Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #16
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
What is this anti-glare screen protector and how much does it affect screen contrast?

And may I say that the advertisement might be a bit disingenuous by making out the anti-glare screen protector to be a necessity for both e-readers, when in actuality it might well have been necessitated for the nook by the glowlight they're including in their product.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #17
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
And may I say that the advertisement might be a bit disingenuous ...
Yeah, marketing... But doesn't defeat the point that, at the same price, the new nook is a better proposition.

Last edited by afv011; 04-12-2012 at 07:55 PM.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #18
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
B&N, Sony, etc., always seem to get new tech to market before Amazon. Amazon is many good things but it's not a technology innovator.

I'm just wondering what this screen light would do with color eInk. The color screens I've seen need lots of light to look half good. Perhaps this tech would give what the next generation needs.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #19
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
According to reviewers ... They also made it lighter. Slightly different touch hardware to make it more responsive than previous NST. Somehow made page turns faster.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #20
toronado
Addict
toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toronado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Could someone explain what is going on with this image from Engadget?

The text on the nook looks all faded out except for the last line.

Last edited by toronado; 04-12-2012 at 11:41 PM.
toronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #21
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Could someone explain what is going on with this image from Engadget?
The text on the nook looks all faded out except for the last line.
The layer that distributes the light across the surface is likely to reduce sharpness somewhat; Gizmodo indicates it's hardly noticeable. I will reserve judgement until I see it myself.

Quote:
The drawback is that adding an extra layer (for the light) between the ink and the surface means there's a slight loss of contrast between the print and the page. That's just physics. It's not super noticeable in the dark with the front light on, but out in the sun or in a well lit room, you'll notice it if you look closely. The screen also deflects glare in the sun a little less effectively than the old Simple Touch. But it's pretty negligible—a B&N rep confirmed, but I had to stare at both models for a few minutes under a very bright sun to see it myself.
Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:23 AM   #22
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
My next reader which I will buy at the end of the year when its price has dropped to under $100/-
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:29 AM   #23
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Now they only need to start shipping internationally, something that Amazon has been doing for ages.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:17 AM   #24
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
This is the first Nook I would be slightly be tempted to buy, but I'm also curious about the prominent mention of a screen protector. The blurb on B&N states that it's "pre-installed" (with a value of $18 including charger), while the above comparison mentions that it's "built-in". Why make such a big deal of a "screen protector" ?

And since this is supposed to be new technology, why even make a comparison to a Kindle Touch + external light which is the same as a Nook Touch + external light?

Last edited by JoHunt; 04-13-2012 at 11:18 AM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
What is this anti-glare screen protector and how much does it affect screen contrast?

And may I say that the advertisement might be a bit disingenuous by making out the anti-glare screen protector to be a necessity for both e-readers, when in actuality it might well have been necessitated for the nook by the glowlight they're including in their product.
The other thing that's rather disingenuous is using the price of the non ad-supported Kindle Touch, which almost nobody buys. The "normal" price of the Kindle Touch is $99.

As you say, a screen protector is completely unnecessary for the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:25 AM   #26
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Well....

Going on the two original images, and to my tired old eyes, I'd plump for the kindle, frankly.

[What have I said.... SLAP WRIST(s)......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #27
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
If the screen is the same (or better) than the present Nook I might get it at some point. If it's in any way worse, I'm not!
DOn't read too much into the pictures with Nook and Kindle side by side. To compare that way they must have the same (or very similar) font.
I'm looking forward to comparing the two Nooks side by side in June, but hope someone will post a comparison here before that!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
If the screen is the same (or better) than the present Nook I might get it at some point. If it's in any way worse, I'm not!
It's the same screen - there are no others.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #29
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I meant appearance of the text on the screen. Some of it I suppose is software controlled (font renedering) and I also wonder what effect "built in screen protector" may have.

What's the deal with the battery? Nook STR 60 hours (60 days, 1 hour/day) of reading, new Nook 30 hours (60 days 0,5 hours/day)without the light. That's odd!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #30
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Now they only need to start shipping internationally, something that Amazon has been doing for ages.
Agreed. If B&N truly wants to compete with Amazon's Kindle they have to go international.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote