Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
ElsieC
Zealot
ElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-505
PRS+ Install Failure

Edit: My 505 is now stuck with frozen rotating arrows.

Hi. I hope I am posting this in the right place. I am trying to install PRS+ on my Sony PRS-505 but have been unsuccessful. I hope someone can help me figure out what I am doing wrong.

To start, would someone please clarify these instructions in the readme file: "Unpack PRSPInstaller folder from this archive to the internal memory of the reader." At first I thought that meant to copy the folder PRSPInstaller from my PC hard drive to the 505. That didn't work. I thought maybe "unpack" referred to unzipping. So, I copied the folder PRSP_505_2.0.18.zip to the 505 and unzipped it there. This time the install screen came up!

I got a message that said "Your firmware version is not supported. If you install PRS+, your firmware will be overwritten with supported version." I chose to Install PRS+. When the install was completed, I got this message:
Failed, check log for errors.

Log
Copying tools to /tmp. . . OK
Saving BootImg . . OK Rootfs2 . . .OK Root fs. . . OK Fsk. . . OK
All partitions were successfully saved to Internal Memory.

!!!ERROR!!! invalid type

Edit: I have updated my firmware. I have been unable to get anything to come up after disconnecting from the PC other than the rotating arrows, which then freeze. I ran the PRS+ Uninstall. My 505 is now stuck with the frozen rotating arrows. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you.
ElsieC

Last edited by ElsieC; 03-06-2012 at 03:09 AM.
ElsieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:34 AM   #2
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
ElsieC,

sounds like a corrupted filesystem on IM (Internal Memory - the removeable drive named "READER")

I suggest to do a hard-rest (see: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Sony...der#Hard_Reset)
But this will wipe all files from the reader.

To save your files you can try to, reset the reader by pressing the reset-button with a paperclip, slide the power-switch and immediately connect the USB-cord.

Reader should start up in data-transfer-mode so that you can save your files.
(With PRS+ installed this will be "Safe-Mode". Not loading PRS+ after disconnect form USB, so you will have standard Sony UI)

BTW:
Quote:
At first I thought that meant to copy the folder PRSPInstaller from my PC hard drive to the 505.
This should be perfectly fine.

And after applying the "Uninstaller" your reader will have the 1.0.0.18040 fw, so a new attempt to install PRS+, after formating IM, should work.

HTH
Mark

PS: feel free to post your questions in the sticky PRS+ tread on top of this page
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:16 AM   #3
ElsieC
Zealot
ElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmos

Thank you Mark for your quick reply. I was able to get to the hard reset screen, but when I pressed 5 to delete everything (I have all my books backed up on my hard drive and a backup drive), nothing happened.

I am going to let the 505 charge overnight and try again tomorrow. I will let you know what happens. Thank you again for your help.

ElsieC
Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
ElsieC
Zealot

Update: I was able to delete the corrupted folder by going to My Computer, right click on Drive L (the 505 internal drive), Properties, Tools, Error Checking Tab, Check Now, Automatically Fix Errors. This removed the corrupted file. I then flashed the drive with the Sony updater and I am back to my original 505 menus. Very happy to have my 505 back! Should I reformat the drive (which I can do from Utilities I think) before I try to install PRS+ or did the Error Check with Automatic Fix fix the problem so no reformat is necessary?

I am still unable to perform a hard reset, the 505 freezes when I get to the "Press 5 to reformat."

There is a folder in the internal memory that is corrupt that I cannot delete. Name is 1.1.01.25200.root2.1. When I try to delete it, I get the message "The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." I tried to run chkdsk /f , got this message: Chkdsk cannot run because the the volume is in use by another program . . . Would you like to force a dismount of this volume?

Forcing the dismount didn't help, chkdsk still would not run, even with another soft reset of the 505.

Last edited by ElsieC; 03-06-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Hi ElsieC,

root of the problem is trying to install PRS+ on non-US (unsupported) firmware. (It is causing too much problems so I'll probably remove it from the installer altogether)

Recovering internal memory errors normally takes more than one try (assuming it is purely software based and not hardware failure).

Prior to doing format/checkdisk, please reboot the reader (by either shutdown or reset) and (IMPORTANT) while it is starting, connect it to USB. This guarantees there are no open files in internal memory so checkdisk or format should succeed.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
ElsieC
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Hi ElsieC,

root of the problem is trying to install PRS+ on non-US (unsupported) firmware. (It is causing too much problems so I'll probably remove it from the installer altogether)

Recovering internal memory errors normally takes more than one try (assuming it is purely software based and not hardware failure).

Prior to doing format/checkdisk, please reboot the reader (by either shutdown or reset) and (IMPORTANT) while it is starting, connect it to USB. This guarantees there are no open files in internal memory so checkdisk or format should succeed.
I am in the U.S. and using the only firmware version available from the Sony website. Are you saying that trying to make PRS+ work with unsupported firmware is causing a problem during installation on supported readers. (?)

I did reboot the reader by pressing the reset hole with a paperclip, sliding the power button, then immediately connecting to USB. Then I ran chkdsk from My Computer, Properties, not the command prompt line. My 505 seems to be back to the way it was before I tried to install PRS+.

So, I am back to where I started last night. I am confused by the directions to "Unpack PRSPInstaller folder from this archive to the internal memory of the reader." Should I copy the folder named PRSPInstaller to Drive L (the internal memory of my 505)?

I appreciate your help. I am looking forward to using the program.

ElsieC
Old 03-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
ElsieC
You will have to "downgrade" the firmware of your reader to 1.0.0.18040 (which btw is essentially the same as 1.1.01.25200.), maybe it is already done by running the PRSP+Uninstaller form the project page)

Please goto Settings - About and check the current fw-version.
If it read 1.1.01.25200, apply the PRS+Uninstaller, it will set up fw. 1.0.0.18040.

After that, you are right, copy the folder named PRSPInstaller to Drive L (the internal memory of your 505)
After disconnecting the USB-Cord the installer menu will show up.
Follow the onscreen instructions.

After downgrading to/installing 1.0.0.18040 (i had to do the same for my 1.4.something German version) the installation of PRS+ works flawlessly

BTW make sure to download the 2.1.01a installer, it is well worth the try and you will benefit from changing CSS-styles on the fly.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
ElsieC
Zealot

Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
ElsieC
You will have to "downgrade" the firmware of your reader to 1.0.0.18040 (which btw is essentially the same as 1.1.01.25200.), maybe it is already done by running the PRSP+Uninstaller form the project page)

Please goto Settings - About and check the current fw-version.
If it read 1.1.01.25200, apply the PRS+Uninstaller, it will set up fw. 1.0.0.18040.

After that, you are right, copy the folder named PRSPInstaller to Drive L (the internal memory of your 505)
After disconnecting the USB-Cord the installer menu will show up.
Follow the onscreen instructions.

After downgrading to/installing 1.0.0.18040 (i had to do the same for my 1.4.something German version) the installation of PRS+ works flawlessly

BTW make sure to download the 2.1.01a installer, it is well worth the try and you will benefit from changing CSS-styles on the fly.
Using the steps you gave me listed above, I have PRS+ installed on my PRS-505. Thank you so much.
The only glitch was when I first unplugged after copying the PRSPInstaller to Drive L. The system froze and did nothing when I tried to chose "English" as the language and would not do anything when I pressed Exit. I pressed the reset button with a paperclip. This time the installation worked just fine. At your suggestion, I used the 2.1.01a installer. I am now going to read the instructions for changing the fonts.

Thank you again for your help. I already love the clock feature.

ElsieC
Old 03-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
Sonylistens
Sony Customer Service Rep
Sonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheeseSonylistens can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony Reader
Sonylistens

Hey ElsieC,

My name is Mike Puma I work with the Sonylistens team, I am sorry to hear about your problem with your Sony Reader. Please call our Sony essuport priority service line 239-768-7678 for assistance in resolving this issue.

Thanks,

Mike Puma
Sonylistens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
ElsieC
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonylistens View Post
Hey ElsieC,

My name is Mike Puma I work with the Sonylistens team, I am sorry to hear about your problem with your Sony Reader. Please call our Sony essuport priority service line 239-768-7678 for assistance in resolving this issue.

Thanks,

Mike Puma
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your offer to help, that is really nice! The other folks here at MR got me up and running now so the issue is now resolved. I appreciate your offer of help and will hang onto that number.

ElsieC