Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
ron1959
Connoisseur
ron1959 began at the beginning.

Device: potential kobo vox owner
How can the kobo vox be improved?

Now that you've had the vox for a while, is there a wish list you have for the next model?
Or missing features that should have been included in this model?
I'm still sitting on the fence on whether to buy it or not. I would pay more money to get more tablet like features...faster , bluetooth, mic, etc.
Maybe there should be a 2nd vox available....the kobo vox plus or something like that....lol
ron1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
kaikara
Zealot
kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaikara ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox
There are lots of options if you want to pay more. If spend around 300 you can get a more powerful android tablet with more features. I think the Vox is good the way it is. Adding any features to it will just make it more expensive.
kaikara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
ron1959
Connoisseur
ron1959 began at the beginning.

Device: potential kobo vox owner
sure, of course more features will add to the cost.
So are you are saying saying there is nothing that can be done to improve the kobo vox?
Wouldn't you like to see more memory for example, or better customer support?

I actually have been wondering if the kobo vox offers enough memory for the average user. Buying an optional 16gb microsd can add to the cost too, so maybe it should be an option for internal memory (like other tablet manufacturers do).
ron1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kobo is marketing the Vox as an ereader with added capabilities. As such, once the bugs are fixed, it seems just fine to me. If I were in the market for a tablet on which one could read books, I would have spent more money.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Vox
The vox itself is great and don't need anything else for me.
What should be done is all software for me. I understand that the cpu is not really powerful, but it's not suppose to be a full-fledge tablet, but an ereader.

Need to correct the bug (like the battery not charging...), the screen opening randomly when in sleep, the freeze...
Maybe give us help to install other rom on the device would be cool.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The other rom thing is for rooted devices. That help will not be forthcoming from Kobo

Frankly, I am beginning to understand why Nook is locked down when you purchase it. The Nook folks are not responsible for anything other than what they choose to include. Rooting voids the warranty and then folks are on their own.

Not excusing problems Kobo should have fixed prior to launch, by any means, but they are having to support devices that have been modified and Nooks does not. I expect that tech support will be advising people to do factory resets to avoid that kind of thing--sort of like some computer tech folks do when they seem to automatically re-install Windows at the drop of a hat.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Well, I don't say they shouldn't void the warranty, I'm saying the people who worked on it can help the developer to bring some support (From what jefftheworld said, kobo might help us for this).
If they help, it can make all this safer, the nook color is practicality un-brickable, can boot from the microsd card and have CM7 that simply bring a whole new world to it.

Of course, I want them to correct the problem in the base vox before everything else, because most people will use the stock thing.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
Michael Sherman
Michael Sherman began at the beginning.

What I miss the most is the integrated dictionary of the Touch. Not sure about previous readers. Now one has to remember the word, close the reader, open up dictionary, manually enter the word, read definition, close dictionary, Read Now to current book and then carry on, instead of just pressing down on the word and up it comes. That is seamless and entirely intuitive. Anyone know of other software which does this on the Vox?
Michael Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:02 AM   #9
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
The other rom thing is for rooted devices. That help will not be forthcoming from Kobo

Frankly, I am beginning to understand why Nook is locked down when you purchase it. The Nook folks are not responsible for anything other than what they choose to include. Rooting voids the warranty and then folks are on their own.

Not excusing problems Kobo should have fixed prior to launch, by any means, but they are having to support devices that have been modified and Nooks does not. I expect that tech support will be advising people to do factory resets to avoid that kind of thing--sort of like some computer tech folks do when they seem to automatically re-install Windows at the drop of a hat.
Modifying the software on your e-ink Kobo would void the warranty, too. However, the developers put up a github page and offered help in aftermarket modification with source code and documentation. They're actually awesome for the level of dedication to helping you hack Kobo devices, with staff that have emailed me back promptly on questions I have about their source code. This is clearly above and beyond.

According to Kobo there are already plans to do the same for the Vox. Obviously it's just recently launched, so I'm not worried about it not being up yet, but based on previous experience it'll be up soon and it'll let nerds like me do awesome things for nerds like you.

On the topic of Kobo vs. Nook, they are no different in terms of liability for support. The only difference is the fact that the Vox is far more open for those who wish to take advantage of that.

In terms the bugs that the Kobo has - and must give support for - those are issues that Kobo can/will fix and it isn't being caused by 3rd-party apps. Rooting is outside of that and of course that'll void the warranty, but installing 3rd-party apps should not be something to be afraid of. If you have an issue with a 3rd-party app, that 3rd party can [maybe] help.

Imagine if you took your laptop into a shop and the clerk there said, "Sorry, we can't help you, you've installed something on here we don't support." Or if your harddrive died and when you tried to get it replaced under warranty they said "Oh, you had Linux installed on there? Sorry, we don't support Linux." On the flip side of that, imagine calling Microsoft to tell them that Pidgin keeps crashing. They'd hang up on you.

I don't think that companies like B&N and Amazon lock down their devices to avoid having to support 3rd-party content, they do it to prevent people from doing anything they want on the device. Amazon doesn't want you to install the Kobo App on their device, Kobo is fine with you installing the Kindle app on theirs.

(Note: Okay, probably not fine with it. But they allow it because they're not quite so anti-competitive. Read; they aint scared!)
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:21 AM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I think we are talking potatoes-potahtoes, Jeff. The end result is that Kobo made it possible to do all sorts of things that the others have not/will not--even without rooting. If they provide tech assistance to folks who want to do even more, good on them.

That being said, I would not be surprised to find that when people have heavily modified their Vox, Kobo tech support might advise people to do a return to factory default deal when they cannot easily find a solution. There will be people who install sketchy apps from sketchy places and, having worked tech support (but not for Kobo), trust me, they never tell you about those trips to the weird side when they call in.

BTW, as I am playing with my Vox (or other tech kit) I keep my own little change log. That way, if a problem surfaces, I can undo things one at a time, working backwards, until all is well.

Last edited by taming; 11-07-2011 at 07:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #11
blacknirvana
Connoisseur
blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.blacknirvana could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I don't want to change much about the Vox itself. but the Kobo software could need and upgrade. I works fine but I would love the option to sort my books into genre categories, and have a book shelf for book I finished, to me its almost like a little trophy when you can close a book and say "done!"
blacknirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #12
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sherman View Post
What I miss the most is the integrated dictionary of the Touch. Not sure about previous readers. Now one has to remember the word, close the reader, open up dictionary, manually enter the word, read definition, close dictionary, Read Now to current book and then carry on, instead of just pressing down on the word and up it comes. That is seamless and entirely intuitive. Anyone know of other software which does this on the Vox?
I also miss it
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I am sure that is coming. We have the 1.0 version of the app. At least they got sync right, that is still a problem on the iOS tablet app.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #14
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Re: Dictionary. If you've got the Kindle App you can download the dictionary and have it present. There's also the Mirriam-Webster one.
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
yoshid
yoshid began at the beginning.

I'd like to chip in the need to add an function to prevent the screen from rotating while reading a book. I'm surprised that it was omitted in this release.
having said that, for the $200 bones I paid for this device I am very happy with it. it does exactly what was advertised it would do and with a little bit of research and basic modifications I got it working pretty smoothly.
yoshid is offline   Reply With Quote