Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
boren
boren began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any Nook Tablet alternative which is less suppressive of users?

Is there any 7" tablet that support Android Market and ideally support custom ROMs? Basically I'm looking for a device similar to the Nook Tablet, but without the closed and limiting software implementation:

- 7 inch IPS panel screen with 1024px wide resolution
- CPU/GPU/RAM combo that provides similar performance to the NT, specifically with regards to video playback, browser rendering speed and application switching and launching
- Built in mic
- Support memory cards (ideally SD). Larger than 8GB internal memory would be nice, but is not a must.
- Wifi, BT
- HDMI out
- Physical power and volume buttons; preferably additional customizable physical buttons
- Battery life and weight similar or better than Nook Tablet and Kindle Fire
- Nice to have: Comes with stylus, without compromising finger touch operation (i.e. capacitive, not resistive touchpad)

Price: Up to $300

Any such product available?
boren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
You can get an HTC Flyer for $299, although battery life only rated to 6 hours.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus probably meets all your criteria but it's $399.

I'm currently using a Nook Color running CM7, refurbs have been going for $129. It's got a slower processor and only 512 MB RAM but it's going to have to tide me over until the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 Wifi only is released.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
boren

Both the HTC and Samsung look very nice. Can you tell me where you can find the Flyer for $299?
Old 12-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boren View Post
Both the HTC and Samsung look very nice. Can you tell me where you can find the Flyer for $299?
Well Best Buy had them, I played with one as recently as 2 weeks ago at my local store, but it looks like they've been removed from the website.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
stwoodsus
stwoodsus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Try Craigslist

Try Craigslist or ebay for the Flyer - I like the CM7 mod for the Nook Color.
Low Cost and it works just like a Tablet - Android Market, various Launchers available I can vouch for it.
You can also buy or create Bootable MicroSD cards so you don't even have to change the base Nook at all - gives you an alternative.
Just search on the internet or try this link
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=860
stwoodsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
boren

Isn't the Nook Color a bit underpowered for videos and browsing (versus NT and KF)? Are you happy with its performance?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
barkndog
Enthusiast
barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle DX (1st gen), iPad, Toshiba Thrive, Acer Iconia A100
I returned a Nook Tablet and got an Acer Iconia A100. Very snappy 7 inch tablet. Meets your spec requirements except for the stylus. I recommend it.

The only bad items are the battery life (~ 5 hours max) and some people complain about less than perfect viewing angles (hasn't been an issue with me though).
barkndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
boren

The Acer is using a TN panel instead of IPS. There are some nice tablets with TN screens, such as the Dropad A9N which also supports 3G. The thing is, I do want an IPS panel. The colors and viewing angles are significantly better than TN in my experience.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I paid $190 for the Acer A100 on Black Thursday. IPS would've been nice, but certainly not a deal breaker at this price. I gave it to one of my kids.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkndog View Post
I returned a Nook Tablet and got an Acer Iconia A100. Very snappy 7 inch tablet. Meets your spec requirements except for the stylus. I recommend it.

The only bad items are the battery life (~ 5 hours max) and some people complain about less than perfect viewing angles (hasn't been an issue with me though).
I am entertaining returning the NT and getting the ACER but every Best Buy within 100 miles of me has it listed as unavailable with no shipping as well.

I played with in the store today and I had to connect WiFi and a few other things. A clerk came over and was impressed with it as well!

I won't mind trying the Acer for Honeycomb on the cheap. It is $259 at BB but I guess they could put any low price they want on it (much like the Blackberry Playbook for $199 which isn't available either)!

Last edited by robertc88; 12-28-2011 at 04:16 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
barkndog
Enthusiast
barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.barkndog can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle DX (1st gen), iPad, Toshiba Thrive, Acer Iconia A100
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
I am entertaining returning the NT and getting the ACER but every Best Buy within 100 miles of me has it listed as unavailable with no shipping as well.

I played with in the store today and I had to connect WiFi and a few other things. A clerk came over and was impressed with it as well!

I won't mind trying the Acer for Honeycomb on the cheap. It is $259 at BB but I guess they could put any low price they want on it (much like the Blackberry Playbook for $199 which isn't available either)!
Amazon has it today for 262 - click here. If you'll willing to game the system, sign up for Amazon's credit card and get $30 off your first purchase. You can pay off the credit card next month and you have the Iconia for 232.
barkndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I think the HTC Flyer is the best option at this pricepoint. Its Sprint clone, the HTC Evo View, has been available for $230-$280ish refurbed a few times lately.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #13
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Is the Coby Kyros 7 inch android 2.3 tablet any good? It is selling for 89.99 on Amazon.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
boren

Its screen is an 800x480 TN panel. Very poor.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #15
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
The Vizio 8" tablet is excellent. It has a 1024x768 screen, and comes with the Android Market installed by default. Great sound and battery life, too. You can pick them up for $198 from Wal-Mart.

I have had bad experiences with the Coby Kyros tablets. I got one of their 8125 tablets, but had to return it because the wifi didn't work. Replacement was no better.

The Vizio blows them out of the water and is nearly as cheap, so why bother?
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote