Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Book club members: Where do you live?
New Zealand 1 2.04%
Australia 2 4.08%
Indonesia 0 0%
Philippines 0 0%
Taiwan 0 0%
Japan 0 0%
A Pacific island country not already listed, or Antarctica 0 0%
Russia 0 0%
China 0 0%
South Korea 0 0%
India 0 0%
An Asian country not already listed, or an Indian Ocean island country 0 0%
South Africa 0 0%
An African country not already listed 0 0%
Israel 0 0%
A Middle Eastern country not already listed 1 2.04%
Italy 0 0%
Germany 2 4.08%
A Scandinavian country 3 6.12%
France 0 0%
Spain 0 0%
United Kingdom 4 8.16%
Ireland 1 2.04%
A European country not already listed, or a Mediterranean island country 3 6.12%
An Atlantic island country not already listed, or a Caribbean island country 0 0%
Argentina 0 0%
Brasil 0 0%
A South American country not already listed, or a Central American country 0 0%
United States of America 26 53.06%
Canada 7 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Book Club Members: Where Do You Live? (This is for ALL members of both clubs!)

This talk about members' regions has me interested in the breakdown of our clubs. So, where do you currently live?

I tried to be as inclusive as possible, so I maxed out the poll options. I originally had about 45 options but had to cut 15 due to the 30 maximum allowed. I tried to keep at least one country in each major region and include all the largest and most populous countries and countries with large English-speaking populations. I tried to include an option for everywhere, hence even Antarctica being an option just in case we have any researchers living down there with the penguins and reading a bunch of books! I combined a few options (hence Antarctica with the Pacific) but mostly cut a lot of European countries I had originally included, plus a few from other places around the world.

Since our club is international and just to be a little different, I began in the Pacific and worked westward in listing the countries. The list is arranged by region and not alphabetically.

If your country is not specifically listed, I might have had it on the original list but had to make cuts somewhere. There should still be a more general option for you to choose in your region. Please feel free to choose that and then post your specific country for us.

The poll is multiple choice but please only use it if you live a good part of the time in each country you choose (also please feel free to explain in a post). Most people though should choose only one option.

For some countries there may be more than one viable option (for instance, Egypt could be African or Middle Eastern). You can just choose the option you feel is more correct and of course you can post to explain if you'd like.

I think I included a poll option for every where in the world, but if somehow I missed an option that would include your country, then post and tell me about it!

I don't think our membership is quite as diverse as all the different poll options, so expect to see a lot of options stay at zero. But since I had the available options, I saw no harm in including as many as possible.

If you don't feel comfortable telling your location, then by all means, you don't have to! Don't worry about it; a lot of people like their privacy.

I think it will interesting to see the UK, US, Australia and Canada breakdown and what other countries people are in.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I live at home.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I missed the discussion on regions - I did vote with where I live, but I am a bloody foreigner over there (though probably I would never have got to mobileread had I not been living in an anglophone country): are you interested in nationalities or in residence?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I missed the discussion on regions - I did vote with where I live, but I am a bloody foreigner over there (though probably I would never have got to mobileread had I not been living in an anglophone country): are you interested in nationalities or in residence?
For the poll, where you are living now. But it's always interesting to hear where people come from originally and where all they've lived too. Anyone feel free, if you want, to tell us in a post here about the culture you come from or the other places you've resided. It's interesting to get somewhat of a perspective on how our book clubs are moulded.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I live in Mexico which is part of North America so I didn't respond to the poll.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I live in Mexico which is part of North America so I didn't respond to the poll.
Thanks for posting about it. Sorry! Mexico was part of the original list but I took it off and didn't think to add in an option for it with the other Americas option.

It was actually one of the very last removed and a hard decision - once I already had them all first listed, which was fast and easy, it was then hard to decide which to remove because I wanted to keep them all.

ETA - Unless someone else finds another, Mexico may be unique as the only country in the world not included as an option on the poll.

Last edited by sun surfer; 12-30-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
USA. Florida, to be exact.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Only one vote for the UK? Come on now, I know you're here somewhere. Lots of you.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Feeling a bit lonely down here in Australia.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
Only one vote for the UK? Come on now, I know you're here somewhere. Lots of you.
and that lonely vote is by an Italian
Old 01-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Feeling a bit lonely down here in Australia.
Feel lonely no more! Now there are 2 of us,
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
and that lonely vote is by an Italian
Lol. What's with all the tea around here then?.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Lol. What's with all the tea around here then?.
well, of course overe here we have it with milk, not something adventurous like lemon (actually, this was so strange for me when I moved over here all those years ago: in Italy, you only had tea with lemon - milk really seemed very bizarre, go figure...)

But I'm not lonely anymore, a true Brit answered the call
Old 01-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #14
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
well, of course overe here we have it with milk, not something adventurous like lemon (actually, this was so strange for me when I moved over here all those years ago: in Italy, you only had tea with lemon - milk really seemed very bizarre, go figure...)

But I'm not lonely anymore, a true Brit answered the call
Tea with milk & sugar is my "comfort food" where as tea with lemon & honey is my "get well remedy".
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #15
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'm the Irish member, but I'm also American as I have dual citizenship. However, I live in Ireland so that's what I put.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote