Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Stuttering when WiFi turned OFF

So here's an interesting thing I found.

I used the KF extensively last night with WiFi turned on. Everything worked very well and the UI was very responsive. I turned OFF WiFi and then settled in for a good hour of reading before bed. After a minute or so I noticed that the UI stuttered on page turns. I put the thought aside thinking that maybe all of my tinkering last night made the thing a little unstable.

This morning, at work, I started playing with it some more and noticed the stuttering again. So I rebooted. That didn't seem to fix anything. Page turns animations stuttered and opening and closing books also stuttered. On a hunch, I turned on the WiFi and connected to my hotspot at work, and then, bam, everything was working smooth as butter again.

My first thought is that maybe the whispersync is doing this. But I can't find any settings to let me turn off whispersync to see if that's the problem.

Very strange!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
I went to the Kindle management web site and noticed that whispersync is turned off (via these instructions: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200775230 ) . I'll have to see if it was actually synching or not.

In the meantime, I'm chatting with Kindle support.

UPDATE: They had me try a factory reset but that didn't improve the situation. They said they would have to email me when a resolution is found.

Last edited by astrodad; 11-18-2011 at 10:01 AM.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote