Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-01-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
Indigo Ink
The curious one!
Indigo Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook, Ebookman 901
Help me find the smallest free mobipocket dictionary

I need some help! As You can see (from the info on the left) I have an ancient ebookreader which has only 8 MB space I was wondering if there is a small (in size) dictionary available for free which I can try (I am not sure how well the lookup function will work on my device)

thanks in advance!
Indigo Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You could download the free sample of one of the commercial dictionaries from MobiPocket and see how well that works.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
Indigo Ink
The curious one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You could download the free sample of one of the commercial dictionaries from MobiPocket and see how well that works.
good idea

By the way is there is difference in .mobi and .prc dictionary files? I mean, do they behave differently?
Old 05-02-2008, 12:25 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Ink View Post
good idea

By the way is there is difference in .mobi and .prc dictionary files? I mean, do they behave differently?
They are the same. The .prc extension is overused on Palm devices and so Mobipocket uses .mobi on pc but there is still plenty of cases where .prc is still in use. For practical purposes there is no difference, you can change the extension if you wish.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:17 AM   #5
Indigo Ink
The curious one!

Quote:
Now I need to find a small dictionary (ideally around 2mb). The ones on mobipocket site are all 4 MB plus.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:18 AM   #6
Indigo Ink
The curious one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
They are the same. The .prc extension is overused on Palm devices and so Mobipocket uses .mobi on pc but there is still plenty of cases where .prc is still in use. For practical purposes there is no difference, you can change the extension if you wish.

Dale
thanks for clarifying that.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:43 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Ink View Post
Now I need to find a small dictionary (ideally around 2mb). The ones on mobipocket site are all 4 MB plus.
How useful is a 2MB dictionary going to be, in terms of the number of words in it, and the length of its definitions? The Mobi dictionary I use on my CyBook is 36MB .

Have you considered getting a 2nd hand Palm or Pocket PC from eBay? Something which supports SD cards? That gives you virtually limitless storage space, and cost peanuts.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 03:24 AM   #8
Indigo Ink
The curious one!

Quote:
How useful is a 2MB dictionary going to be, in terms of the number of words in it, and the length of its definitions? The Mobi dictionary I use on my CyBook is 36MB .

Have you considered getting a 2nd hand Palm or Pocket PC from eBay? Something which supports SD cards? That gives you virtually limitless storage space, and cost peanuts.
Well I veering towards a similar but a simpler solution ebookman, the device that I have supports MMC cards, they are more expensive than SD but I think I will get one…or..mmmm. should I finally buy a sony/cybook/iliad…or wait for the 9.7 inch ones to come out ...no better go for a MMC...