Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #31
Veevax
Veevax began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Hello Guys,

Thank you very much for your work !

Thanks to the tuto created by Kubbur and Danar, I managed to change the screensavers on my kindle 4 NT, without any knowledge of what the hell, I was doing.

However, I was blocked untill I found this indication on how to get the "Unidentified Network" linked to my Kindle in the "Network and Sharing Center" :

http://mytether.net/#other

>> Instructions for USB Tethering on Vista and Windows 7

Maybe, it could help another beginner, to get the root access via USB Networking.

One more time, thanks a lot.
Good luck for the full jail break.

Merry christmas !
Veevax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:51 PM   #32
xtron
xtron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Hello all,

First of all Merry Christmass !
Secondly thank you for this tutorial.
Thirdly I require some help with removing those pesky ads from my kindle 4NT.
I Have followed the steps in "kindle root access via usb networking" but I'm getting stuck after activating USBnet on the kindle. I change the IP as instructed but I cannot connect to the device. I have tried to ping it and 192.168.15.244 is not on the network. Also will doing this conflict with further updates from amazon ?

Thank you !
xtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:41 AM   #33
xtron
xtron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
I've fixed the connection issue but cannot seem to be able to use custom screensavers... I cannot mntrootfs -rw because It says it's not found. I have tried mnroot -rw and completed the process to no avail. Everything worked fine but the screensavers didn't appear
Any thoughts ?

Last edited by xtron; 12-26-2011 at 08:50 AM.
xtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #34
EightWeight
Enthusiast
EightWeight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4, PW
The command is:

mntroot rw

No dashes, no fs.
EightWeight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:55 PM   #35
Kucifus
Kucifus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Hi folks,

I'm trying to put some screensavers on my Kindle 4, but I must confess an absolute lack of knowledge in this area. I'm trying to follow the tutorials danar posted on the first page of this thread but I've not been able to get past the first step.

I've got Python, but after I type the first script to get a password I keep getting a syntax error "unexpected character after line continuation character". If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it, it would be rewarding to do this myself, but I realise that dumbing it down to such a beginners level could be frustrating.

I might wait and see if the full jailbreak gets released at a later point. I can't wait to get rid of these utterly dull stock screensavers though.
Kucifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:13 AM   #36
martines
martines began at the beginning.

Device: none
hi there,
I just got kindle 4.0 and Id like to jailbreak it that I can use ankisrs software,
I dont really have a clue how to do it and dont even know what all these names mean and stuff,could anybody help and tell me how to fix my kindle?
thank you
martines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #37
asciibaron
Connoisseur
asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle 4 NT SO
i have Windows 7 and i'm not seeing a new network adapter when i connect the Kindle 4 to the computer via USB. am i missing an important detail?
asciibaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #38
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
i have Windows 7 and i'm not seeing a new network adapter when i connect the Kindle 4 to the computer via USB. am i missing an important detail?
You need to install usbnet, and you need to activate it, to see the kindle USB port as an "RNDIS" network adapter.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #39
asciibaron
Connoisseur
asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You need to install usbnet, and you need to activate it, to see the kindle USB port as an "RNDIS" network adapter.
the solution was to unplug and reconnect the USB cable about a dozen times until it saw the device as a USB attached NIC. i updated to 4.0.1 and had to run the python script to get the password and now i'm in.

dude, sweet

Last edited by asciibaron; 12-27-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #40
Kucifus
Kucifus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
So does anyone know why this syntax error "unexpected character after line continuation character" keeps happening? If I can get past that I might be able to do the rest fine...
Kucifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #41
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kucifus View Post
So does anyone know why this syntax error "unexpected character after line continuation character" keeps happening? If I can get past that I might be able to do the rest fine...
are you changing the serial to your device's serial? i simply copypasted the line and put in my serial and got my password right away. screwing up that line is easy - there are )) and " and ' quotes to mess with your eyes.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #42
asciibaron
Connoisseur

i have created the link and now have the screensavers folder, replete with some of the pictures from the zip that was posted here. when i bump the Kindle to to screensaver i get my same 4 ad screensavers.

any ideas how to deal with this on an SO model?
Old 12-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #43
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kucifus View Post
That can happen if you edit a script with a Mac or Windows PC.

Linux wants only a LF (line-feed) character at the end of every line. Mac uses only a CR (carriage-return), and Windows or DOS uses CR/LF (both carriage-return and line-feed).

You can either load your script into an editor that supports selecting which end-of-line characters you want, or use a linux convertor to restore LF-only to the lines in the script.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:02 AM   #44
rhcp1253
rhcp1253 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Non-Touch
App Launcher

Is anyone working on a way to extend functionality of this exploit?
rhcp1253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #45
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhcp1253 View Post
Is anyone working on a way to extend functionality of this exploit?
what functionality do you want to see?

my wife could care less about these and thinks i only got the Kindle so i could have yet another technical gizmo to defeat

Tags
kindle 4th gen hack