Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
karlcow
karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.karlcow once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: kobo touch
How To update (manually) the firmware of your Kobo ereader

A series of commande to update manually a firmware on the Kobo Touch. (Do at your own risk, do not do it if you are not comfortable with a shell)

This is was done on MacOSX 10.6. The most difficult part was to find the actual address of the firmware. After magical incantations and observing the clouds, we found the current firmware url

Code:
    curl -o ~/kobo3-upgrade-1.9.9.zip http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwares/kobo3/kobo3-upgrade-1.9.9.zip
The terminal will display.

Code:
      % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                     Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
    100 23.4M  100 23.4M    0     0  1007k      0  0:00:23  0:00:23 --:--:-- 1071k
You can see the content of the file with:

Code:
    unzip -l kobo3-upgrade-1.9.9.zip
which will display

Code:
    Archive:  kobo3-upgrade-1.9.9.zip
      Length     Date   Time    Name
     --------    ----   ----    ----
     22906325  07-28-11 15:55   KoboRoot.tgz
          102  07-28-11 15:57   manifest.md5sum
            0  07-11-11 15:23   upgrade/
      1862596  07-28-11 15:56   upgrade/uImage
       117252  07-28-11 15:56   upgrade/u-boot.bin
     --------                   -------
     24886275                   5 files
Plug the Kobo ereader. Do not start the desktop application
In the shell, it is possible to access the device directory.
On the macintosh

Code:
    cd /Volumes/KOBOeReader
to list all directories including those starting with a dot (hidden unix files)

Code:
    ls -al
There is a .kobo/ directory

Code:
    ls -al .kobo
will list the content of the system

Code:
   total 2000
    drwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl   4,0K  2 aoû 19:33:02 2011 ./
    drwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl   4,0K 24 jul 14:58:04 2011 ../
    drwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl   4,0K 22 jul 02:08:20 2011 Kobo/
    -rwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl   1,9M  2 aoû 21:35:40 2011 KoboReader.sqlite*
    -rwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl   3,3K 22 jul 02:42:22 2011 Trolltech.conf*
    -rwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl    31B  2 aoû 19:33:04 2011 affiliate.conf*
    -rwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl    75B 22 jul 02:08:20 2011 device.salt.conf*
    drwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl    52K  4 jul 01:05:40 2011 images/
    drwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl   4,0K  4 jul 01:05:40 2011 kepub/
    -rwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl    83B 22 jul 02:08:18 2011 version*
We want to unzip the zip file, we downloaded into the .kobo directory.
To be sure to have a security backup, I did before a compressed archive of the full volume.

Code:
   tar zcvf ~/kobo-bkp.tar.gz /Volumes/KOBOeReader/
Now let's proceed on unzipping

Code:
   unzip ~/kobo3-upgrade-1.9.9.zip -d /Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo/
The terminal displays:

Code:
   Archive:  kobo3-upgrade-1.9.9.zip
      inflating: /Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo/KoboRoot.tgz  
      inflating: /Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo/manifest.md5sum  
       creating: /Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo/upgrade/
      inflating: /Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo/upgrade/uImage  
      inflating: /Volumes/KOBOeReader/.kobo/upgrade/u-boot.bin
If we display again the content of .kobo directory, we get

Code:
   total 24388
    drwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl   4,0K  2 aoû 21:07:36 2011 ./
    drwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl   4,0K  2 aoû 21:09:44 2011 ../
    -rwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl   4,0K  2 aoû 21:07:36 2011 ._KoboRoot.tgz*
    -rwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl   4,0K  2 aoû 21:07:36 2011 ._manifest.md5sum*
    drwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl   4,0K 22 jul 02:08:20 2011 Kobo/
    -rwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl   1,9M  2 aoû 21:35:40 2011 KoboReader.sqlite*
    -rwxrwxrwx@ 1 karl  karl    22M 28 jul 15:55:54 2011 KoboRoot.tgz*
    -rwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl   3,3K 22 jul 02:42:22 2011 Trolltech.conf*
    -rwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl    31B  2 aoû 19:33:04 2011 affiliate.conf*
    -rwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl    75B 22 jul 02:08:20 2011 device.salt.conf*
    drwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl    52K  4 jul 01:05:40 2011 images/
    drwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl   4,0K  4 jul 01:05:40 2011 kepub/
    -rwxrwxrwx@ 1 karl  karl   102B 28 jul 15:57:02 2011 manifest.md5sum*
    drwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl   4,0K  2 aoû 21:07:36 2011 upgrade/
    -rwxrwxrwx  1 karl  karl    83B 22 jul 02:08:18 2011 version*
let's come back to our home folder

Code:
   cd ~
Let's eject the volume KOBOeReader from the desktop.
unplug the reader from the computer. The Kobo should display a screen saying "Updating your Software" for a while, then a "Update Successful". Finally the device will reboot with your home screen giving a message about the version number. In our case 1.9.9
karlcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

It can also be done via drag-and-drop, no need for the Terminal if someone should be afraid of it :

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
It's easy to manually update the firmware. And works like a charm. Just download the firmware.

http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...rade-1.9.9.zip

Unpack the zip file into the .kobo directory on the Kobo, eject and unplug, and the Kobo should update itself.
The only difference for a Mac OS user is that the .kobo folder is hidden (because it is supposed to be, the . does that).

In the Finder, go to the Kobo's memory ("KOBOeReader"), then in the menu bar select "Go / Go to Folder ..." (or press "shift+cmd+G"), type .kobo into the pull-down and press enter. Voilà, you are inside KOBOeReader/.kobo/

Then proceed as described by rashkae.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	go-to-folder.png
Views:	2093
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	75518  

Last edited by Benjamin Buford; 08-17-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:34 AM   #3
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

Kobo has pulled the old firmware versions and seems to be not putting the new one up anymore, at least not at the URL that was mentioned above. 1.9.12 is still available though, for whatever reason.

Does anyone have a new URL for firmware releases?

I prefer updating my Touch manually, because the automatic sync of the Desktop application can not be disabled.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
markemark
Enthusiast
markemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Buford View Post
Does anyone have a new URL for firmware releases?
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...ate-1.9.14.zip

Quote:
I prefer updating my Touch manually, because the automatic sync of the Desktop application can not be disabled.
Sounds like you'd like them to add a checkbox to enable/disable automatic updates. A good idea I think.
markemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Thiis is no longer as useful as it used to be. If you have to do a factory reset, the Kobo with .14 firmware now completely refuses to work as an epub reader until you go through the desktop applicatoin set-up. (otherwise, it refuses to load any new books you sideload, and instead pops up a message that you have to dowloand/install/run setup on your pc before you can add books).
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
ndr76
ndr76 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Thiis is no longer as useful as it used to be. If you have to do a factory reset, the Kobo with .14 firmware now completely refuses to work as an epub reader until you go through the desktop applicatoin set-up. (otherwise, it refuses to load any new books you sideload, and instead pops up a message that you have to dowloand/install/run setup on your pc before you can add books).
Yes I'm having the same problem.
It might be possible that the state of whether the setup has been done or not is saved in the .kobo folder. So once you have set it up just make a copy of all its flash content, including the .kobo folder.
After a factory reset, all you will have to do is just restore all the content (delete the 2 pre-existing folders beginning with '.' first).
I have't tried it yet, but I will as soon as I get my hands on a Windows machine.
ndr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
Geeky
Enthusiast
Geeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdomGeeky is an endless font of wit and wisdom

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndr76 View Post
I have't tried it yet, but I will as soon as I get my hands on a Windows machine.
If you need a Windows machine because of the Kobo Desktop software, it can be done using Wine&Winetricks as well. Winetricks offers the Kobo software in it's app section (sorted under Borders, not Kobo). It installs 2.1.2, which upgrades itself later on to the latest version (2.1.5?). Anyway, after changing the device type of the KOBOeReader from auto to floppy everything worked, which left me kind of baffled, tbh.. Check out the last posts:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=82378&page=18

BTW, downloading the Kobo desktop binary and trying to install it didn't work, only the winetricks with the offered "Borders" app worked for me. Go figure.
Geeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Of course if you don't like command terminals you can just drag and drop the .zip file into .kobo and unpack. much more simple in my opinion.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:47 AM   #9
PhunkyBob
Enthusiast
PhunkyBob doesn't litterPhunkyBob doesn't litter

Good day,

I downloaded the

file, and unpacked all the files as described in the first post.

When I unplug the Kobo, the update is not happening.
I switched off the Kobo, and when turning it on again, it directly go to the library, without updating.
I'm still in 1.9.12 version.

Did I miss something ?
PhunkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhunkyBob View Post
Good day,

I switched off the Kobo, and when turning it on again, it directly go to the library, without updating.

Did I miss something ?
You did not unpack the files to the right place.. They have to go in the .kobo directory.

Question for you though. If you are using an unregistered kobo, installing this update will disable the device until you do the Kobo Desktop software setup procedure. So why not update that way?
Old 12-09-2011, 03:34 AM   #11
PhunkyBob
Enthusiast
PhunkyBob doesn't litterPhunkyBob doesn't litter

Quote:
You did not unpack the files to the right place..
Yes I did...

Quote:
installing this update will disable the device until you do the Kobo Desktop software setup procedure.
I didn't knew that...
PhunkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
rashkae
Wizard

Welcome to the brave new world of Kobo. Wish I could help, but I've ditched the turkey in favor of Sony.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #13
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Welcome to the brave new world of Kobo. Wish I could help, but I've ditched the turkey in favor of Sony.
I still have my Kobo Touch, and will likely give it to my husband but I too, am making fluttery eyelashes in Sony T1's direction.

I'm avoiding the Christmas Rush and saving up for whatever the cost will be later. Maybe for Valentine's day, or for Birthday in the spring, will be a better time for me to get one. Then my husband will likely get the KT as he has been the fixer of it every time I've had to do a factory reset.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #14
Julien Pham
Connoisseur
Julien Pham began at the beginning.

I have seen the Sony, the Kobo, and the Cybook Odyssey before choosing the Kobo, mostly because I found the Kobo the most pretty of the three Sony plastic looks like cheap material, I don't like the Sony look and feel, and the Cybook was only in dark gray, don't find this pretty.

The Kobo's white color and clean shape was better for me
Julien Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #15
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhunkyBob View Post
Good day,

I downloaded the

Did I miss something ?
I'm having the name problem. Reboot does nothing at all.
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, kobo, kobo touch, update