Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 01:28 AM   #31
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I have had the same issues as Braden - but thankfully only had to do the factory reset once (so far).

I theorized that the status bar and kobo apps crashing had to do with a complete battery drain (since it happened directly afterward, and I fear it was a corruption of some sort), but I have not been able to confirm that theory (other than a few people having some similar sort of issues after a full battery drain).
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #32
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
I can't get the Kobo's email app set up and working, so I just go to my ISP and use webmail instead. Not sure if that's a bug or just something unique to me. Anyone else have that problem?
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #33
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
I can't get the Kobo's email app set up and working, so I just go to my ISP and use webmail instead. Not sure if that's a bug or just something unique to me. Anyone else have that problem?
Can you give us some hints.. who is your ISP; what problems are you having?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #34
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Can you give us some hints.. who is your ISP; what problems are you having?
It's complicated. My email address is not the same as my username and ISP domain because the ISP changed ownership after I signed up. Normally, I can use the other username and new ISP domain, but the Kobo email doesn't understand whatever combinations I try and doesn't connect to the server, asking me to edit the details. It's no big deal because I get over 100 emails a day and wouldn't think of going through them on anything but my desktop PC. In a pinch, if I was away from home and had the Vox with me and WiFi available, I could always use webmail or one of my Gmail accounts.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #35
oldyellr
Evangelist

Not a bug, per se, but an addition to my wish list for the eReader. It's very basic compared to others, even the original Kobo reader. It annoys me no end if I browse other parts of a book (either deliberately or by accident) that I can't get back to where I was reading unless I memorize the chapter and page number. There needs to be a way to bookmark your place, not by just leaving the book.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #36
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
You can create annotations and use those as bookmarks, not an easy way to do it but it does work.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:28 PM   #37
mike998
Exasperated Kobo Lover
mike998 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
Not a bug, per se, but an addition to my wish list for the eReader. It's very basic compared to others, even the original Kobo reader. It annoys me no end if I browse other parts of a book (either deliberately or by accident) that I can't get back to where I was reading unless I memorize the chapter and page number. There needs to be a way to bookmark your place, not by just leaving the book.
Not to be pedantic, but if we start filling this thread up with wish lists, it dilutes it's purpose and makes Darnielle's job that little bit harder...

The Kobo Touch has a Wish List thread that's stickied, it may be an idea to put a request into the mods for a Wish List for new software for the Vox. The Kobo people seem to be quite interested in what we've got to say.

For what it's worth, I'm actually keeping my Touch as it's FAR better for simply reading books than the Vox.

Last edited by mike998; 12-15-2011 at 08:30 PM.
mike998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #38
oldyellr
Evangelist

Okay, a bug would be an unintended glitch. Omitting simple bookmarking is deliberate. So let's start a wish list thread. Stuff that other readers and tablets have that Vox should get. Maybe some features aren't practical with the Vox's processor and RAM, but then someone from the company can tell us. They won't know unless we ask for improvements.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #39
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Well, I think this is a new one. Last night, I put the Vox to sleep, as usual (it's actually been almost problem-free for a week!). I saw it waking up a few times in its sleep, which is now 'normal'. I tried to turn it on by pressing the on switch briefly - nothing. Pressing and holding the switch for 20 seconds or so got it to reboot - also now 'normal' for many here, apparently. I put it to sleep again and then something strange happened: the 3 menu buttons at the bottom of the Vox lit up, and stayed that way throughout the night. Of course, it wouldn't wake from sleep again, and only another 20 second press and hold brought it back to life with a reboot. I was going to say goodbye to the Vox, and this forum this morning - I don't know if I can stand much more - but I am still here. It's too bad, because I like the Vox, when it works. I expect the average buyer will not put up with all these problems, as we here do, and will simply return their devices. I predict that unless Kobo gets these problems fixed, in a hurry, the Vox will experience such HUGE returns, that it will die an early death.

Sent from my first generation iPad, which has never had a single problem

Last edited by easterncoyote; 12-15-2011 at 09:54 PM.
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #40
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Yeah that happens to me, it's part waking then freezes on. I make note of it as being a part of the sleep of death bug really. It either doesn't turn on, turns on then freezes. Or turns itself on then freezes on.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #41
enzonov
enzonov began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Ok, i don't know if this is new or not, but the latest thing to happen to me has me both worried and quite upset. Lady night i was reading with my Vox When it indicated that i had 10% or less battery left. So i tirned it off and them plugged it in to recharge.The indicator light come on Orange When i plugged it in. Today I'm sitting in my doctor's office and i decide to read a little. I rien it on and it's still at 10%. Them it shuts down. It Disn't charge at all lady night. Now I'm left wondering if it will ever charge again. This had been such a huge disappointment. You can't even trust it to charge itself. What use is the device you can't rely on to work When it's supposed to.
enzonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #42
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Enzonov, try prying off the back (just pops off easy.) and hitting the reset button. I think that's part of the battery not reporting right levels. It's done that to me before.. But I didn't know much about the reset button fixing the levels at the time.

My own newest bug...

When I start my vox up the status bar nor the lock screen starts up. It sometimes works fine like the, other times it'll freeze and I'll need to hard boot.

Oh and it doesn't go to sleep on it's own anymore. Not much of a complaint since I suffer from sleep of death but..
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #43
mike998
Exasperated Kobo Lover
mike998 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzonov View Post
Ok, i don't know if this is new or not, but the latest thing to happen to me has me both worried and quite upset. Lady night i was reading with my Vox When it indicated that i had 10% or less battery left. So i tirned it off and them plugged it in to recharge.The indicator light come on Orange When i plugged it in. Today I'm sitting in my doctor's office and i decide to read a little. I rien it on and it's still at 10%. Them it shuts down. It Disn't charge at all lady night. Now I'm left wondering if it will ever charge again. This had been such a huge disappointment. You can't even trust it to charge itself. What use is the device you can't rely on to work When it's supposed to.
I've encountered this problem as well, however, I only use the supplied charger.

I've also noticed now that my battery never goes above 70% charge. I've tried charging while the device is off, while the device is on and still won't get a charge above 70%. The orange charging light stays on and the battery still reports 70%.
mike998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #44
oldyellr
Evangelist

I may as well add this to the data base as one more sleep "incident". As a few others have reported, the Vox was just sitting here in sleep mode, when the screen blinked on and off. FWIW, I have the WiFi always off (airplane mode) when I don't need it.

This momentary awakening caused no problem. Who knows, maybe it happens quite often because I usually have the book cover closed, but this time it was open.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #45
enzonov
enzonov began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzonov View Post
Oh My!!! Typing on my cellphone isn't really a good idea. I can barely read what I wrote.

I'm trying to charge it again right now. We'll see what happens. I hope I don't have to pry off the back and hit the reset.
enzonov is offline   Reply With Quote