Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-24-2012, 09:14 AM   #61
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The DES hash for mario is in the diags_ssh partitions for the K5. I know, because I put it there so people do not need to know the fionaXXX root pw for some other serial number.

You can copy the root hash string from K5 diags_ssh /etc/shadow and replace the root hash in your K4 /etc/shadow, just like I did for diags. I do not have a K4 or K5 with me, or I would post the hash here...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #62
enso
enso began at the beginning.

Device: K4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You can mount and modify a firmware image file before flashing it. In Windows, I use ImDisk: http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/
And can you describe how exactly do you modify it?
enso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #63
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enso View Post
And can you describe how exactly do you modify it?
You mount the image file as a disk image. Then you read the raw ext3 disk with a ext2fs or other file system tool that can read and write linux disk images. Some such tools may be able to explore a disk image file directly without mounting it. Or it may be easier to loop-mount it using linux, or a linux VM in Windows.

Asking a question that contains the word "exactly" is considered rude. You need to learn some stuff on your own, or you should not be messing with this stuff... We can only provide GENERAL guidelines, not exact recipes for all special cases, especially when we do not know what problems you will have to solve along the way...
Old 06-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #64
vitalidon
vitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametervitalidon can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Voyage 5.12.1, Kindle 4NT
I had problems updating to new firmware 4.1.0 on kindle 4NT.
So I used the kindle 4 main image for firmware 4.0.1 to restore my kindle to brand new state downloaded from http://pastebin.com/Wdw4L7yT. Then I was able to update to new firmware 4.1.0.
Later when I decided to get into SSH I was not able to use my "fiona5103" password anymore. The only one working was framework/mario that at least allowed me to copy the /etc/shadow file to my computer.
Then I used "John the Ripper" thing which revealed my new root password "fionaadc" and I was able to login as root.
The only one question still not clear is what caused the password change the image from pastebin or the new firmware update. Unfortunately I did not try to SSH before applying the amazon update. It looks like the root password "fionaadc" is stored in the image itself. I opened it with WinImage and it is the same as the one in my kindle.
vitalidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #65
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalidon View Post
The only one question still not clear is what caused the password change the image from pastebin or the new firmware update. Unfortunately I did not try to SSH before applying the amazon update. It looks like the root password "fionaadc" is stored in the image itself. I opened it with WinImage and it is the same as the one in my kindle.
fionaadc would probably be hostar's diags root password. When I installed SSH in various diags images, I set the diags root pw to the mario DES hash. You can look in the main /etc/shadow, and copy the root hash into the diags /etc/shadow, to change the password hash to mario (like I did).

I have mentioned in various posts that any images posted for OTHER users should have a mario DES password hash. Locking an image to a specific serial number will just cause confusion. I do not post most of the images. I just add the provided URLs to the forensic images pastebin, so I can only make recommendations, not enforce them.

Glad you got it working. I added you to "the list".

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-29-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #66
Flumpydog
Flumpydog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash2004 View Post
My kindle is registered in UK (but bought in US). I can't see the option to disable ads anywhere on my manage the kindle page. Is it offered in UK ?
Also tbh, I am not really bothered by the ads...I just like tinkering with my new Kindle

I live in Canada, contacted Amazon, and they removed the ads for me FOR FREE!
Flumpydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #67
twilightsenpai
twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolkodo View Post
Hello guys,

here is the methode, it worked for me:
CLICK HERE
Hahaha, im quoting this very late, but that method worked very good for me.
twilightsenpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #68
waterlubber
hobbyist
waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.waterlubber got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 4 NT (Non-Touch)
Chinese, Linux. No difference. I am the C++ guy, not Linus the Linux nut. (that was a pun. there is no linus/linux nut.)
waterlubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The way to remove the ads is to pay Amazon to get the add-free firmware. The mods don't like talking about how to remove the ads without paying since you are cheating Amazon.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #70
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlubber View Post
Chinese, Linux. No difference. I am the C++ guy, not Linus the Linux nut. (that was a pun. there is no linus/linux nut.)
You know c++?

FWIW Linux gave us a world of free software and OS and more...

Windows gave us closed source software, expensive over-rated under-performing products for many years, and now a closed platform OS.

It's a really tough decision who made the better impact.

: )

Anyways. I hate this thread. Another "Last post ever" post. : )
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #71
twilightsenpai
twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.twilightsenpai got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The way to remove the ads is to pay Amazon to get the add-free firmware. The mods don't like talking about how to remove the ads without paying since you are cheating Amazon.
I did it only for research purposes.
twilightsenpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #72
JNT
Connoisseur
JNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic something

Device: KT / K4NT / T62D / T68
Quote:
What if you don't want to remove them permanently?
JNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNT View Post
What if you don't want to remove them permanently?
But telling others how to do it without paying means they could do it permanently regardless if you want to do it temporarily.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #74
JNT
Connoisseur
JNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic somethingJNT has a certain pleonastic something

Device: KT / K4NT / T62D / T68
Quote:
But telling others how to do it without paying means they could do it permanently regardless if you want to do it temporarily.
Surely we should not aim to keep all knowledge that could be used by some in unethical, or even worse ways, a secret? Where do you draw the line? Who decides?
JNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #75
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNT View Post
Surely we should not aim to keep all knowledge that could be used by some in unethical, or even worse ways, a secret? Where do you draw the line? Who decides?
Amazon decides where to draw the line. We believe that they locked down the Paperwhite firmware so hard BECAUSE of ad removal without paying amazon.

There is still no (published) method of jailbreaking a kindle that was shipped with 5.3.0 firmware. And even when a PW jailbreak gets published, amazon may be quick to push a firmware update to disable it.

We hope to establish some new rules to convince amazon to let us customize our future kindles. This may require not publishing information here that will harm amazon's profitability enough to keep locking down their devices (amazon lost money last quarter)...

Sometimes a little censorship is required (when people refuse to exercise sufficient self-control). There is a group of developers who agree with this position. Those who wish to remove ads will just have to learn how to use Google (and perhaps a few linux commands).