Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #166
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Why not figure out how send these fees to the creator per each torrent download, instead of per each library checkout?
There was a way figured out to get a fee to the creators (author, publisher etc.) for each use. It is the overdrive system used by the libraries. If you think there is a need for a competing system, feel freee to go out and create it. If the business plan is good, you will get funding from investors to make it. Might also solve your not enough money to buy books problem.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #167
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
There was a way figured out to get a fee to the creators (author, publisher etc.) for each use. It is the overdrive system used by the libraries. If you think there is a need for a competing system, feel free to go out and create it. If the business plan is good, you will get funding from investors to make it. Might also solve your not enough money to buy books problem.
But what if business is not good in general?

Overdrive seems to be ok, except for the fact that it does not have as many books as it should and also there is usually a wait list for the books that I want, which is absurd. Overdrive, or the internet tax for reading is a good first step I would say.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #168
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Is caching a copy of a book in my web browser copying? I hate getting into semantics, but I am sure you see where this goes...

WE NEED TO READ.

Please list the books you have written so I can avoid them
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #169
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
It is not different, that is the point. Except for the "fact" that access to said torrent site would probably require a cut of your paycheck via an internet tax.
I don't see the point. If you want a book you can pay for it, wait for it to be available at the library, or steal it. Why should others subsidize your entertainment?
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #170
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
Please list the books you have written so I can avoid them
Actually, I just want download and distribute his books without paying him...
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #171
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
I don't see the point. If you want a book you can pay for it, wait for it to be available at the library, or steal it. Why should others subsidize your entertainment?
The point is that reading is not theft. Every book should be available at the library. And in fact a lot of books are. A few libraries actually required every book to be made available through public library systems. This was before the digital of course.

Do we require a new regulation, requiring every work uploaded to the network to be made available to the public? Or has the notion of profits been so indoctrinated within you that you cannot see yourself giving away creation to anyone who wishes to read your work?

Copies in the digital age are trivial. We only allow them to be complex due to stifling laws. These laws make websites like the pirate bay et al to exist and profit from others work. If copying existed outside all regulation, the pirate bay would cease to function on a for profit basis and its offspring would come forth, entirely volunteer run.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #172
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Or has the notion of profits been so indoctrinated within you that you cannot see yourself giving away creation to anyone who wishes to read your work?
I'm giving away this post, as Andrew gave away his.

Personally, I haven't written any books, but I do write software. Some programs I have given away, and some I have been paid for. Aren't you the one who is trying to get the same model applied to all?
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:28 AM   #173
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I'm giving away this post, as Andrew gave away his.

Personally, I haven't written any books, but I do write software. Some programs I have given away, and some I have been paid for. Aren't you the one who is trying to get the same model applied to all?
I am trying to say that there is no model.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #174
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Or has the notion of profits been so indoctrinated within you that you cannot see yourself giving away creation to anyone who wishes to read your work?
Has the notion of hanging on to your money for dear life been so indoctrinated within you that you cannot see yourself compensating the creators in the way they want you to? Or did you never even consider the old "well, I will just read something else"?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #175
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Has the notion of hanging on to your money for dear life been so indoctrinated within you that you cannot see yourself compensating the creators in the way they want you to? Or did you never even consider the old "well, I will just read something else"?
I consider compensating the creators every time I finish a book...
Old 05-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #176
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I consider compensating the creators every time I finish a book...
Ah, to dream the impossible dream....
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote