Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
markjoseph
markjoseph began at the beginning.

Device: nook kindle
Line Spacing in Sigil?

I'm trying to create blank lines in my book. For example I used three asterisks between sections and would like a blank line above and below them. The code I see is:

<p class="calibre2"><br /></p>

<p class="calibre2"></p>

<p class="calibre2"></p>

<p class="calibre4">***</p>

<p class="calibre4"><br /></p>

<p class="calibre2"></p>

In the Nook for PC and the Adobe Reader the line spaces are not there. What code will work? I'm using Sigil 5.3. Thanks, Mark

Oh, by the way, the line <p class="calibre2"></p> appears all over the place. Do I need to worry about deleting it?
markjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Instead of blank lines or blank paragraphs, use top and bottom margin for your asterisks. These are CSS properties, you have to learn the basics of CSS if you haven't yet.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjoseph View Post
I'm trying to create blank lines in my book. For example I used three asterisks between sections and would like a blank line above and below them. The code I see is:

<p class="calibre2"><br /></p>

<p class="calibre2"></p>

<p class="calibre2"></p>

<p class="calibre4">***</p>

<p class="calibre4"><br /></p>

<p class="calibre2"></p>

In the Nook for PC and the Adobe Reader the line spaces are not there. What code will work? I'm using Sigil 5.3. Thanks, Mark

Oh, by the way, the line <p class="calibre2"></p> appears all over the place. Do I need to worry about deleting it?
Have a look at my ePub tutorial (see my signature). Look for the section on "scene changes."
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Code:
<p class="center">* * *</p>
And in the CSS...

Code:
.center {
text-align: center
margin-top: 15px;
margin-bottom: 15px
}
There you go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Personally I would use:
Code:
.center {
margin-top: 1.2em;
margin-bottom: 1.2em;
}
This will adjust the blank line with the font size to keep it in proportion.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Personally I would use:
Code:
.center {
margin-top: 1.2em;
margin-bottom: 1.2em;
}
This will adjust the blank line with the font size to keep it in proportion.
I agree with using em units, particularly since such scene breaks occur in the general flow of the text and not as "headings" at the top of a screen.

While a style name can be any string of characters, I would suggest using a more descriptive name like "scene" or "scenebreak" instead of "center" for this. That way you can use "center" for a simpler centering style without the wide top and bottom margins. It makes reading the code at a later date much easier.

My personal approach is to style the <p> with the asterisks, or more often an image, using my .heading style and then style the first <p> in the new scene using my .scene style. This allows me to omit the asterisk line when only a blank gap is desired without having to add a unique style for that book. Using the same style names in all (or most) of my books makes creation and editing much easier.

Code:
.heading {
  text-indent: 0em;
  margin-top: 1em;
  margin-bottom: 0em;
  text-align: center;
  }
.section {
  text-indent: 1em;
  margin-top: 1em;
  }
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sory, but it actually works better with 15px then 1.2em.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
how so? if I change my font size, it wouldn't scale.

Last edited by Rob Lister; 03-24-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's personal preference.

I personally prefer 1em for this. Anything larger looks too big, but smaller doesn't look to me like there is a gap.

Last edited by ghostyjack; 03-24-2012 at 01:49 PM.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
how so? if I change my font size, it wouldn't scale.
Jon doesn't like his spacing to scale with font-size... and he doesn't like anybody else's to do so either.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-24-2012 at 08:47 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I like em
I also play with the font-size and font-weight for scene breaks
YMMV (john's doesn't )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But if you keep your section break space the same, you'll know it's a section break as it will be the same size regardless of the font size.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #13
markjoseph
markjoseph began at the beginning.

Device: nook kindle
Thanks everyone! That's a great help. Now I just need to get "search/replace" going. *Warming up function*
markjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formatting, line spacing, sigil