Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Scientists Turn DNA Into Rewritable Memory

"DNA, the strings of chemicals which define us, acts like a kind of read-only biological data storage device. Now, though, synthetic biologists have managed to turn DNA into a form or rewritable memory, just like that in our computers.
While it's not the first rewritable biological storage system to be made—others have used proteins which bond to DNA to perform a similar function—it is the first time such an effect has been achieved in the DNA itself, and it could make synthetic digital cells a possibility.

To achieve it the researchers, from Stanford University, spliced genetic elements from a bacterium-infecting virus into the DNA of Escherichia coli. What they were left with is a system which contains a stretch of DNA flanked by sites which indicate to enzymes that the DNA can be "cut" and then "pasted" in reverse orientation—and that's just what happens. In fact, the process can be performed over and over, with the team so far demonstrating that is can be done at least 16 times.

Indeed, the whole point of this research is to create biological, digital storage devices that can be employed within synthetic biological systems. While rewritable DNA storage will probably never power your hard drive, it might be in living creatures before your lifetime is through."

http://gizmodo.com/5...writable-memory

one step closer to immortality?
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
lostmymarbles
Hunger Games Survivor
lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'lostmymarbles has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: Kindle
Interesting... though some way to go before you are immortal.
Perhaps your genetic material can be stored digitally but you yourself will still not be immortal.
lostmymarbles is offline   Reply With Quote