Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #346
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I'm hoping my PW gets delayed long enough for the next production run to come in after the screen defects have been corrected.

Mine says "Shipping Soon" with an Oct 11 expected delivery date. This is one time I really hope it comes VERY LATE - preferably the end of November.

It should be noted that Adobe Photoshop Professional is probably used by every company these days.

I still remember the shorting problem with the first run of Kindle Kbd WiFi's and my suffering with that problem from Sep to Dec, 2010.

The poll being taken elsewhere in this Forum on screen problems still shows at least 75% have great screens. Hopefully, the odds will fall well for me.

The lack of replacement WiFi units in stock now may well indicate the problem has been discovered by Amazon and all undelivered WiFi units have been returned to the factories for re-processing.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-04-2012 at 05:53 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #347
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Got my PW yesterday and it has some of that same mottling. I like it. It reminds me of parchment rather than velum. Since this is the Internet, let me get there first: Kindle Parchmentwhite. I still like it.

Who was it that said the perfect is the enemy of the good. Since perfect doesn't exit I prefer to see the KPW for what it does have: a highly readable screen in any light and a really great source of content.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #348
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I love my Paperwhite. You guys are complaining about minor issues. That Baskerville font is gorgeous! This ereader is a tremendous improvement over the previous one. I think this is a case of having expectations that really couldn't be met. I really love how under light the led makes the screen look white but not glowy. It really does look like paper! I didn't even know if I would use the light and now I'm so impressed. If you notice the unevenness of the light... turn it down. That is all.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #349
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Thoughts after a few days:...

...I *can* say that as an "in the dark" reader, I do like reading the PW on a very low light setting in bed at night (with lights off). This has always been my holy grail for readers, so it wins on that score. The screen flaws are not apparent to me in that scenario.
How would you compare it to your 700? I sold my 700 a few weeks ago, but now I'm wondering if I should have. The 700 has its flaws, but in landscape mode, and in the dark, it was always one of my favs.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #350
ecksor
Enthusiast
ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'ecksor knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
If photo retouching in ads were illegal, the fashion/cosmetic industry would be out of business. What about the food.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hgrant/fast-...the-real-thing

I don't know if tech products are governed by stricter rules, but I've never seen a TV ad where the picture isn't perfect. Who knows if it's even a screenshot of the TV, or they just superimpose a picture over the set.
Please see this behind-the-scenes video at McDonalds photoshoot. High-profile product advertisement is not fake, the products just get presented in the most flattering way under ideal conditions. Post-processing is very limited and oftentimes included in a disclaimer to avoid class suites.
ecksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #351
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I love my Paperwhite. You guys are complaining about minor issues. That Baskerville font is gorgeous! This ereader is a tremendous improvement over the previous one. I think this is a case of having expectations that really couldn't be met. I really love how under light the led makes the screen look white but not glowy. It really does look like paper! I didn't even know if I would use the light and now I'm so impressed. If you notice the unevenness of the light... turn it down. That is all.
I think some issues are worse than others, and I certainly would not say that people here are complaining about minor issues. If there are darker spots as I have seen on some pics posted here, I can understand the complaints very well. If the light is unusable, the PW is not doing what it has been sold for.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #352
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Cover View

I saw this in another forum: if you go to parental controls and select no store access, then it doesn't show recommendations on 1st page of cover view.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #353
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Device: iPad, Nook, NC, NST, Kobo, Nook Glo, K4, KPW Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla View Post
I saw this in another forum: if you go to parental controls and select no store access, then it doesn't show recommendations on 1st page of cover view.
Perfect, works great..thanks!!
zwarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #354
Psykhe
Connoisseur
Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4, KindlePW
Quote:
Great tip, will definitely use that.
Psykhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #355
alaskazimm
alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alaskazimm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook Touch Glow; Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
This works! Homepage looks much better now
alaskazimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #356
timelysarcasm
Warrior Princess
timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.timelysarcasm shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I'm hoping my PW gets delayed long enough for the next production run to come in after the screen defects have been corrected.
You keep saying that, but I really doubt a week is going to be long enough to identify, correct, and then re-produce a whole new production run of Kindles. That typically takes months and months for this sort of product. Just hope you get one of the good ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
I love my Paperwhite. You guys are complaining about minor issues.
Well good for you, but considering the main function of the Kindle is reading, if reading is not pleasant it's not a "minor" issue. I can assure you the splotchy, bluish screen wasn't minor. Although it's good some people are getting better Paperwhites, it doesn't mean the rest of us are nuts. Hopefully the next version will have worked out the kinks. Perils of being an early adopter.
timelysarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #357
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
How would you compare it to your 700? I sold my 700 a few weeks ago, but now I'm wondering if I should have. The 700 has its flaws, but in landscape mode, and in the dark, it was always one of my favs.
Unfortunately it's been about a year since I eBay'd mine, but I can say I never had any problems or annoyances with the backlighting (and used the Sony almost exclusively in the dark) until I got some very large dust particles under the screen. That took a couple of years. In that time, it never occurred to me to look for another e-reader, and I never owned a Kindle until the Kindle 3. Since then I'd been struggling to find a good lighting solution that wasn't a $60 case, currently was using a Kandle that eats batteries and likes to slip off and spring itself across the room.

Overall, it seems I preferred my pre-dust PRS700 to my very-possibly-defective PW, because so far I've spent way more time on forums trying to figure out if my experience with this PW is 'normal' than I have actually reading books on it. I think my total number of posts here during my entire Palm Pilot/Sony/Kindle Keyboard era was 8.

If I can get a "good" PW (if mine is indeed bad), that would probably change. The PRS was also heavy and metallic, and not particularly pleasant to hold.

Quote:
You guys are complaining about minor issues.
No.

Yes, people do that on the Internet, especially with technology, this just doesn't happen to be one of those times. (I'm speaking specifically of cloudy/blotchy screens with differently-colored clouds or smudges, not the 'spotlight' effect of the LEDs.)

And as far as the "that's what you get for being an early adopter" argument goes (in general, not a specific poster), I don't know. I'm generally an enthusiastic early adopter for tech, especially things that appear to be groundbreaking and high-utility (such as the first-gen iPad and now the PW), and this is the first time I've even considered returning something this costly in the first 48 hours. Maybe I've just been lucky.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #358
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Just recieved PW and it is totally white on page.

I just received my PW NSO and it is totally white on the screen with fonts totally black. Contrast is perfect and there are no blotches anywhere that I can see.

It was delivered in a strange manner, however. My Order page still shows it as "Shipping Soon" with an Oct 11 delivery date. It was NOT on my "Manage Devices" page. The PW there did not show a serial number. At first CS told me I was not allowed to use it until Oct 11 but I appealed to the next level. Then the problem was resolved.

I registered it from the device and it still did not show on the "Manage Devices" page. I had to call CS and they added it on that page. Then it showed TWO PW's on that page: one without a serial number and the other with the correct serial number.

Its possible this unit is from a different run than the others described with problems here.

I deregistered the one without a serial number and the other shows correctly now.

Since many of you folks are having a screen problem, I'll post the first 8 digits of my serial number: B024 1501.

If you did have a screen problem, post your first 8 digits as well. Maybe the problem units all have the same first 8 digits which are different from mine.

This one looks like the Amazon advertised pictures: perfect white with full contrast fonts all uniform in thickness and darkness. I tried different eBooks and they all look good.

I did download the NET Bible with 75,000 notes and am letting it index overnight with my unit plugged into the power. That will use lots of power to index. I had it for my Kindle Kbd WiFi and it took lots of power there as well. That ebook used to be able to use Osnova verse locator as on my Kindle Kbd. That system does not work on the Kindle Fire. I use the Logos Bible Android app there.

I also downloaded just the 2 ebooks I am currently reading and 1 which my wife is reading.

I like the idea it measures my reading speed and calculates the time to finish the chapter and the book. The cover does control the closing and opening of the PW and starts exactly where I left off when I closed it. Syncrhonization seemed immediate with my Kindle Fire and Kindle Kbd. I did not have to press any Sync key to do it.

The only problem I had is that I had to create my collections from scratch. It did not seem to be able to import them from my Kindle Kbd WiFi.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-04-2012 at 10:12 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #359
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Glad you got a good one, sirmaru, and that you're happy with it. I'm happy with mine too and the first 8 digits of my serial number are the same as yours.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #360
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Unfortunately it's been about a year since I eBay'd mine, but I can say I never had any problems or annoyances with the backlighting (and used the Sony almost exclusively in the dark) until I got some very large dust particles under the screen. That took a couple of years. In that time, it never occurred to me to look for another e-reader, and I never owned a Kindle until the Kindle 3. Since then I'd been struggling to find a good lighting solution that wasn't a $60 case, currently was using a Kandle that eats batteries and likes to slip off and spring itself across the room.

Overall, it seems I preferred my pre-dust PRS700 to my very-possibly-defective PW, ...

If I can get a "good" PW (if mine is indeed bad), that would probably change. The PRS was also heavy and metallic, and not particularly pleasant to hold.
Well, I hope you just got a bad one, and the issue can be resolved with a replacement. I just assumed the PW had to be decent, since Sony came out with the PRS-700 eight years ago, so they've had plenty of time to get it right.

I always kept my 700 with the cover on, so it felt like a book when I was holding it. Even though it wasn't a great reader in the daytime, as a night time reader, I thought the color temp on the page was perfect. The page was dull, and the lights were almost blue, making the reading color temp look slightly warm, but very clear when reading in the dark. Like you, I do most of my reading in a dimly lit room in the evening.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote