Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #46
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
"Limit five" sounds like people are buying large lots to sell on Ebay. If they disrupt supplies so that people won't get Amazon orders delivered until after Christmas, the Ebayers can charge a whopper of a price.
Ebay traders who ship internationally and can name their own price probably scooped them up. I wish I would have thought of that and ordered a few "spares"
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #47
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edy View Post
It sounds plausible, but Amazon doesn't launch the first Kindle in their history. They should be able to anticipate delivery capacity and make sure suppliers are ready. It is a hercules work I admit.

They should learn from apple how fast they do launch the iPhone 5 in several countries and are able to ship actually.
The supply of the new screen may not be as large as we imagine. I recall that K3 delivery was delayed a month all the way into October 2010.. Since the PW is launching a month later than the K3 launch (August 27th 2010 vs. October 1, 2012), that's pushing very close to the holidays. Nate suspects Amazon may try a limited international launch this year if the supplies stabilize. That's just a guess.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The supply of the new screen may not be as large as we imagine. I recall that K3 delivery was delayed a month all the way into October 2010.. Since the PW is launching a month later than the K3 launch (August 27th 2010 vs. October 1, 2012), that's pushing very close to the holidays. Nate suspects Amazon may try a limited international launch this year if the supplies stabilize. That's just a guess.
As I said in my earlier post, I suspect that it's eInk's ability to supply the new screen that's the bottleneck here. I certainly wouldn't expect to see a pre-Christmas international launch for the PW.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #49
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Nate says he has the reason for the KPW delay. Sounds about right.
Quote:
The current high demand is at least partially due to customers buying the KPW to ship to friends overseas.
I only bought three Paperwhites so far (for international Kindle Developer friends, and one for myself). Still waiting for a decision on the fourth one.

We NEED them now, so we can update our hacks and debricking methods to support them.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-13-2012 at 11:55 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #50
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Is that title a joke or a Freudian slip?
Yeah I love this post title. I knew I'm not the only one who keeps on thinking paperweight. I think that is a bad marketing term.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #51
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yeah I love this post title. I knew I'm not the only one who keeps on thinking paperweight. I think that is a bad marketing term.

=X=
It is easy to think "paperweight" when reading "paperwhite". But when typing "paperwhite", the 's' key is right below the 'w' key (on a QWERTY keyboard), and it is all too easy to type "papershite" instead. I have accidentally typed that more than once, and others have reported the same problem. And we all know that "shite" is a different color.

It is a poor choice of marketing term in more ways than one.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-13-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #52
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As I said in my earlier post, I suspect that it's eInk's ability to supply the new screen that's the bottleneck here. I certainly wouldn't expect to see a pre-Christmas international launch for the PW.
Neither do I, and as a matter of fact, I think nothing will happen until after Valentine's day because in January there is still money to spend (all those people who got an amazon gift card for Xmas), and then you'll have the sweethearts presents. So the next thing will be Easter, which in some country in Europe is being celebrated with presents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
It is easy to think "paperweight" when reading "paperwhite". But when typing "paperwhite", the 's' key is right below the 'w' key (on a QWERTY keyboard), and it is all too easy to type "papershite" instead. I have accidentally typed that more than once, and others have reported the same problem. And we all know that "shite" is a different color.

It is a poor choice of marketing term in more ways than one.
I did write papershite myself more than once
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #53
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd say you're correct. I just read Nate's post where he says he ordered one only 24 hours after it went live...and got an EDD of October 21st.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:41 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'd say you're correct. I just read Nate's post where he says he ordered one only 24 hours after it went live...and got an EDD of October 21st.
I ordered the day after the announcement, too (or rather, a friend in the US ordered on my behalf). My date is 17th October.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #55
geekmaster

My paperwhite orders show an EDD range of about one week, not a specific date. How are you guys calculating a single date? First date of range, last date of range, or middle of range?
Old 09-14-2012, 02:49 AM   #56
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
My paperwhite orders show an EDD range of about one week, not a specific date. How are you guys calculating a single date? First date of range, last date of range, or middle of range?
Prime, I suppose:

Old 09-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #57
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Prime, I suppose:

Yes, I now have exactly the same screen and the same date as TimW
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #58
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I don't have prime and my "delivery estimate" for the same model is October 2 (one day shipping).
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #59
TimW
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I don't have prime and my "delivery estimate" for the same model is October 2 (one day shipping).
One-day shipping, with or without Prime, gets the October 2nd date. Cool, that's good to know.

Only two-and-a-half weeks away, looking forward to it.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #60
geekmaster

Mine is not prime. It is the "free shipping" method. You can see the 4-day range here: