.
I know some people don't like how Smartpost is handled, but I haven't had a problem with them before. I prefer my local USPS mail carrier to the idiot who currently delivers my UPS packages, that's for sure, and the FedEx driver is even worse. They constantly leave my packages at the unprotected south door of my house, where they're vulnerable to the elements, instead of the north door which has a roof overhead. I have asked them multiple times to leave the package at the north door when I'm not home to get it. Do they listen? Noooo. At least the UPS driver gives me a minute to answer the door. FedEx knocks once, waits two seconds, then dumps the package--unless it has to be signed for. And we won't EVEN get into the disaster that was FedEx's mislabeling of one particular package which took me the better part of the day to track down when they delivered it to my neighbors by mistake.

The USPS guy? He always delivers to the north door.
wallflower75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #330
xendula
eBookworm

It's out for delivery! Yay!

My neighbor from across the street delivers for FedEx. Even when I had just moved in and had no clue who he was, he would sign for me and leave my package at the door. A bit weird, but it's so nice coming home to a package!!