Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #13291
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Finally finished Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld. It's a very young YA steampunkish alternate history book set in 1914 at the beginning of WWI. World was unique with man-made creatures and steampunk machines. Explanations were simple enough for young readers. Story continues in his next book but it doesn't end on a cliffhanger. And I must say the illustrations throughout the book by Keith Thompson were excellent especially the end pages. Overall a satisfying read if a bit too YA for me. Rated C [3 stars]
I've read Leviathan. Yes, it does end on a cliffhanger of sorts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #13292
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Finished a number of books in the meantime (I think the commenting deficit is well into the double-digits now). Might as well mention the latest, since it came from the library's New Books shelf and I quite enjoyed it.

The Ionia Sanction by Gary Corby is a sleuthy mystery/adventure thriller set in historical Ancient Greece, and really is historical, with this episode, the 2nd in series, being centred around a certain event involving the real-life Athenian general turned Persian satrap Themistocles, whose Wikipedia entry I won't link to because it'll probably spoiler you for what happens in the book.

In any case, author Corby does a fairly decent job of interweaving his fictional sleuth and activities with real-life personages (his amateur sleuth is a made-up brother for the real Socrates, who's a teenaged boy in this, and makes this the 2nd Ancient Greek sleuthy famous philosopher-related series that I know of, the other being Margaret Doody's Aristotle books which one day I'll have to try).

I like how he not only includes historical notes and explanations showing how he deviates from the real history and why (as well as "this sounds like I made it up, but really I didn't; it's all there in Thucidydes") but also introduces his cast of characters with a little descriptive blurb and funny representative quote from them at the start of the book. Plus there's a naming/pronunciation guide which suggests to sound really authentic, you need to pronounce the χ in the traditional Scottish/German ch manner: i.e. like gently choking on a fishbone.

I've always been somewhat wary of 1st-person narration done in historical detective novels, as many authors tend to make their sleuths sound like a jaded transplanted 20th century noir/police procedural narrator who's quantum leapt into a convenient period body, keeping modern attitudes more-or-less intact and finding justifications for why their heroes are so out of step with the local times (if they even bother acknowledging that people were much the same, and yet very different, back then).

Corby's aspiring sleuth Nicolaos isn't entirely free from a certain Quantum Leap-yness, especially as regards going against his father's will to try and secure a love marriage with an unsuitably-backgrounded undowried girlfriend instead of a standard status-enhancing property marriage though that probably did happen a lot in ancient times as well, but otherwise reads as generally fairly in tune with his time period for the most part and there's only a minor occasional infodumpy clunkiness in the explanatory narrative for the differing customs of the time, some of which are probably different enough to need some explanation for people who haven't studied Athenian historical culture.

Overall, the plot moves fairly well (it's one of those mysterious murder leads to mysterious artifact to mysterious personage which takes you on a distant journey to find out how they all tie together, with some Greek/Persian political intrigue involved) and the whodunnit resolves well enough. The characters were generally likeable (excepting the ones which obviously weren't supposed to be) and weren't afraid to make fun of the sleuth at his expense, and there were some witty lines in the dialogue and narration.

Medium-high recommend if you've an interest in ancient Greek historical sleuthery which incorporates real-life Greek history (and not just the background trappings). The writing is a little light and perhaps shallow in places, but the history/culture inclusions added a nice depth, and there was a charming sense of humour to much of it.

I really liked this, in part because it was very Relevant to My Interests, but also because it was fairly entertainingly written and enjoyable in its own right. I'll be looking up the 1st in the series at the library, and should these things go on discount sale as e-book for, say, ~$3 per volume, I'd be happy to buy the lot.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:22 AM   #13293
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm reading both "The Magus" and the first book in the Dresden Files series, "Storm Front". I'm really glad that I finally got around to reading the Dresden Files. It's a nice break from the Magus, and the perfect book for "just about to go to sleep" reading. I'm reading the Magus during the day, and Storm Front in bed.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #13294
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Finished a number of books in the meantime (I think the commenting deficit is well into the double-digits now). Might as well mention the latest, since it came from the library's New Books shelf and I quite enjoyed it.

The Ionia Sanction by Gary Corby is a sleuthy mystery/adventure thriller set in historical Ancient Greece, and really is historical, with this episode, the 2nd in series, being centred around a certain event involving the real-life Athenian general turned Persian satrap Themistocles, whose Wikipedia entry I won't link to because it'll probably spoiler you for what happens in the book.

In any case, author Corby does a fairly decent job of interweaving his fictional sleuth and activities with real-life personages (his amateur sleuth is a made-up brother for the real Socrates, who's a teenaged boy in this, and makes this the 2nd Ancient Greek sleuthy famous philosopher-related series that I know of, the other being Margaret Doody's Aristotle books which one day I'll have to try).

I like how he not only includes historical notes and explanations showing how he deviates from the real history and why (as well as "this sounds like I made it up, but really I didn't; it's all there in Thucidydes") but also introduces his cast of characters with a little descriptive blurb and funny representative quote from them at the start of the book. Plus there's a naming/pronunciation guide which suggests to sound really authentic, you need to pronounce the χ in the traditional Scottish/German ch manner: i.e. like gently choking on a fishbone.

I've always been somewhat wary of 1st-person narration done in historical detective novels, as many authors tend to make their sleuths sound like a jaded transplanted 20th century noir/police procedural narrator who's quantum leapt into a convenient period body, keeping modern attitudes more-or-less intact and finding justifications for why their heroes are so out of step with the local times (if they even bother acknowledging that people were much the same, and yet very different, back then).

Corby's aspiring sleuth Nicolaos isn't entirely free from a certain Quantum Leap-yness, especially as regards going against his father's will to try and secure a love marriage with an unsuitably-backgrounded undowried girlfriend instead of a standard status-enhancing property marriage though that probably did happen a lot in ancient times as well, but otherwise reads as generally fairly in tune with his time period for the most part and there's only a minor occasional infodumpy clunkiness in the explanatory narrative for the differing customs of the time, some of which are probably different enough to need some explanation for people who haven't studied Athenian historical culture.

Overall, the plot moves fairly well (it's one of those mysterious murder leads to mysterious artifact to mysterious personage which takes you on a distant journey to find out how they all tie together, with some Greek/Persian political intrigue involved) and the whodunnit resolves well enough. The characters were generally likeable (excepting the ones which obviously weren't supposed to be) and weren't afraid to make fun of the sleuth at his expense, and there were some witty lines in the dialogue and narration.

Medium-high recommend if you've an interest in ancient Greek historical sleuthery which incorporates real-life Greek history (and not just the background trappings). The writing is a little light and perhaps shallow in places, but the history/culture inclusions added a nice depth, and there was a charming sense of humour to much of it.

I really liked this, in part because it was very Relevant to My Interests, but also because it was fairly entertainingly written and enjoyable in its own right. I'll be looking up the 1st in the series at the library, and should these things go on discount sale as e-book for, say, ~$3 per volume, I'd be happy to buy the lot.
This sounds like it is right up my alley.
Thank you,
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #13295
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I finished Diary of the Displaced and I reviewed in on my site if anyone's interested. I liked it but it lacked in a couple of areas.

Direct link for the lazy: http://papyrus.calebblake.net/2012/0...y-glynn-james/

I've now started Wired by Douglas E. Richards. This is an interesting book in that there are some pretty significant claims to success:

Quote:
The #1 bestselling Kindle book for all of 2011 in two major categories -- technothrillers and science fiction -- an unprecedented achievement (19th bestselling Kindle book overall, including fiction and non-fiction).
You would have to think that this author made a packet with rankings like that, but I never hear him being mentioned in the indie author success story discussions you see floating around.

Anyway - a third in and there's nothing wrong with the pacing. It's easy to get into and moves like a bullet train.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #13296
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post

Thanks, added to my TBR list. Library has the series available.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #13297
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've read Leviathan. Yes, it does end on a cliffhanger of sorts.
I consider it the end of one adventure. More follow.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:35 PM   #13298
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Just Finished

- Skeleton Crew by Stephen King - I feel like I've been working my way through this book for months. It started out slow but a lot of the stories in the second half of the book were really good. Including a few great ones.

Currently Reading:

- Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley (26%)

- Professor Moriarty: the Hound of the D'urbervilles by Kim Newman (17%)

- Climbing Mount Improbable by Richard Dawkins (15%)

- Moby-Dick, or The Whale by Herman Melville (28%) [on hold]
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #13299
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Laurie R. King and Dana Stabenow

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Finished Odd Thomas. Liked it a lot. Odd is a really interesting character supported by a bunch of other really interesting characters. A fun read.

I'm now starting Laurie R. King's Night Work the 2nd of the Kate Martinelli books.
I just finished Laurie R. King's Night Work and in my opinion it dragged a lot with filler mainly consisting of a whole lot of Indian (Not Native American) and Old Testament Mysticism. Charlie Russell warned me of a Laurie R. King book (he said it was one of the Mary Russell novels) with this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I've lost track of which one is which now, but at least one of them Mary Russell goes on and on about Judaica mysticism and it drags. But once you get past that one, they pick back up again.
But I think that Night Work is more than likely the book he was referring to. Anyway, I'm still looking forward to the next Kate Martinelli book, The Art of Detection which I'll read after I read Killing Grounds by Dana Stabenow, the 8th Kate Shugak Mystery.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:56 AM   #13300
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I just finished Laurie R. King's Night Work and in my opinion it dragged a lot with filler mainly consisting of a whole lot of Indian (Not Native American) and Old Testament Mysticism. Charlie Russell warned me of a Laurie R. King book (he said it was one of the Mary Russell novels) with this problem.

But I think that Night Work is more than likely the book he was referring to. Anyway, I'm still looking forward to the next Kate Martinelli book, The Art of Detection which I'll read after I read Killing Grounds by Dana Stabenow, the 8th Kate Shugak Mystery.
Must teach you to spell. It's easy, really. Just remember that someone knocked the "L" out of my family.

IAC, still working on Grantville Gazette V. Enjoying about 75% of the stories, and none have been real clankers so far, so a good selection.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:30 AM   #13301
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Russell vs. Russel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Must teach you to spell. It's easy, really. Just remember that someone knocked the "L" out of my family.

IAC, still working on Grantville Gazette V. Enjoying about 75% of the stories, and none have been real clankers so far, so a good selection.
Yikes! Sorry about that. I guess that the Mary Russell spelling of Russell was stuck in my head!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #13302
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I just finished up Crusade by Dave Weber and Steve White.

Now reading Off Armageddon Reef by Dave Weber.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #13303
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Ok, I finished We Need to Talk About Kevin. I found it engrossing but give it only 2 stars because the ending made me very angry. No, not what you're thinking (if you've read the book). I saw that coming a mile away. What I'm talking about some of you might find redemptive but I hated it.

I breezed through a graphic novel as well, Daytripper. Completely beautiful. 5 stars.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:59 PM   #13304
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Finished the Circles of Light series (6 books) by E.M Sinclair. What can I say, I like dragon books , it's got plenty of other stuff. Loads of characters and places, that can some times make it hard to keep up. This series is probably targeted towards the YA-audience.

After that series I went on reading The book of deacon (also fantasy but less dragons ). This book was ok but now I feel I'm loosing interest with the second book: The Great Convergence (whiny characters can quickly become annoying, at least I felt so). So I'm skipping this one for other reading materials.

I've picked up the continuation of the Dralin saga (Ebudae) from MR member John Carroll. This one I'm looking forward to.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #13305
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Just finished the 14th of the 15 Repairman Jack books by F. Paul Wilson. Really enjoyed the whole series. Started as a fairly normal lone wolf type thing with slight fantasy overtones but really developed into an intriguing series with fascinating premises, concepts and characters. I can't wait to read the last one
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote