Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 09-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
EcceGallo
EcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1 sony
Zooming a pdf

Hi, I'm a proud owner of PRS-T1.

Cropping PDF as been so far the best solution to read them, but I was wondering wheter we can do better.

Often, by cropping, the document doesn't fit the reader screen, leaving black band around content, and thus not using some available space to make the text larger.

Is there a way (via Acrobat) to rescale page size after cropping so that it fits the screen?

I guess this would move upper and bottom text in other pages, so to make this
work be would basically need to redifine the height of pages.
As anyone been able to do anything like that so far?
EcceGallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
EcceGallo
EcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enoughEcceGallo will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1 sony
Accualy, I've made it. I'll post for others (using Acrobat)

1. Crop pages as much as possible
2. Print>printer: Adobe PDF
3. In the print screen select properties>adobe pdf settings>add PDF page size
4. Create a new one with the size of your reader (for PRS-T1 it's 90.6mm and 122.4mm)
5. Back to the print screen select "Tile large pages" and tweak the option (I've used a 95 and 0.9 inches which split pages into two horizontal section, overlapping should ensure you're not missing piecese between pages)
6. Print and use the .ps file you get by double clicking to generate the pdf.

Last edited by EcceGallo; 09-29-2012 at 08:28 AM.
EcceGallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcceGallo View Post
Accualy, I've made it. I'll post for others (using Acrobat)

1. Crop pages as much as possible
2. Print>printer: Adobe PDF
3. In the print screen select properties>adobe pdf settings>add PDF page size
4. Create a new one with the size of your reader (for PRS-T1 it's 90.6mm and 122.4mm)
5. Back to the print screen select "Tile large pages" and tweak the option (I've used a 95 and 0.9 inches which split pages into two horizontal section, overlapping should ensure you're not missing piecese between pages)
6. Print and use the .ps file you get by double clicking to generate the pdf.
If you need landscape view for even bigger text size you should print in Tile mode with 120x85 mm and then choose landscape mode in reader.

Pages will usually be cut three screens long and we can also use buttons for next part of the page, meaning page turning is quicker and easier than panning in zoom.

There is also no need to leave those cut pages for normal view for handwriting or highlighting (if you do quick OCR on those tiled pages) as with normal zooming by prs t1 reader when we should first get to normal view.

Before Tile-printing in Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader(Poster mode) I would crop the borders in Briss, Pdf Scissors, Scan Tailor etc.

Instead of Adobe Acrobat or Reader we can also use k2pdfopt.

k2pdfopt can crop margins and print to landscape (as with Tile mode in virtual printer) or portrait mode, all in one go.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...144711&page=12

As it says in FAQ:

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/help/faq.shtml

"I just want k2pdfopt to remove the excess borders on my PDF file. Can it do that?

Yes. Use command-line options -col 1 -wrap- -vb -1. This will turn off multiple column detection (-col 1) and text wrapping (-wrap-) and prevent k2pdfopt from trying to detect vertical breaks (-vb -1) between regions (-vb -1 is a new option as of v1.40). Additionally, you can use -ls to turn the document sideways and use landscape mode."

Usually I also change output to higher than default 167 i.e. 180 or 190 in cases like this when printing for landscape without wrap(reflow).

Last edited by markom; 09-29-2012 at 07:57 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote